Elk
Contributors to this thread:
whitetailnut 13-Jul-15
huntingbob 14-Jul-15
Carnivore 14-Jul-15
Jaquomo 14-Jul-15
cityhunter 14-Jul-15
13-Jul-15
August 15 is opening day and this weekends scouting trip has me excited about it. I am very fortunate to be able to get an over the counter tag every year, but have only been successful once in the last 6 years. The area I found this past weekend is in some pretty thick bush, and I don't think too many people know about it. I am looking for some tips on how to set up for them. The elk around here don't seem to respond much too calling until the last week of august. Is it pretty much pointless to try to hunt them until they start talking or do any of you have any suggestions on something that may have worked for you in the past? Thanks.

14-Jul-15
Can you go in early and cut some shooting lanes?

14-Jul-15
If they are not calling, and not responding to your calling, you don't have much choice except to hunt them like whitetails: set up on funnels, watering holes, and trails between bedding and feeding areas. And by still-hunting. Those have all worked for me in the past, so I hunt every day I can.

Like whitetails, don't mess around in their bedding area except as a last resort. Because unlike whitetails, if bumped they won't be back for weeks.

14-Jul-15
Waterholes are a good bet early. But don't assume they aren't responding to calling. Almost all of the early-season bulls I call in take their sweet time to get there, 30-45 minutes. They sneak in.

I use a curiosity calling sequence somewhere within earshot of a potential bedding area but not when the wind is swirling. So it's within the last 60-90 minutes of shooting light. I mimic a small herd of cows and calves that have moved into the area and are milling around, breaking sticks, hitting hooves on logs, occasionally talking to each other.

A decoy can really help, especially in thick cover.

14-Jul-15
i hunted elk once Aug 15 opener bulls were grouped up! they were very relaxed and a stalk on them wasnt impossible . My favorite place to kill a bull is in his bedding grounds but thats sept , Aug i would just try and pattern them they can be seen a long ways with that summer coat. Treestand in thick timber with some soft calling should bring a bull in to check it out .

• Sitka Gear