Chaseasl 20-Jul-15
BTM 22-Jul-15
BULELK1 23-Jul-15
Scotty 23-Jul-15
oldgoat 23-Jul-15
HH1 23-Jul-15
HH1 23-Jul-15
27-Jun-15
This might be blasphemy but i think I'll take my wife this year. It is really just an armed scouting tripsince I've never been grow l before. I am really trying to learn for a real hunt September 2016.

Here ismy thought...

We drive together. Having her will make the 19 hour drive a lot easier and more fun.

We hang out the first day to set up camp and get acclimated to the altitude.

Next day, we hunt/hike. We won't cover as much ground as if i was alone but I'll be carrying all the gear so it shouldn't be much different.

We can also sit and glass. Two spotters are better than one. She can hang out there if we see something.

Then, the next day, she can go into town and explore. Then, i can hunt harder.

We'll keep this up for a few days. Then, she'll fly home and I'll continue alone.

So, what do you think? Am i crazy?

Any ideas to make it work better?

27-Jun-15
you're right....its blasphemy....:)

27-Jun-15
you're right....its blasphemy....:)

27-Jun-15

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
My wife is my favorite hunting partner. She deer and turkey hunts by herself. She's killed a nice 6 pt. Bull elk, a super QL caribou, mule deer, antelope , and a great Kudu in Zimbabwe. She is a great hunter and a great hunting partner.

27-Jun-15
I personally love hunting with my wife. She loves to hunt and be afield. Totally works for us.

27-Jun-15
My wife never hunted until we met. Would not dream of hunting without her. One of the best hunters I know.

27-Jun-15
Worst case scenario you will wind up divorced and meet a beautiful young chick with a 10,000 acre ranch in the heart of elk country ! But then, you'll eventually wake up....................

Hey, if it works, go for it ! You both might enjoy it ! Good luck !

27-Jun-15
And. ..I'm not in as good of shape as if hope for elk hunting.

Hunting hard every day may be just what i need.

27-Jun-15
its all worth doing once!

27-Jun-15
Why would it be blasphemy? In the area that I usually elk hunt I'd say about 20% of the guys are hunting with their wives.

My wife doesn't hunt but likes hanging out at base camp, enjoying the scenery and relaxing. And a nice bonus is that there is nothing like smelling supper cooking as you close in on camp after a day in the mountains.

27-Jun-15
I love it when my wife is with me, yeah it slows me down some but that's worked out all right a few took times and I spotted elk while I was w waiting for her instead of blowing them out! She's also hit the call just the right time and got the elk to come in when I couldn't call because I was in view of the elk plus it's nice to have help getting ready for the next day, she makes sandwiches etc while I fill water bags and what not!!! I wouldn't want to be out there with anyone else and I get to go some by myself anyways because I work four on and four off so I go by myself on the days she works and we usually have a weeks vacation together and go.

27-Jun-15
Sounds like fun. My wife is not a hunter but enjoys deer camp. I doubt I could get her to go elk hunting, but I think you have a good approach.

27-Jun-15
I elk hunt with my wife every year, yes it slows me down, but everything she contributes is well worth it. She calls, tracks a blood trail, cook amazing dinners and deserts, pineapple upside down cake with whipped crème. Try it you will like it.

27-Jun-15
Not for me. My wife and I love each other as far as I know? She has her thing and I have mine. My trips are way to hard core for her and her trips to the mall scare the crap out of me:)

If it works for you that is great but I need some alone time now and then.

27-Jun-15

Seriously? Blasphemy? Spending a few days with the person who is supposed to be your best friend, in a special place like elk country?

I have friends who go, hunt their butts off while their wives hang around camp, fish, go wherever, they may go shopping in Vail or somewhere but when hubby gets an elk down they put their grubbies on and go help with the cutting and packing.

If you'd rather hunt solo, sounds like a sweat deal as you described.

Man, if I offered my wife a chance to go sleep in a tent for a week or two, far from the nearest road, no showers, no flush toilet...she'd be all over it!

We sure do a lot of trips where I fish from before sunrise to after sunset and both love it. Getting to talk on the drive up and back, is one of the things I like the best.

27-Jun-15
Best thing that ever happened to me was when my wife decided to hunt. Best hunting partner I have ever had.

27-Jun-15
My wife has been closer to more bugling Bulls than most of my friends.

It all starts with the interview.

27-Jun-15
I see some like minded couples on here it sounds like, if my wife can still see elk, even if it's too dark to have a chance at them, I have to drag her off the mountain, we are always the last ones back to camp!

27-Jun-15
My cousin would call you a "WB", "Wife Bringer"; apparently it is frowned upon in their deer camp. When he brought it up at a party a couple of years ago in front of my wife, I had to grab her arm... I thought she was going to hit him!!!

She doesn't hunt, but damn well would if she wanted too. She loves to fish & camp, but is not into hunting. I envy you guys with hunting spouses... "sort of" ;)

27-Jun-15
My wife is going with me on a moose hunt next year in upper Manitoba. She helps me cut up the animals, carry out elk on her back and can hear things that I don't hear. She is my best friend and is welcome to come with me wherever I go.

27-Jun-15

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Forest bows's embedded Photo
having a wife is a good thing

28-Jun-15
Pack mules are expensive. My wife can carry the hindquarter of a bull for 6 hours and only need to eat a handful of granola. She skins and butchers too. Let's see a mule do that.

28-Jun-15
Mine loves elk hunting as much as I do so she is always willing and able to help fill the freezer.

With her being in Afghanistan last fall and into this fall, it was weird not having her hunting elk with me.

Good luck, Robb

28-Jun-15
Check out the thread "Pictures for goat hunters" I posted. In the last 25yrs I have hunted alone, with friends, and with her. I far prefer to hunt with my wife. She is a huge help with some of the things I hate such as travel logistics, packing, and the paper work part of the trip. Out in the field just like oldgoat's wife she tends to slow me just a little but that usually works out for the best and she sometimes spots more than I do because of it. Most outfitters have told me that they actually prefer guiding females cause they are steadier game shots, don't fall apart at crunch time as bad, and do not have the unrealistic expectations some males have.

28-Jun-15
pattybull photo pattybull_zpsp8rjqx6z.jpg

After 24 years of Marriage, my Wife finally decided to take up archery (again).

Years ago, I tried to teach her to shoot, not realizing she was left eye dominant. It was such a struggle she gave up.

Bought her a left handed bow recently, she's been shooting with me every night (and shooting very well).

A landowner friend of mine told me about a (beef) bull calf that had gone wild on his thousand acres. He'd moved all his cattle off, and it had gone rogue. Said I could have him.

When I told my Wife about the bull calf...she asked me "Could I shoot him"?

We had a great morning together, and she learned a lot about stalking (and shot placement), among other things. She got a real adrenaline rush out of the experience.

I think it's the start of a very good thing !

Mad_Angler...after Yesterday I'm starting to think you are not crazy at all...she now has a much better appreciation of what I go through out in the field.

Best of Luck, Jeff

28-Jun-15
Jeff i hope you realize what that thing was worth! Coulda bought several elk tags with that thing!

28-Jun-15
Anthony,

This Landowner has been very good to me. I have exclusive hunting rights on his place, and I've taken a couple wild pigs in the last Year. I always bring him meat from my elk hunts.

This is prime veal...I thanked him generously for this opportunity!

Best of Luck, Jeff

28-Jun-15
I'd have roped that thing & bought me 2 Idaho tags & a Montana tag with the money! Or something similar! 3 for 1! Lol. None of mine just throwin it out there.

28-Jun-15
They are noisy, smell funny, and can't pack much. I bring mine as often as I can.

Scott

28-Jun-15
Mine does not eat much, gives me her paycheck, does my laundry, cooks me my meals, does the dishes and never complains. On top of that she is pretty , smells good and is fun to be with.

Now if anyone has a better hunting partner than that I would like to hear about it.

28-Jun-15

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
My wife has become my best hunting partner to date and would not trade her for anyone. She started just going along and videoing but now she is full on hunter.

28-Jun-15
writer wrote: "Seriously? Blasphemy? Spending a few days with the person who is supposed to be your best friend, in a special place like elk country? "

Be gentle with me writer. I'm new to this elk hunting thing.

I expect elk hunting to be very hard work. Some folks make is sound like a bad version of boot camp. I expected some folks to say that it would too hard for her. I expected them to say that if she couldn't sprint to the top of the mountain then she would prevent me from ever getting an elk.

I don't think she can sprint to the top of a mountain. But she is very tough. We took 4 young girls to the Boundary Waters for wilderness canoe trips. She could grab a pack and carry gear across portages with the best of them.

28-Jun-15
Just remember the fit and quality of her gear needs to be as good as yours or better! I made the mistake of trying to give mine my hand me down day pack etc and realize we were almost fiftyish when we met and she started going with me and it wasn't comfortable and it wasn't fun. Got her stuff that fit her and it was game on! And middle of the day when the elk aren't active, well nobody better to pass the time with than your soul mate, hint hint, wink wink!

28-Jun-15
That was gentle, Mad. :-)

Nothing says you can't head further out if she wants to hang in camp a morning or afternoon.

My wife knows she's welcome on any trip I go on, just like she's welcome to go on any trip she wants to.

I know I can tag-along on any such trip of hers, too.

29-Jun-15
Elkmtngear,

I could have had some real fun with some hunting buddies, if I was asked to put down someones livestock!! Even better, if I let me wife do it in front of my buddies, while keeping a straight face!! Priceless!!

29-Jun-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
My wife is also my favorite hunting partner. She goes when she feels like it and is happy to stay in camp if she doesn't. Yes it slows me down, but she's better looking and better to cuddle with at night than my other hunting buddies!

Mad, contrary to what many would have you believe you do not need to be a "beast mode bowhunter" or whatever it's called to kill an elk. Take your wife and enjoy your time in elk country together. Getting an elk would just be icing on the cake.

29-Jun-15
mine likes to camp and will go along on my trips just to hang in camp, read a book and cook. no problem as long as she has a good book or some of her craft things to do. my 2 biggest problems with her on these trips is she wants take too much stuff and when I come in for the day she wants to talk after the meal and I want to sleep.

29-Jun-15
Sorry folks I have been married for 43 three years need some escape time to maintain my sanity1

29-Jun-15
Brotsky,

Thanks for the clarification. I did think that the only way to kill an elk was to be Cameron Hanes and charge up every mountain. I can't do that but I'm trying to get closer. My wife also cant do that and she'll be a bit slower than me.

As other folks have pointed out, it might actually be beneficial to slow down a bit...

29-Jun-15
I am looking forward to hunting with my wife this fall. Been married 21 years and can't think of anyone I would rather be taking a trip with. Couple days relaxing and sightseeing ahead of the hunt, then the prehunt massage and pedicure, it really isn't that bad. :')

29-Jun-15
First person I ask she camped with me for 28 days in Mt.going after a bull she nicknamed King Tut.A lot of yrs.have gone by but a lot of great memories she hunts with me or should I say I hunt with her.Lewis

29-Jun-15
"Sorry folks I have been married for 43 three years need some escape time to maintain my sanity" said Ole Coyote.

I can relate to that too. everytime I start loading her stuff up I think to myself ' why can't you just stay home this once?'

30-Jun-15

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
My wife does not hunt with me but she is always ready to cook up whatever I bring home and does a great job doing it. Ten years ago she insisted on going on an elk hunt in the Flattops with me to see what all this high country stuff was about. She rode with packers every day and had a great time. She is not that interested in going again but she now understands my obsession!

08-Jul-15
Getting married the 2nd time this February to a lady from China, where the concept of hunting is nonexistent. Will be interesting. So far she accepts my past time, but has only requested to hunt turkey with me. Maybe because of their tradition of gifting live chickens at Spring Festival?

Last prospect hunted with me but unfortunately proved to be a psycho. This time I totally don't care if she hunts with me or not. During last 8 years I filtered through the many important qualities to judge for marriage, and hunting is definitely not one of them. At least for me.

08-Jul-15

JCHB's embedded Photo
JCHB's embedded Photo
My wife is my partner in life and that includes hunting!

JCHB

08-Jul-15
Back in times B.C. (before children) my wife used to hunt with me all the time. In fact, she was the first female bowhunter I had ever even seen. I do not think she ever really loved it, but went with me because she knew I loved it. After almost 40 years of marriage, she rarely goes anymore. I wish I could get her hunting again. A young fellow I hunt with now has his wife with him all the time. She is a great young woman and we all enjoy her in the camp.

08-Jul-15
My mother in Law used to hunt with my father in law. She took deer quite often. She moved so slowly through the woods the deer are reported to get bored watching her and eventually let her walk right up to them.

08-Jul-15
I would take her but it has been said before you cant teach an old dog new tricks, plus she wont listen to me and its just not going to happen. I have took girl friends in the past, but we seldom got any hunting done, we found "OTHER" things to do and have 4 children because of it.

09-Jul-15
Take my wife hunting any time, any where she wants to go. Years ago, she worked and saved money in the early years so I could go and I feel it's her turn now.

Started her out making morning hunts by herself, close to home. If she got an animal, she could get help

About ten years ago, she went to Alaska without me to Black Bear hunt. Second day she arrowed an 18 6/8" boar at eight steps from the ground.

Last September, she went on another Alaskan hunt she won through Pope & Young.Spent over two weeks chasing Grizzly & Moose. No kills, but she had one heck of a time and is ready to go agin. I did go along this time as camp b****.

09-Jul-15

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

09-Jul-15

Elkguide27's embedded Photo
Elkguide27's embedded Photo
I always take my wife sometimes it means a little more weight in the pack for me and usually heavier pack outs but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

09-Jul-15

09-Jul-15

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Here is my wife on a hunt last year with a prairie dog she shot in the head at 150 yds. On the same hunt, She ended up shooting a mule deer buck at 272 yds in the throat with a 7 mag. She could have shot a buck the same size at the gate but she wanted a real hunt. So, the guides took us up the mountain which was an hour ride. We glassed and they found another buck. We hiked about 3/4 mile down the mountain so she could shoot it. Then, we had to pack it back up the mountain in the dark. she loved every bit of it and said "it wouldn't have been a real hunt if I would have shot the buck at the gate." We are headed back to hunt elk this year.

10-Jul-15
I hunt with my wife because she will hire someone to hunt with her and make me pay.

James

10-Jul-15
Good luck on your elk hunt, Thorton.

But, of course, it's not really a real hunt until it's 100-percent DYI, and with a bow, and the bull is called in, and.... :-)

Hope she kills one bigger than you...as do you, I'm sure.

10-Jul-15
Took my wife on her first elk hunt a couple of years ago. We had a wonderful time. Try to make sure she has good food to eat, a comfortable place to sleep, and a really good way to stay clean and go to the restroom. Other than that just try to have a good time and don't put too much pressure on her or yourself.

I wish you both all the best! Go for it!

10-Jul-15

Buskill's embedded Photo
Buskill's embedded Photo
I hunt with my wife often. She actually gets to go more than I do. Nice to see her become her own hunter. She doesn't need my help to figure any of it out.

10-Jul-15
My wife and daughter are my favorite hunting partners. I trully feel sorry for people who feel like spending time with their family is a burden.

10-Jul-15

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
The inside of my wedding band is the inscription "Hunting Partners for LIFE". My wife is my hunting buddy. She has shot carp, Mule Deer, Antelope, Turkey, Bear and Elk with me. She loves it and I enjoy our time out together.

10-Jul-15
Had mine talked in to going,but she lost her battle with Colon cancer almost a year ago.I would say take her whenever you can.

13-Jul-15
Wow SteveJ. I'm sorry for your loss. That certainly puts things into perspective...

20-Jul-15
I am hunting with my wife for the first time ever this fall in Wyoming. We have been married for 23 years....but it only seems like 5 minutes....BEING HELP UNDERWATER AGAINST YOUR WILL!!!!!!:)

She isn't going to hunt but she is going to tag along and see what all the hoopla is about. I've been teaching her how to cow call and bugle which she is already really good at.

We are not "Suffer hunting". We have a trailer to sleep in at night, a bathroom with hot showers, and even a restaurant 15 minutes away to eat at night if we don't want to cook.

I'll post up a report and let everyone know how it goes.

20-Jul-15
Elkmtngear- the longer I stared at that picture the more I kept telling myself "that sure doesn't look like an elk to me". Then as I began reading your post I kept expecting to read the punch line that went something like "okay lady, you can have your elk- as soon as I get my saddle off of it"....lol. That's actually pretty cool that your wife wanted to make the kill.

Speaking from a wife's perspective....I can't imagine not wanting to be with my husband on any hunt. Even though we are both loners in the way we hunt, there's nothing like coming back to camp at night to share each other's experiences.

-Cheryl

20-Jul-15
Oh, and I failed to add...I'm so sorry for your loss SteveJ. That certainly does put things in the proper perspective for us.

20-Jul-15
I appreciate you thoughts. We had 27 year's together and I wouldn't change a thing.just take advantage of every opportunity! Good luck to all this year.

20-Jul-15
I am very happy to have a wife that wants nothing to do with hunting and doesn't care how much or how little of it I do. In fact I consider it one of the things that has kept me married for over 30 years that we do things apart from each other.

20-Jul-15

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Bear Track's embedded Photo
I ask my lady to come hunting on a different adventure all the time. Sometimes she needs more coaxing than other times. This thread is timely as just the other day and out of the blue, she say to me "Honey, some of the best times I've spent with you was when we were hunting, and had the best time doing it with you beside me". I'm one of the lucky ones I guess.

20-Jul-15

Chaseasl's embedded Photo
Chaseasl's embedded Photo
My wife loves to hunt just as much as me

22-Jul-15
Somebody's gotta stand guard for Yogi when you're dressing out an elk in grizzly country. :)

23-Jul-15
Sorry to read that Steve J...27 years wow--hang in there.

Good luck, Robb

23-Jul-15

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo
I love hunting with my wife.....She even guts her own deer!!!

23-Jul-15
Keeper keeper Scotty!

23-Jul-15
Man...... Do you know how much trouble I would get in if I went on a Deer, Elk, Moose or Antelope hunt and I DIDN'T take her? I would never hear the end of it.

She's the my best hunting partner ever!

23-Jul-15
Man...... Do you know how much trouble I would get in if I went on a Deer, Elk, Moose or Antelope hunt and I DIDN'T take her? I would never hear the end of it.

She's the best hunting partner ever!

• Sitka Gear