onX Maps
Co. Elk hunt / calling, Timing the rut ?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
mattfish7 24-Jun-15
mattfish7 24-Jun-15
Mad_Angler 24-Jun-15
Mad_Angler 24-Jun-15
Paul@thefort 24-Jun-15
Mad_Angler 24-Jun-15
Buglmin 24-Jun-15
sticksender 24-Jun-15
Treeline 24-Jun-15
mattfish7 24-Jun-15
md5252 24-Jun-15
txhunter58 24-Jun-15
Orange Feather 25-Jun-15
turkeyhunter 29-Jul-15
Ghostinthemachine 29-Jul-15
24-Jun-15
Looking for a little help from the locals here, I'm planning a DIY Pack in hunt high Country hunt, unit 65 Colorado, trying to nail down good calling timing, shooting for 2nd week of Sept, but not sure, also thinking about pack stock, mule or goat,in contact information or input would be helpful. Thanks

Mattfish7

24-Jun-15
Looking for a little help from the locals here, I'm planning a DIY Pack in hunt, high Country hunt, unit 65 Colorado, trying to nail down good dates for calling/ Rut timing, shooting for 2nd week of Sept, but not sure, also thinking about pack stock, mule or goat,any contact information or input would be helpful. Thanks

Mattfish7

24-Jun-15

Mad_Angler's Link
Here is another thread that tries to answer the same question:

24-Jun-15

Mad_Angler's Link
And here is another great discussion from another site:

24-Jun-15
Something to think about. Colorado's muzzleloading elk season starts on Sept. 12th.-20th.

24-Jun-15
Paul,

How big of a problem are the muzzleloaders? I see that they can't have scopes. That might limit some guys.

Are there orange guys behind every tree?

Do bowhunters also have to wear orange?

24-Jun-15
Black powder numbers are limited, and whoever started the "orange behind every tree" was an idiot"!! Why do guys think that out of all the limited black powder tags, everyone is going to be right where they are hunting? Nine times outa ten, you won't even see the black powder guys.

No, bowhunters dont have to wear blaze orange, and black powder guys won't be a problem. In reality, it might be you that walks in on a black powder hunter when he is working a bull. And yessir, that happens a lot cause guys can't tell the difference in a bull or hunter. Just most guys are too embarrassed to admit it.

24-Jun-15
If I was limited to one week, and wanted the best chance for the most rut action, I'd go the last week of the season.

24-Jun-15
I have found that the best time to call in a bull is the week before muzzle loader season. That is my favorite time to hunt elk.

The most rut action is typically the last week - last weekend of the season. Very hard to get on the herd bulls then, though. You have to play cat and mouse. Lots of cows and satellite bulls to contend with. Can get really interesting if you can get in the middle of two herds coming together and the two herd bulls actually going at it! You can literally run right up to them and pick one to shoot...

Everywhere I have hunted in CO, the elk tend to shut down the day before the ML season starts and not get back into it until the last weekend of ML season. I typically leave my calls at home or go to only the cow call when the ML season starts.

24-Jun-15
Well, seems like everybody has there preferred times to hunt,I was thinking 5th-12th, but not sure, going to hunt high, I've hunted the unit before,went late season, outfitter said you should of been here during Muzzle season, we did get into Elk, but was a tough hunt so was thinking earlier

Thanks Mattfish7

24-Jun-15
I hunted the last week in sept last season and the calling/rut activity was non existent. I went on public land (flat tops) with a reputable outfitter too. It's not so much the muzzleloaders its 4 weeks of constant pressure that really killed us.

Go early or go on private land. Just my 2 cents.

24-Jun-15
There were 150 bull muzzleloaders in unit 64/65 last year. There are probably more cow tags than that. Having never hunted there before, I can't comment beyond that

25-Jun-15
I normally hear the most calling the middle to end of muzzle loader season. I would normally see a couple of muzzle loaders a day. A bow hunter every third day.

29-Jul-15
Looking for outfitter in unit 64/65 CO for bow hunting elk in 2016 or 2017. Can anyone recommend an outfitter for 4 or 5 hunters.

29-Jul-15
I've bowhunted CO since the late 80s and have come to the conclusion that the last week and a half is the best time to be there.

Early can be good too, but the conditions have to be just right to sit on waterholes or seeps.

When the bulls are really sounding off, the whole thing seems to get much easier IMO. I like the action of the full rut

• Sitka Gear