Kurt 23-Jul-15
YZF-88 23-Jul-15
JLS 23-Jul-15
easeup 23-Jul-15
LaGriz 24-Jul-15
10-Jul-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Meet Tina, my new "iron llama". She's a 2004 TW200s. Saw some old posts here on Bowsite and thought you guys had some good rigs. Was going to go the YZF route again but my "go fast" days are over and a heavy pack on a "regular dirt bike" is a yard sale just waiting to happen. First gear on this tractor is slow enough to walk next to on technical/sketchy stuff. I just put an aggressive front tire on and a new OEM tire on the rear. I'm looking for a set of chains for the back. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears. It came with the rack and bark busters. The only other thing I did was added 30mm spacers to raise the handle bars. Looking forward to easing up on the abuse my older Expedition has taken over the last few years with this thing. I really like it so far. Going to give it a really good trial tomorrow.

10-Jul-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
If you see my bombing around the Book Cliffs during the archery deer season flag me down. I'll also be up in Idaho parked at the roadless trailheads chasing elk. Hoping to get a variety of blood on that cargo rack!

10-Jul-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I'll get it around with a hitch hauler. I hate dealing with trailers. Keeping it simple.

10-Jul-15
Double post.

11-Jul-15
Cool 'Iron Llama' haha

Midwest has a real nice one too.

Good luck, Robb

11-Jul-15
thats sweet rig !what it set you back

11-Jul-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Had one....didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Got a smokin' deal on a quad and sold the scooter. They are a great little enduro, though, and hold their value VERY well. Enjoy!

11-Jul-15
I have a 97, works really good !!

11-Jul-15
Buddy had one in camp a while back. Very efficient. His rig had a scabbard for a bow on the right side of the front fork. Did not handle well with the scabbard + bow in place.

11-Jul-15
What size is the front tire and rim on that bad boy YZF-88? I'm trying to sort out a 19" fat tire to build up and put on the front of my WR250F with a lowering kit. I keep thinking I can salvage the WR250F power and suspension, but without the 7" taller seat height :)

Sweet looking ride you've got there for sure.

Cheers, Pete

11-Jul-15
Lol! "Tina, come get your fuel you big fat lard!"

11-Jul-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
C3, the front tire is a Kenda K270 5.1-18.

Cityhunter I got it for $1,900.

Today I took it for a real test ride (11 miles and from 4,800ft to 8,600ft). Can't believe some of the rocks and roots I made it up. It is geared very high. Figured if I could make it up this particular trail...it's going to work ANYWHERE I will ever need it.

At about 6-7k I lost a lot of power after 1/4 throttle so I might have some jetting work to do. That's the elevation I'll be deer and elk hunting. What jets are you guys running at high altitudes? I discovered there aren't clip positions on the needle valve to lean it out. WTF? Overall I'm very pleased. The only hic-up was at the end of the ride I hit a huge rock covered in tall grass on the side of the trail. Smashed and the foot peg and damn near broke my foot and ankle.

The only thing left to get is a rear tire chain for the mud and raise the front fender. Any rain where I elk hunt and nothing gets in and out with chains.

11-Jul-15
Sweet! Lots of fun getting into some nasty country on that rig! Keep us posted after the season.

Mark

12-Jul-15
YZF, You will want to get one of the 1/4" thick skid plates to protect your engine case from rocks like you just hit.

12-Jul-15

3dvapor's embedded Photo
3dvapor's embedded Photo
Heres mine. Already packed out plenty of idaho and oregon bone!

12-Jul-15
3d vapor nice bikes what are they . I had same issues with carbs in the mountains .I bought a 250 few years back i have used it but not as much as i thought ,its too fast to hi off the ground bad choice for hunting with gear.

12-Jul-15
I never changed the jets, and used it a lot in Idaho up to 10,000 feet. It did bog down a little over 9,000 feet, other than that it ran fine.

12-Jul-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo

12-Jul-15
That looks like a score for $1,900, I'll give you $2k for it. Anybody used the Rokon's before? They look really cool, but for $7k I think I'll pass. A 30 year old one is still $3k.

13-Jul-15

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
1967 Rokon that I "modernized"

13-Jul-15
Dang, tip that thing and you will need a crane to upright it. You fit lots of stuff on there for sure

14-Jul-15
I dunno about the comparison but you've probably got better top end speed, I'll give you that...

[URL=http://s153.photobucket.com/user/squirrel046/media/llamas/DSC04805640x426.jpg.html][IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/squirrel046/llamas/DSC04805640x426.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

14-Jul-15
Wow, that rig'll get you stuck in some really pretty places some day. :-)

But you'll probably be stuck there with a big-azz bull, though....

14-Jul-15
Pretty Bad a** Gene! You could drag your bison out with that beast!

Mark

22-Jul-15
What's the range on the TW200? The fuel tank looks pretty small. I've heard of a few people taking cross country trips on them though. Check out advrider.com for ideas on the tire chains and fender mod. If anyone has done it, its on that site.

22-Jul-15
Pretty dang cool right there

23-Jul-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Well Tina turned on me last Saturday. Turns out she doesn't like pumpkin sized rocks. Just had x-rays and definetly broke my toes. I even had my good motocross boots on and managed to smash several. Wife was quick to point out the irony of getting a bike to be more efficient hunting.

23-Jul-15
Dammit! Hope you heal up quick!

I took one to the right foot peg out in CO. That's when I realized I definitely needed the heavy duty front plate to protect the engine case.

23-Jul-15
I took a short ride on a TW that a guy had in a camp l visited in N Nevada 19 or so years ago. I thought it was a bit tricky on the handling versus the trials and enduro bikes with narrower tires I was used to. At my my age now I prefer 4 wheels, whether a RZR, ATV or my pickup, or else walk. No broken body parts that way, or at least not yet. The 2 wheelers sure go down narrow paths and get great fuel economy! Most of my CO bighorn sheep and antelope scouting/hunting access was done off a Honda TL250 trials bike years ago. Never crashed it, but it was pretty slow.

23-Jul-15
They definetly have trade-offs. The bikes are just so much cheaper. hey if anybody applied for a Book Cliffs archery tag...one just got turned in. Damn you Tina...you fat lard!

23-Jul-15
Heal up fast man! That right there is why I walk.

23-Jul-15
dang it!

24-Jul-15

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
Attached a saved pic of a Rokon that looks like a newer model. Do these really sell for upwards of $8,000? I had no idea the cost so much. Is it true that you can put fuel or water in side the tires? Sounds like a can of worms doing this with fuel.

Cool thread! LaGriz

• Sitka Gear