wyobullshooter 09-Jul-15
Bob H in NH 09-Jul-15
wyobullshooter 09-Jul-15
78cj5 09-Jul-15
Mad_Angler 09-Jul-15
bradbear 09-Jul-15
kadbow 09-Jul-15
09-Jul-15
I see two kinds of calls to make bugles.

One has a mouthpiece and the tube. This one looks easier to use.

One uses a diaphragm call and a tube. This seems to allow the hunter to use the diaphragm to make both cow and bull sounds.

Did I get that right? Which calls are easier to use? Which calls sound the best?

Any other advice?

09-Jul-15
It all depends on the person, but overall, I'd agree external reed calls are easier to use than a diaphragm. However, some people can master a diaphragm almost immediately, while most others can become proficient in a reasonable amount of time.

The diaphragm is by far the most versatile. You can make every elk vocalization without ever removing it from your mouth.

As far as which sounds "best", that's also completely dependent on the person using the call. Both can sound incredibly realistic.

The biggest advantage a diaphragm has over any other call is being hands-free. That advantage can't be overstated. I've stopped several bulls at close range as they were moving, all the while being at full draw. I hit a mew as soon as the near front leg starts forward. They slam on the brakes, and an instant later, my arrow buries into their exposed goodies. Hard to do that with a plastic baseball bat sticking out of my mouth. ;-)

09-Jul-15
^^^^ what he said

09-Jul-15
In another thread, I mentioned that I would be taking my wife and she might be my caller.

My plan was arm her with a cow call, the temptress to be specific. I don't think she wants to take the time to learn a diaphragm.

I figured that I would most of the calling while moving. For that, I would use a diaphragm.

I'd still have my diaphragm for stopping the bull as you mentioned.

If I get the mouthpiece bugle, she can bugle too. If I get the tube, I'll be the only one that can bugle.

With that additional information, which do you recommend?

09-Jul-15
FWIW, I can use the diaphragm call with no problem, but I can't use the reed calls or the one piece tubes.

The reed calls cause my lips to go crazy when I blow on them, so I dropped them. After trying a tube call for a bit, I just took the head off and use a diaphragm with that tube.

That's what works for me.

09-Jul-15
I hate diaphragm calls and as a result rarely used them! I use an elk power bugle and a woods wise hyper hot cow call. Only time i ever put in a mouth call is the very last second. Even then I bet 80% of the elk I have killed it was still in my pocket.

Everyone is different, but I would rather have my elk power bugle and woods wise call.

09-Jul-15
hunt, I didn't think of that. Maybe I should just buy the mouthpiece one. She can use it with the mouthpiece. I can use it with or without the mouthpiece..

09-Jul-15
Diaphragm calls aren't that hard to use. I would never go back to a mouthpiece call for the reasons stated by Wyo.

09-Jul-15
"If I get the mouthpiece bugle, she can bugle too. If I get the tube, I'll be the only one that can bugle".

Are you planning on handing her the bugle tube at the moment of truth, while you move ahead?

I can see that as problematic...perhaps if you both plan on calling, you should both be outfitted to call at the instant it is needed.

Just FYI in regard to the way I approach it...the string on the bugle tube is attached to my daypack (which stays on when I'm moving into elk...shooting, whatever). I find it easier to just have everything with me, and be able to access it instantly.

Best of Luck, Jeff

09-Jul-15
Order an all star diaphram and let her play w/ it. She may pick it up she may not.. its 8 bucks... worse case scenario you have another diaphram.

The all star should be small enough.

09-Jul-15
"If I get the mouthpiece bugle, she can bugle too. If I get the tube, I'll be the only one that can bugle.

With that additional information, which do you recommend?"

Why not do both? You have a grunt tube and diaphragm, she has an open reed cow call AND an external reed call with attached grunt tube. You then have the diaphragm if needed, but at the same time, she can be 50-100yds behind you making the appropriate calls, depending on what's getting the best reaction from the bull.

+1 on ohiohunter's post. Pretty much win/win either way!

09-Jul-15
I learned in 5 minutes with the Power Bugle by ELK, was I great? Nope, but the next day I did call in a small bull!

Sometimes just being able to make a different sound works. I've only gone guided and he mostly used a diaphragm, but had a power bugle. He couldn't get answers with the diaphragm but did with the power bugle one afternoon. Never know what they are going to like.

The one issue I had with the power bugle was the life of the band, especially in the rain. So buy a bunch.

If you can turkey call you can learn to bugle/cow call.

09-Jul-15
"Sometimes just being able to make a different sound works. I've only gone guided and he mostly used a diaphragm, but had a power bugle. He couldn't get answers with the diaphragm but did with the power bugle one afternoon. Never know what they are going to like."

Amen to that! MANY years ago, we had a bull going for quite a while one morning. Finally he shut up and we couldn't get him to respond regardless of what we tried. WAY back in the day, they made an elk call out of coiled tubing. It made a high pitched whistle and was tinny sounding. I carried it in my backpack just for poops and giggles. I figured what the heck, I didn't have anything to lose, so I pulled it out and gave a toot. The echo hadn't yet died when that bull screamed back at me. As Bob states, you just never know. That said, I still have that diaphragm in my mouth when I get in close.

Couple other things to keep in mind when bugling in a bull. If he hangs up and nothing seems to work, mimic his bugle as closely as you can (another plus for the diaphragm). Another thing that works like a charm, wait till he bugles, then cut him off with a bugle of your own. This will normally pi$$ him off to no end. The idea is to make him so mad, he makes a mistake.

09-Jul-15
So when are you going to be hunting, pre-rut, peak of rut or post rut? One thing I have noticed is elk have an uncanny ability to locate where sounds are coming from, the reason the caller is behind the hunter.

So here is my suggestion. Both you and your wife get use to calling. You don't have to be perfect you just need to sound like elk but DON"T OVERCALL. You as the hunter use a diaphragm and your wife use whatever works for her. As you are walking both of you make cow sounds, walking about 25 yards apart and alternating on sounds. Don't be afraid to break a branch every now and then. If you are getting close to a bull then the hunter moves forward and the caller throws in some estrus cow calls and then bugle. You as the hunter should only make cow sounds until the bull is definitely coming, then shut up. The bull will come to you but doesn't have to see elk as he thinks the other bull herded you off.

Here is what you are trying to do. Sound like a herd of cows walking through the mountains, one cow is getting hot and gets intercepted by a silent bull. As you are approaching the bull he thinks some cows are coming in and he is the man. Then if you are close enough he thinks some other bull is getting the cows. It seems to get them mad enough to make a mistake if you are close enough.

This has worked for me in high pressure areas where bulls might get bugle shy. Works best right at the beginning of peak of the rut hunting, when cows are just coming into season.

09-Jul-15
78cj5,

We'll be hunting Colorado OTC the week of Sept 19-27

09-Jul-15
I started with external reed type call, but like the diaphragm much better. Of course I live with a diaphragm call in my mouth most of the spring so that makes a bit of difference. Heck I am better with bugles on the diaphragm then simple cow calls

09-Jul-15
Public or private land? Makes a big difference. Elk can get pretty call shy after 3 weeks of constant cow calls and bugles.

• Sitka Gear