Surfbow 05-Jul-15
VARon 05-Jul-15
VARon 05-Jul-15
VARon 05-Jul-15
beltbull 05-Jul-15
VARon 07-Jul-15
VARon 10-Jul-15
04-Jul-15
1. My son and I are planning an archery elk hunt to Montana in September. I’m 66 and he’s 24. Both have hunted elk in Colorado, but neither has killed an elk. Both are athletic and in fairly good shape, but being honest, I can’t get around like I used to because of arthritis in the knees, but can still get by…not sure about packing much weight though, so my son would have to do the bulk of any pack out of an elk. 2. Plan is to set up base camp at the truck and hunt out from base camp on foot and/or drive to other nearby areas and hunt from there on foot. 3. Would be prepared to pack in for a couple days at a time if we find elk and believed this would be advantages. Would want to limit the distance from base camp or truck to no more than 2 ½ to 3 miles to be realistic about packing out an elk. 4. Been researching areas around White Sulphur Springs…. HD 452 and 449 in the Castle Mountains, HD 416 in the Little Belts, and also HD 315 Shield’s River Rd area of the Crazy Mountains. Have some questions…. 5. Which if any of these areas would be more conducive for the type of hunting we described? 6. Are camping spots easy to locate? 7. Can you camp anywhere off a Forest Service road in Montana? 8. Is there a lot of hunters using ATV’s in these areas? We do not use ATV’s and hate when we get up early and hike in to an area only to have an ATV buzz by. Are they confined to certain roads? Are there road closures in the area that do not allow ATV’s? 9. Can you expect to hear bugling on the public land or is there so much hunting pressure that the bulls are not very vocal? 10. Is water plentiful enough that it would be fairly easy to refill a water bottle throughout the day without having to pack water (realizing any water collected would need to be treated)? 11. Any Block Management Areas or even access easements to the public land that we should consider? 12. Can you suggest any other units or even specific areas within these units that might suite our needs better? 13. I would be ecstatic to have a chance at any legal bull, as would my son. 14. Any help you can provide to this father and son will be greatly appreciated. 15. Some of you have responded to my PM's and I thank you. Will look forward to your response and PM's. Ron

04-Jul-15
No idea about the area but wish you a great hunt with your son! C

04-Jul-15
Wish I knew something about the area so I could help. Awesome hearing about father son hunts. Good luck and hope you can keep us posted on your hunt this fall!

04-Jul-15
VARon- PM sent.

05-Jul-15
With bad knees I think I'd scrap the Crazies as its pretty steep and thick.Never hunted the other 2 ranges.I research both of the other two,and the Little Belts look to have the most roads to keep you close to your vehicle.I have no idea on the terrain though.I think with your situation that would be my choice.Call the local biologist for tips on drainages to hunt

05-Jul-15
Have you considered a guided hunt?

05-Jul-15
Surfbow....No, not really. Cost is prohibitive these days. I've been on some guided hunts when I was younger and had more disposable money, had a good time, no regrets.....but, I did a couple of solo DIY hunts while in my 50's, another with my older brother and decided I liked the DIY hunts the best and my son is more of a DIY type as well. Last year was the first year we could take a western hunt together because my son was always involved in football and never had the time in September. He now has a good job where he can get the time off to go, so we're making the best of it. I know my years of climbing those mountains are numbered, but my son has lots of time, Lord willing, so we're trying different states and areas. Hopefully with a few years of stumbling around we can find a couple of good areas that he'll be able to bring his kids back to. That's my long term goal for him. Mine is just to have fun and enjoy the western mountains as long as I'm physically able.

05-Jul-15

05-Jul-15

VARon's embedded Photo
VARon's embedded Photo
My son, Curry, last year in Colorado. We both had opportunities at good bulls, but the elk were not very vocal. And there was a lot of hunting pressure where we were hunting. Would like to locate an area where bulls are more vocal and of course a little less pressure.

05-Jul-15
Lots of atv's and pressure in the Little Belts. Elk are there but need to work around the people. You will have trouble getting more than a couple miles away from the roads. Enforcement on off road travel of atv's is a joke, you are apt to run into them anywhere.

07-Jul-15
The other question I meant to ask..... which of these areas have been hit hard with beetle damage.?

10-Jul-15
Thanks for the PM's, guys.... Would love to hear from more of you.Ron

• Sitka Gear