Jaquomo 15-Jul-15
wyobullshooter 15-Jul-15
Jaquomo 15-Jul-15
elkmtngear 15-Jul-15
wyobullshooter 15-Jul-15
cityhunter 15-Jul-15
Beendare 16-Jul-15
15-Jul-15
I've only hunted in draw units so I've always called elk. I see guys saying all the time put your calls away in crowded units but then I see the guys that are usually successful in OTC units , OTCwill, Jaquemo, cnelk and others, killing elk coming to a call. So to you guys that have killed bulls in OTC units, what percentage of the bulls you've killed were coming to a call. I would be willing to bet the majority are coming to a call. What say you?

15-Jul-15
The majority of herd bulls I've killed were ambushed, because they have no reason to come to a call. I hang around the herd until I get a shot. Maybe 1/4 were called in (of true OTC herd bulls).

But satellite bulls are fairly easy to call in, even with lots of hunting pressure, so long as you don't sound like every other guy in the woods who sits on a log and rhythmically calls with the same cow call over and over.

I do much more herd sounds, creating the illusion that a small herd has moved into the area, and the bull finally can't stand it and has to come look. Usually takes 20-30 minutes for them to make up their minds and sneak in, almost always silently.

Last year I called-in 14 bulls that way in a heavily hunted unit. All but one came in silently. The biggest one made one little whine about 70 yards away in the timber, and he was a big herd bull called in early, before he got cows. Just a little too far for my recurve when he hung up.

15-Jul-15
Jaq on this herd talk method are you usually cold calling or have bulls in sight?

15-Jul-15
This will be my 31st season hunting the same hard hunted, general license area. Although a few have been killed spot and stalk, the overwhelming majority of the 40+ elk that my hunting buddy, my son, and I have killed, I'd say better than 30 have been called in.

As Lou points out, it's much easier to call in smaller bulls than herd bulls, but you can also get lucky with the big guys. My biggest bull had 20-25 cows with him. I just kept pestering him for an hour and a half until he finally got pi$$ed enough to come over to kick my behind.

Calling early in the season can also pay off, but you MUST be patient. Most, if not all, will come in silent...you won't have a clue they're there, until they're there. One afternoon I had three bulls come in to investigate, and not one of them made a peep.

Once in a while, I'll hit a locator bugle early in the morning, but I do that very seldom. More times than not, the only thing you'll do is draw in other hunters. I use mainly mews as I'm going through the timber, and bugle only if I think it's necessary. Once I get a bull in close, if I need to bugle I will. I figure even if it draws someone else in, I'm close enough to seal the deal before they stumble in and screw things up. I'll always try to get as tight to the bull as I dare, before I make a sound. I don't want him to know I even exist until I'm close enough to make him make a decision...either come check me out, or head to parts unknown. Sometimes you win, most times you lose. Just keep plugging along till you find the one that wants to play.

I've also hunted exclusively out of a treestand in the evenings for a dozen years or so, due to the squirrely afternoon/evening winds in the area I hunt. Again, using mews almost exclusively, I've called in and killed a half-dozen bulls out of the same tree.

I know Bigdan will think I'm being sacrilegious, but mews have been the demise of many an elk!

15-Jul-15
What you 2 have said reaffirms my assumption to an extent as I would guess the majority of OTC killed bulls are not the herd bull.

15-Jul-15
I bet nobody can beat my record of calling in four hunters with one bugle! I did it last year in Idaho...in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. Thought I was alone...not the case.

15-Jul-15
LINK, your assumption would be correct, but that's not surprising. Herd bulls don't get big by being naïve. In hard hunted areas, you better know what you're doing, and even then, there's nothing guaranteed when holding out for a herd bull. The stars need to align just right to kill a herd bull.

Fact is, in hard hunted areas, the number of mature herd bulls is mighty small. Fact is, most don't live long enough to grow to the size we all dream about.

Back when I was happy to kill any bull, my success rate was 100%. Now that I've gotten a little picky, my success rate has taken a hit. Unless one has killed lots of elk, one would be making a big mistake passing up any legal bull.

15-Jul-15
Wyo I would assume that if a guy sees 100 elk 1 or 2 might be true herd bulls. Agree or disagree with that?

Sounds a lot like fishing in heavy fished trophy waters where the giant trout are seen but rarely hooked because they have seen everything.

Once in a while someone gets lucky...

15-Jul-15
LINK, I almost always cold-call with that method. I like to set up below a bedding area in the evening when the wind has settled.

Rob, being picky can teach us a lot about hunting elk, but sometimes when we get down to the wire the freezer ends up empty. After passing up many last year and then having my setups go haywire during the last couple days, I'm going to be much less discriminating this season!

15-Jul-15
Sage, I'd say that's a reasonable percentage. Most of the herd bulls in the areas I hunt fall in the 260-280 range...however. Every once in a while, I'll run into a 340-360 class bull, but those instances are measured in years, not days or weeks.

Lou, you and I are on the same page! I'm running low on sausage meat, so this year, if he's close to a road, he's in trouble...regardless of size! lol! Best of luck to you, my friend!

15-Jul-15
My experience is the same as Wyo's as far as what constitutes a "mature bull". Last year in about 25 days of hunting I saw three or four that were over honest 300. The 330 I called-in and couldn't shoot was the biggest, and he was all alone early in the season.

Otherwise the bulls running the herds ranged from 230-270, mostly. But we both hunt in fairly heavily hunted areas not far from each other, except in different states.

15-Jul-15
Like Wyobullshooter, I've called in a number of bulls from treestands using soft mews...and a couple using spike squeals when they tried to "call me to them" with bugles/chuckles.

Most of the bulls I've called in on the ground I've been very close to before I called them in.

I always hear the guys out squawking, moving from ridge to ridge. And the elk's reaction is total silence.

You've got to realize, it's not just elk you might be calling in if it's a crowded unit.

Best of Luck, Jeff

15-Jul-15
Just to add a little more to the puzzle. Last year I called in two "herd bulls" within a minute of each other, around the 10th of Sep. The first one stopped 25yds, broadside, when I hit a mew. He was a dinky 4x5 that had three cows with him. The second stopped at 15yds, also broadside, when I once again hit a mew. He was a "monster" forky that had 5 cows. Needless to say, the big boys hadn't showed up yet, so the term "herd bull, is all relative.

As Jeff alludes to, I always use the least aggressive call (mew), then amp it up to a small bull squeal, then all-out bugle, tree raking , grunting, etc, if I have to. I'll let the bull decide what I need to do next. I'll ALWAYS use the least aggressive calling first. I don't want to blow him out if he's the least bit tentative, which is the rule, rather than the exception, in a hard hunted area.

15-Jul-15
i hunted a wy unit hunters all over the place it suxed But a 3 mile hike in and i had unlimted elk all to myself . If i see hunters i keep moving these days lots of folks only educate them elk .

16-Jul-15
When with a buddy, fully 90% of the bulls we killed in OTC were called in- thats what we do is run and gun!

Solo, the bulk of my bulls have either been lightly called to with a Deke or sneak....

• Sitka Gear