Elk
Contributors to this thread:
NEELKHNTR 11-Jul-15
Aspen Ghost 11-Jul-15
IdyllwildArcher 11-Jul-15
NEELKHNTR 11-Jul-15
IdyllwildArcher 11-Jul-15
11-Jul-15
My group of 5 guys plus myself decided to start a PP plan in Colorado this year since we all had the same number of points and we did not draw my normal elk unit!! We are trying to build points for a NW CO unit for one chance in our lifetime of hunting it. I've hunted that the prior unit we didn't draw for 15 years and have put in the time to get into elk every single year. I had some help getting started and it really helped me along the way. This is my first archery hunt I have killed several ML bulls and now have put the gun down forever. Now I'm looking for OTC advice on a unit to get me started as before. I have looked through resources and maps ect and am looking for someone that would be willing to trade me "good" info for some pheasant hunting in NE Colorado. If the info is good I will let you come out and hunt forever. I'm not taking everyone just one guy and his friends. If this is something you are interested in PM me and we can get going on a conversation. Let's just talk at first and then we will do the trade if it is something I think is worthy of trading. I just know how successful one can be with a place to start.

11-Jul-15
Honestly it doesn't sound like you'll need any help. You've hunted elk for 15 years in a low draw point unit. OTC units won't be much different. Pick one and select an area based on the way you like to hunt and go to it. Part of the fun is learning a new area.

11-Jul-15
Do you believe you have a shot at catching NW CO point creep?

You're in a better position as a resident, but may I ask how many points you have, how old you are, and which unit you've set your eyes on?

Everyone's speculation is different and we're all only guessing since most of the systems have only been around for 10-25 yrs, but IMO, 2, 201, and 10 are going to take 35 resident points (give or take) 15 years from now which is when I guess that point creep will level off.

Hybrid tags wont help you if you guys want 5 tags and that also limits you to unit 2.

11-Jul-15
We were looking at 10 and 2, but I guess I had no idea that it would take that many points. I'm 34 and have 5 points. We may just dump that idea if we don't have luck because I can find elk all the time int he unit we hunted in the past. I have seen some decent bulls but no monsters and I wanted a chance at one of those. Maybe I'll just save money and do a trip to Arizona, New Mexico, or Utah and be into elk every year?? No clue, but I have to have a plan for this year.....so I'm working on that now. I know nothing is free and I have spectacular pheasant hunting so I figured it would be a good trade for me and for someone that doesn't get to experience that type of hunting. Hopefully it works out, but if not I'll enjoy some time in the mountains and use my knowledge to try to find elk in a new unit.

11-Jul-15
10 doesn't have 5 tags available in any given year.

2 does, but it's pushing 20 points right now to draw and point creep shows no sign of slowing. I could be wrong and it could get better and it could actually get worse. There are others that don't agree with me, but that's my estimation looking at the developments and the numbers coming in.

Anything could happen - CO could go to all unit draws or add trophy units by cutting tags elsewhere and that could slow the point creep. I still think you're looking at being 65 yrs old before you draw 2.

In AZ, you could have a trophy hunt in 10-15 yrs, but it's going to cost you $160/yr to build points. Same deal in NV, but the odds are slim that you'll draw in 15 yrs. (Edit: 10-15 yrs would get you a unit that would not be quite the same quality hunt as 2, but a trophy hunt nonetheless).

NM is another great option, but it's pure lottery and you could draw multiple times in 15 yrs or never. It costs about 30 bucks a yr to apply and you have to front the almost 900 bucks for the tag/lic which is refunded if you don't win a tag.

Utah is a great place to apply because it's cheap to do so. $75 a year averaged out if you use a lic for two years if you just apply for elk - adding on another species will run you $10/yr per species. Landing a tag on par with unit 2 in CO could take you as long as it would in CO, but there's always a chance adn there's units on par with 61 that you could draw sooner and have a chance at every year.

Similar situation in WY as NM as you have around 0.5 to 2% odds to draw a trophy unit yearly as it'll take many decades to catch the trophy units with points and you have to front the cost of the tag to WY for a month. $50 non-refunded to build points.

Trophy hunting for the DIY hunter leaves much to be desired in CO. CO doesn't manage for trophy bulls - they manage for opportunity. CO comes in a solid 5th behind all these states (AZ, NM, WY, NV) for trophy quality tag access for a NR hunter, 4th ahead of NV if you're a CO resident.

• Sitka Gear