BSBD 08-Jul-15
Quinn @work 08-Jul-15
ohiohunter 09-Jul-15
South Farm 09-Jul-15
LINK 09-Jul-15
writer 09-Jul-15
RK 09-Jul-15
07-Jul-15
Has anyone been on the guided or non guided cow elk hunt at Vermejo? I am debating on booking a hunt with them. Just want what to expect and if it was a fun hunt.

07-Jul-15
I have close friends that did the late season (after Christmas) cow hunt a couple years in a row. It was not possible for them to get within bow range so they shot their cows with rifles. It is a great way to see the amazing Vermejo Ranch for little money. Good luck, C

07-Jul-15
Did they mention how the hunting was conducted? Actually hunting on foot or just a lot of driving around the ranch jump out and shoot type deal? Did your friends all harvest a cow?

07-Jul-15
Hunting is largely up to you. Your guide can do what you want.

I took my son when he was 12. We spotted a herd from the truck, actually just drove up on them, then made about a 300 yard stalk for a 90 yard shot. It was about perfect for what we wanted.

I'll be there with a 20-something year-old friend to put meat in the freezer and enjoy one helluva ranch in early December, during the Kansas firearms deer season. (Great time to be gone!)

Takes the pressure off getting enough does in the freezer for the year, so that'll mean more time working the new Lab pup on ducks, a great pheasant population and bowhunting.

Can't beat the price, really. $1,000 includes the guide for three days.

No lodging or meals.

07-Jul-15

ohiohunter's Link
I think it cost a little more than $1000.

07-Jul-15
writer is correct about the price. The hunt we are describing is not listed in the attached link. Very reasonable way to see the ranch and get some great elk meat.

The guys I know who went had the same guides as when they archery elk hunted in the rut so they had fun and did what needed to be done to shoot their cows. Good luck! C

07-Jul-15

writer's Link
Scroll down after the link opens, I think I was correct. :-)

That's what I paid, anyway.

The hunt is $1,000.

The license totals around $400.

I'm looking forward to it.

Being on the ranch is much more important to me than being in the lush accommodations.

With the price of beef, elk's not sounding too bad, plus I like it better.

07-Jul-15
Four of us went with Kiowa Creek Outfitters about three years ago. It was kind of like a drive-by shooting but I enjoyed it because my two best friends and my 16 year old son were along. We all got cows weighing from 280 ( gutted ) to 480. Beautiful place but we didn't stay long because we all killed on the first day. It was interesting to me that the guide saved the liver, heart, uterus, and ( I think ) spleen from each cow to run tests on. Whatever else you think of Ted Turner, he has a good operation for the elk.

And the price was around $1,000. Oh, we gained some very valuable knowledge also. It takes a lot of ice chests to bring back four bone-in cow elk. :) We literally bought every big ice chest in Raton in addition to the ones we brought with us !

08-Jul-15
I booked my hunt, sounds like a good place to take my father to hopefully get his first elk. Writer what dates you going? I'll be there Dec. 12-14th.

08-Jul-15
for less the 300 u can buy a wy cow tag HUNT free public land

08-Jul-15
John,

I think we're there 8-9-10.

City, I didn't say it was cheapest or the most sporting.

Someone asked a question and I answered it. We can be in Raton within about 6-7 hours, not lose any days to travel, not have to miss many days of work, not have to worry about how to get an elk out of rugged country.

I may well be in Colorado to cover a cool Wounded Warrior elk hunt and I'm pretty sure I could break away and kill a cow on that phenomenal ranch, but I want to concentrate on the article.

I'm going to Vermejo for the meat and to see the ranch again, and shoot some photography for an article I'm working on.

Then, I want to get home and get back to things like bowhunting the late season, if needed, and getting a Lab pup on his way to 400 or so retrieves before he's 10 months old. :-)

08-Jul-15
$1400 dollars to shoot a cow elk? Wow. What Forest Gump said!

08-Jul-15
Let's see....

House paid --- check

Kids grown and gone --- check

No car payment for several years - check

Two big azz bulls hanging in the basement - check

No desire for more taxidermy - check

Able to write part of the trip off -- check

Don't tell others how to spend their money -- check

08-Jul-15
Hahaha.. so true writer, so true.

08-Jul-15
Vermejo is an incredible place. I can't afford to hunt bull elk there but some cow hunts are reasonable. A friend of mine picked up a cow tag for $400 on the ranch self guided. It was an easy 1 day deal with the rifle. The fishing is outstanding too if you want to pay the high fees.

08-Jul-15
Shame on you Writer for spending your money doing something you love. :) LOL. I don't think it's that bad of a deal.

09-Jul-15
$400.. sign me up now

09-Jul-15
These self-guided hunts they just let you loose or do they designate certain areas you can go? I picture a herd of elk in a meadow with a ring of pickup trucks and guys blazing away from the roadsides. Tell me it's not like that because I think I'd like to give it a whirl.

09-Jul-15
South farm that's what I invision as well. My moms husband has killed a cow there something like 8 of the last 9 years, usually on the first morning. The year he didn't kill he was upset because his guide had bought a new truck and wouldn't drive fast enough to get him on the elk. Not my type of hunt but if your for filling the freezer without hunting it's probably a good deal.

09-Jul-15
A buddy took his boys on the self-guided hunt and had a great time. The staff told him the general location of herds for both of the bulls, His boys were about 12 and 14 so it was a helluva an adventure.

They killed both of their bulls of spot and stalk.

They limit the number of permits, and it's about 450,000 acres.

It's not something I want to do every year, but it's been quite a few since I've been on Vermejo.

I'll report back, Link, to see if it lives up to your standards as "without hunting." :-)

The timing is also perfect for us this year, as we always host a Wounded Warrior on a great whitetail hunt the weekend before.

09-Jul-15
Writer

Sounds like a great deal. Just being on that ranch is a really cool deal. I have been on it about a dozen times for various reasons and it is so incredible. First few times were when Pennzoil owned it

I am jealous you will have a wonderful hunt !

Your post above your last post is simply priceless

• Sitka Gear