Mad_Angler 10-Jul-15
midwest 10-Jul-15
Cheesehead Mike 10-Jul-15
Cheesehead Mike 10-Jul-15
Mad_Angler 29-Sep-16
BULELK1 01-Oct-16
BULELK1 02-Oct-16
07-Jul-15
I have an Eberlestock X2. I love it. It is an excellent day pack for deer hunting. It is also a great pack for Alaskan moose/caribou hunting. It can carry everything you might need in case you get stuck out for a night. And it can also carry out the first load of meat with no problems. I have helped carry out 2 moose and 2 caribou.

But... (there's always a "but"). It does not have any functional load lifters.

I started looking at other packs with load lifters. I came up with an idea... Why not add some framing to make the load lifters functional?

Here are my efforts. It is just a PCV frame. The size is about 24" x 13". The load lifter straps just go over it. This was my first pass. The frame could also be a bit smaller.

It weighs less than a pound, cost nothing and makes the load lifters functional...

07-Jul-15

Mad_Angler's MOBILE embedded Photo

Picture of pack

07-Jul-15

Picture of load lifter in action

07-Jul-15
I agree about the lack of functional load lifters being the ONLY thing I don't like about my X2. I actually thought about welding structure onto the original frame (I work with great welders that work for either beer or ammo).

09-Jul-15
I have a team elk pack and it has the same problem. I have been also thinking of mods but no break through. Please share your modifications. Thanks.

09-Jul-15
I have tried to come up with the same idea, but using metal tubing. I'm not sure how much heat the original frame can take if I were to weld it. The x2 is a great day pack. Had also thought about adding some 500d to bottom wher it wraps around the frame, this would be to keep the pack centered on frame. Just can't get my mind around exactly how to do it

09-Jul-15
Padfoot,

The X2 mod is extremely simple. Just make a 24" x 13" rectangle with 1/2" PVC pipe and 4 elbows. Put the PVC rectangle in the main part of the pack. Then, disconnect the load lifters and reroute over the top of the frame.

You can make the frame taller or shorter depending on how tall you are. You could probably reduce the width an inch or two also. This was just my first pass.

And you don't need to glue the PVC together. Just assemble without glue. Then, it is easier to change the size of the rectangle. And you also just take the rectangle apart, carry it in the pack, and assemble it after you kill the elk.

09-Jul-15
I am a newbie and don't understand the "load lifter" purpose. Other than lifting the load, ha.

James

09-Jul-15

Mad_Angler's Link
James,

I didn't understand either. But I think I do now.

By using the load lifters, you take the weight off of your shoulders and transfers that weight to your hips. To carry heavy loads, your hips should be doing most of the work.

The attached link has a good explanation. You'll see that the ideal angle is 45 degrees pointing up. With the X2, the attachment to the X2 is below the shoulders. So the X2 load lifters are really just load stabilizers. If you add the PCV frame, you can get the desired angle on the straps.

09-Jul-15

Padfoot's embedded Photo
Padfoot's embedded Photo
Mad Angler, I appreciate the simplicity and economy of the load lifter you devised.

The ET pack is different in that it has a rifle pocket next to the aluminum frame plus a very short aluminum frame. The design puts the lifter strap on the side of the top corner and that ends up pulling the shoulder strap to the side rather than up and back. A really dumb design and makes me wonder weather they even tried the pack under load.

I am tall and the shoulder straps are a little short for me too boot.

I think that I could make the pvc frame work but I would have to sew new attachements closer to center of the pack. I think the photo shows what I am talking about.

Again, I like your simple design and hope others have ideas for this problem too.

09-Jul-15
Have you put much weight on the pvc frame? Just curious how much? and How much it flexs or how much noise it makes? Like the idea

09-Jul-15
Once you get the dimensions on that PVC frame, fill it with expanding foam and wrap in hockey tape. Should be pretty strong and stiffen up nice.

09-Jul-15
It is a squeaker, that's for sure.

I wrapped electrical tape around mine at all the strap/cinch contact points.

09-Jul-15
On some pictures of other packs - the frame goes up to about even with the top of your head or even a bit above that.

Solution for a higher frame....

To get the upper portion of the PVC a bit away from the back of your head why couldn't you get 2 - 22 degree elbows and place them at the height about level with the top of your shoulders - then extend the frame another 6 inches or so???? Or would that make it to "top heavy"

Also same question as caribou77 - how would it handle strapping down a big load?

10-Jul-15
Caribou asked how it would deal with a heavy load...

I haven't tried it yet but I bet it will be fine. Most of the stress is down, inline with the PVC. Tubing can take a tremendous amount of force in that direction. Think about a straw standing upright.

As for squeaking, mine never was too bad. I did change the strap configuration as suggested by Eberlestock. Other folks have removed the orange frame and wrapped it in hockey tape. The tape seems to stop all the squeaking.

10-Jul-15
Ditto on the hockey tape around the frame. Took care of the squeak issue.

10-Jul-15

Cheesehead Mike's Link
I did a similar load lifter mod on my Sitka Bivy 45 by making extensions and attaching them to the alminum stays.

10-Jul-15

Cheesehead Mike's Link
And here's an update where I moved the load lifter bracket to the inside of the pack.

I made the bracket taller on the one I did for Scoot and if I did mine over I would make it a little taller.

29-Sep-16
Bump.

I used the X2 and load lifters this morning. I carried about 30 pounds of goose decoys in. And I added about 20 pound of goose on the way out.

The load lifters make it much more comfortable to carry heavy loads...

01-Oct-16
Padfoot I am going to do my Team Elk today with Mad-Anglers example.

I'll let ya know what and if it works---

Thanks for the idea M-A

Good luck, Robb

02-Oct-16
$4.18 is what it cost for me to modify my Team Elk X3....if memory serves---X3

Thanks again M-A

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear