Hossfisher 28-Jun-15
cityhunter 28-Jun-15
luckyleo 28-Jun-15
Hossfisher 29-Jun-15
midwest 29-Jun-15
luckyleo 29-Jun-15
luckyleo 29-Jun-15
27-Jun-15
Hunting solo this year in unit 24 Colorado . Any words of advice and is anyone else solo this year. I'm pretty confident that I have all the necessary equipment but I'm trying to get grip on how to get started. I've hunted the area last year for my first elk hunt with an outfitter on a drop camp. Is it wrong for me to hunt the area that I learned threw the outfitter. Like I said in the beginning any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance Leo

27-Jun-15
I'm sure the outfitter would prefer you pay him to hunt the area but public land is just that. Also sure you won't be the first guy to take that route. Good luck! Advice...Don't take to much stuff with you, keep it simple and stay mobile/ flexible.

27-Jun-15
Big dog 21 I shot a elk with no recovery last year. No one else in my group can go back this year and it would to expensive to go with him by myself! Thanks

27-Jun-15
Just make sure you can get an elk out by yourself, whenever you go. I wouldn't expect him to work a deal with you to pack it out if you're jumping in on his spot, especially if he has paying hunters in there.

This is why I always caution people about doing a public land drop camp, because the guys from the previous years might be right back in there.

27-Jun-15
It would be nice of you to give the drop camp area a little room. There most likely will be hunters in there to compete with and it is the right thing to do for you and the outfitter that operates in there.

As Jaq stated, make sure you do not go any farther than you can get an elk out. 4 round trips can take a toll on you mentally and physically.

27-Jun-15
I don't know if it's the wrong thing because at the end of the day it is public land, but in my opinion its not the right thing. Typically outfitters use the same areas for drop camps and there will probably be a drop camp there again this year.

Leo, lets say you really like this spot.... you hunted it last year and its a great area. Now lets say you decide to take me with you because you don't want to go alone. Thanks for taking me and I promise me and my buddies won't be there next year.. Ha ha...

3 options to think about. 1, hunt the area because it is public land. 2, call the outfitter and let him know what your plan is. And 3, invest some time in unit 24 and find an area of your own to hunt.

Leo, elk hunting is a blast and I hope you have a great hunt.

27-Jun-15
Its public land, and you paid the outfitter last year. That is the end of any obligation. I have a real issue with outfitters who think they own areas just because they hunt there every year. There is nothing I like better than packing an elk out past an outfit with hunters!

However I generally like to hunt away from other people and areas with outfits tend to get extra pressure. I would use that area as a plan A, but also use your time to check out some other places

27-Jun-15
Well guys prior to last year I never hunted elk. The guys I hunted with last year have hunted with the outfitter for a few years prior. In the process of hunting that week I would hunt away from camp two or three miles and hunt my way back to camp. In one of those day hunts I realized that I was only a half a mile from where the outfitter picked us up at the trail head. So not really knowing any other places to hunt elk I thought I would start there with the experience I gained from last year. Last year when I talked to the outfitter he said that he almost never gets any muzzleloader hunters. So with that being said I thought that the week of muzzy season might be the best for that area to start and branch out to other areas threw out the week. I do under stand that there is a lot work to do if I were harvest a elk and that doesn't scare me. Prior to last year I just loved bowhunting and now I just love to bowhunting for elk. I'm hooked that's why I'm going by myself when my friends back out this year! Thanks again

27-Jun-15
One more thing I did see other hunters last year and it really didn't bother me because we where still seeing animals. Thanks

27-Jun-15
knowledge of a area is golden. Glad to see u got the elk bug! be safe ! just give respect to his paying clients .

27-Jun-15
My take on it is that a drop camp is just transportation and lodging. Not much different than if I chose to fly United to New York and stayed at a Hilton when on vacation. If I want to go back to New York the next year am I obligated to use United and Hilton again? Of course not. I could fly American to and from the same airports and stay at the Embassy suites that is right next to the Hilton. Or I could drive myself and camp in Central Park.

28-Jun-15
Aspens Ghost, I would agree with you if you chose the hunting area in which to be transported. But part of the "drop camp" is being shown an area that holds elk. Regardless of how we feel about outfitters (of course we all despise them until we need/use one) there should still be a little bit of respect for the knowledge of the elk area they sold to you by showing you the place.

IMO it's not much different from going back to a place on public land that an acquaintance showed you.

28-Jun-15
I'm sorry but public land is public land in my opinion. Is it slightly bad form to hunt the exact same area? yes. Would it be a little awkward if you were to run into him in the field? probably. Are there many many other good public land options with elk? absolutely. If you decide to go to a different spot and learn a new area you will most likely be happy you did. But, at the end of the day you have just as much right to be there as he does and if that is the route you choose, that's fine.

28-Jun-15
It is interesting to consider if the outfitter was allowed to open a new area for drop camps, would he consider how it would impact the DYI hunters who may have been using that area for years.

28-Jun-15
"In one of those day hunts I realized that I was only a half a mile from where the outfitter picked us up at the trail head."

If I was going to be using an outfitter for a drop camp, I would be using them to get me where I couldn't get to or pack out an elk on my own and that would be more than a few miles in! How could this outfitter or anyone hunting with him NOT expect to have some competition when you're "packed in" this close to the trailhead???

28-Jun-15
Bowonly- good point!

28-Jun-15
"In one of those day hunts I realized that I was only a half a mile from where the outfitter picked us up at the trail head."

I agree with midwest.

First I expect this outfitter did not give you one of his prime drop camp spots if it was only a half mile from the trailhead! For sure, drop camps are never given spots better than full guided hunts unless you pick the spot and insist to be dropped there.

Second let me relate how an outfitter treated my group before I started using my llamas to pack us in and out. We hunt OTC in southern CO.

We had run into the outfitter multiple times at the trailhead and had developed a cordial relationship. Real nice guy and we still get along great. We knew where he took his clients about 7 miles in and we had always set up about 3 miles in but a fair amount off his route and totally avoided hunting close to his camp.

One year my buddy got a real nice 6x6 close to our camp and decided to give the outfitter a call to pack out the bull. Worked great and with me being an old fart at 67yo it was a treat!

Guess where the outfitter had additional camps the next year and every year since??? Not only 1/2 mile down the valley we always hunted but was sending clients to hunt near the kill site of our big bull. In addition another camp was positioned smack dab in the middle of a nice small bowl just one mile north of us and finally another just 1 mile in closer to the road east of us. A real bummer!

We re-learned the Elk101 lesson well! IE: DON"T TELL ANYONE WHERE YOU SHOT A BIG BULL!!

Honey holes never last. No hard feelings, that's just how public land hunting is now-a-days. Almost surrounded we now use Plan B and do not intend to get pack help on any big bulls.

Finally we always give other hunters, guided or not,lots of space for our own sake! Second, I try to camp where it is inconvenient for horses.

Enjoy your 4th of July!! To all you veterans, thanks you for your service! Larry

28-Jun-15
Larry i would never ask anybody that hunts to pack out a bull

28-Jun-15
Midwest please let me clarify. When I said I was a half of a mile away from the trailhead that day I actually hunted down to that point about 3 1/2 miles from camp with quite abit of elevation change. Thanks for your input!!!!

29-Jun-15
Luckyleo thanks for clarifying. I'll temper my past comments some then.

If you and the outfitter got along well and are still on good terms you might need him for a pack out! Especially if you go solo in 3-4miles with quite a bit of elevation change(say 1500-2000ft). I'd be tempted to give him a call and let him know your solo and financial situation and your plans to give his clients some room but ask if he is available for packing out if you get one down close by. You could also confirm if he has any clients during muzzleloader. Never hurts to talk.

In a popular unit I imagine he sees quite a few DIY backpack hunters setting up 3-4 miles in from a trailhead in addition to the hard core day hunters hiking in from the trailhead. You said you saw some last year.

Finally if this is your second year elk hunting there are a bunch of threads and info on going solo here on the forum. Check them out or start another thread and ask for advise.

Sounds like 4 miles in with lots of altitude change might require several friends or a packer. If I remember right outfitters are assigned areas in CO. Even if you are not in his spot that outfitter might be your best friend this year!!

Give him a call. He might even point you to an alternative spot where you could get one out by yourself or areas he is available to pack one out for you.

29-Jun-15
I understood completely, luckyleo. Like I said, a few miles in is not very far to be packed in.

Regardless of where you end up this fall, enjoy your solo hunt. It's a great experience!

29-Jun-15
Once again thanks for the info. I truly enjoy getting other hunters input. Leo

29-Jun-15
Once again thanks for the info. I truly enjoy getting other hunters input. Leo

• Sitka Gear