Elk Dog 17-Oct-15
Elk Dog 17-Oct-15
killinstuff 17-Oct-15
Ermine 17-Oct-15
bigbulls6 18-Oct-15
15-Jul-15

WapitiBob's MOBILE embedded Photo
WapitiBob's MOBILE embedded Photo

I haven't had a non leaking boot in over 25 years. These Salomon's have a two week elk hunt, one week antelope hunt, and two weekend antelope scouting trips on them.

Edit; title should be another Goretex fail. The boots are fine.

15-Jul-15
I feel ya. They are the best fitting/feeling boot I've used in 25+ years. But also one of the worst in the durability department. Mine leaked like a sieve from day one. Now, after just a year, the sole is coming apart.

I just bought a new pair yesterday. I can't find anything else that has the roomy forefoot and tight heel that doesn't cause slippage. I guess I'll just consider them disposable after a year and deal with wet feet. Dont know what else to do.

15-Jul-15
+1

Great fit

Great hunting for six months then the dam broke.

15-Jul-15
Are those the Quest 4D GTX boots?

15-Jul-15
I love my Salomon Quest 4Ds... But they started leaking day 3 of my elk hunt last year. I'll still wear them because they are far and away the best fitting boot I own...

15-Jul-15
My 1st pair of Salomon's I bought 3 years ago are great. Bought a pair on sale at REI last year and they don't fit the same. Same width and size.

15-Jul-15
It seemed the boots of 25 years ago were better at water proof. My quasi-remedy is rotating two pairs while basing out of my Tacoma! C

15-Jul-15
I'm going to listen to Aron and go to a stiff sole semi mountaineering boot. It didn't take much time on the rocks when antelope scouting to feel the downside to a flexible sole. Maybe the stiffness will help keep the Goretex together a little longer.

15-Jul-15
I'd say since I have owned in the past and currently own Goretex boots that didn't or don't leak, that get many, many rugged miles put on them outdoors working and hunting, it isn't the Goretex as much as the engineering and workmanship of the boots, Salomans or not. I guess a simple way of putting it is If Gortex is waterproof in clothing, it can be in boots too, if the boots are made right. Put the blame where it belongs. On the boot maker. God Bless

15-Jul-15
SD, did you ever try the selewa repace? A friend has been on me to try them.

15-Jul-15
WB, no I have not. Actually what I'm looking for is a stiff mountaineering boot the doesnt cause heel slip and has a wide forefoot. Got a pair of wide Lowa Tibets on the way. Really tired of experimenting.

It the wide Tibet doesn't work, Zamberlan Vios is on deck.

16-Jul-15
Just got done with Internet reviews. Everybody but my friend says the Selewa leak out of the box.

I will look at those and the cevedale. Good luck in your search.

16-Jul-15
I think WapitiBob nailed it. Every "flexible" goretex boot I've owned has leaked in short order. Never tried these, but several others, several danners and vasque to name a couple.

The stiff hard mountaineering boots seem to keep the liner intact longer/better. Great boots for hiking/packing but not so much for bowhunting. Some of the soles are so hard you might as well be smacking rocks together as you walk over stuff in them.

16-Jul-15
If you want a stiff mountaineering boot try Kenetrek's. My Mt. Extremes repel water about as effectively as a cotton t-shirt floating in the lake. Good boots...until one drop of dew forms on the grass and finds it's way into your sock.

16-Jul-15
SDHNTR,

I'd say you will be pleasantly surprised by the Wide Tibets... I had the same problem with Kenetreks I wore for years and other various boots I tried... My Wide Tibets fit me like a glove. Still getting used to using a stiffer boot (worked amazing on the Dall Sheep hunt last fall). Seems overkill at times in some terrains but it's better than squeezing my foot into a boot that doesn't fit.

16-Jul-15
I have had good luck with the Lowa Camino. Stiffer then the Salomon's but not too stiff. I think it is a great compromise boot between light weight and heavy weight.

16-Jul-15
SD, I just saw your Rok post mentioning the REI special order policy. Thanks for that bit of info.

16-Jul-15
Great luck with Schnees Beartooth.

16-Jul-15
I've also had good results with the Schnee's Beartooth. For stiff boots the soles are pretty soft and quiet, too.

17-Jul-15
I had the same thing happen with my pair of 4D Quests...so went for a pair of Lowa Renegade Mids; so far so good [including a fair amount of wet weather wear]

17-Jul-15
Kennetrek and schnees. Keep oil on em and you'll stay dry

17-Jul-15
Just bought the Schnees Absorky's. Never tried the "E-vent" membrane (not Gore-tex) but hope it is better...

17-Jul-15
Crispi is the best boot I've ever owned. FACT.

17-Jul-15
Barty, I just ordered a pair of the Renegade Pro's. Hope they work out.

17-Jul-15
I went thru 2 pair of Renegades prior to the Quest.

17-Jul-15
What issues, Bob? Just leakage?

17-Jul-15
Leaked like a sieve. Comfy as heck though.

17-Jul-15
I'm just buying the Renegades as a backup to my Meindl Perfekt Hikers as they are close to the end of their life. I bought the Hikers in '08 and have used them exclusively on my western hunts. Amazingly, they STILL don't leak.

17-Jul-15
The italian made vasque skywalks were the best. I had one pair last 4 elk hunts and were still dry. I stocked up on them when they were discontinued. Unfortunately the ones that come out of the closet for this years hunt are black, red and gray!

17-Jul-15
I'm with midwest, great luck with my Meindl Perfekt Hikers.. I use Nikwax on them and only put it on after they get good and wet, like walking in wet grass.. They are a mid on the stiffness scale to me. They have very little seams for water to get in. I get about 5/6 years of hunting about a month to 6 weeks each year and then start wearing them more as I buy a new pair to replace the old. I'm on my 3rd pair. Ed

18-Jul-15
IMO you need to get a full leather boot....not gore tex or e-vent stuff. full leather with rubber coming up the sides. Almost no seams to leak. Then take care of the leather and you will stay dry.

19-Jul-15
X3 on the Beartooths. Just had them restitched in advance of their 5th elk season.

19-Jul-15
Debating between Lowa Clevedale Pro and Tibet. The pro is the same boot they made for Lathrop but blue.

20-Jul-15
"IMO you need to get a full leather boot....not gore tex or e-vent stuff. full leather with rubber coming up the sides. Almost no seams to leak. Then take care of the leather and you will stay dry. "

Exactly what I was thinking.

21-Jul-15
"IMO you need to get a full leather boot....not gore tex or e-vent stuff. full leather with rubber coming up the sides. Almost no seams to leak. Then take care of the leather and you will stay dry. "

If I take care of my end, which is a fair amount of labor, my leather Russells will keep me dry for days on end. Only get wet when my pants legs get wet and my socks wick the water down into them. (I think sometimes boots do get blamed for leaking when it's not their fault, socks wick in moisture seemingly better than they wick it out...)

Not only that, stitched on replaceable soles of a dozen different types.... they are on their 3rd sole (soft brown rubber vibram air bobs) and probably last legs... but they have lasted many years, several times over any other boot I've owned. I hunt in them nearly every week, much of it in pure lava rock like yesterdays goat hunt. Plus several pack-in trips on the mainland. One coming up in a few weeks. I'll give em one more year....

I'm looking at boots, those russells are real heavy in comparison to most, over the years I think my feet have gotten heavier too.... But I still might just order an new pair to replace em. Best boots overall I've owned. Custom built, fit like no other. 8" support. Soft rubber quiet. Build em with any feature you want. Still looking....

21-Jul-15
I had a pair of Lowa Tibet Highs where one boot leaked badly and one boot not at all out of the box. Lowa replaced them (took 6 months) and the new pair does not leak after a year of use. Must be the way they get built.

21-Jul-15
Every person in our elk hunting group has a pair of meindel perfekt hunters. 0 problems!!!! I had a pair of Salomans and they leaked terrible.

21-Jul-15
TD, what Russell's do you have? I have two pair, Sheep Hunter and TLC. I was looking for the exact boot you describe in having these two built and neither has met my expectations. One pair doesn't fit right, kills my feet on any sort of side hill and the seam at the heel tears me up, and while the other pair fits OK, neither have the ankle or arch support I consider necessary for a mountain boot. I've relegated both of them to flat land hunts. One pair also leaks like a sieve right away, and the other still leaks but it takes a little longer. Both leak at the spot where the stitching from the tongue gusset comes together with the lower part of the boot on both sides. I've been disappointed with my Russell's. Great idea, just poor execution in my case.

21-Jul-15
WB if you get the Tibets, consider your width sizing to account for the addition of an extra-thick cushioned footbed. Without it, mine feel as hard as a brick-bat.

21-Jul-15
My experience with Russell's was the same as SDHNTRs. They were great boots for flatter terrain, but didn't really fit the bill for tough mountain stuff. Plus, they weren't even remotely water proof.

My next pair will likely be the Schnee Beartooth.

21-Jul-15
Presently have Kenetreks going on third year, and hey have been comfortable and dry so far. This is the best boot, for me, that I've ever owned.

I also have Lowa Tibets that I honestly cannot remember when I got them! They just don't give me enough support in my bad leg, so don't use them elk hunting.

The Meindl Perfect Hiker is a great boot for sure. Wore them for years before picking up the Lowa.

21-Jul-15
I have had great luck with Schnees Granites. 2 sheep hunts a Goat hunt and multiple elk hunts. Also worked out in them carrying a 60 to 80lb pack. They are still going strong. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

21-Jul-15
I gave up cannot find a boot that does not or does not crack after less than two years!

21-Jul-15

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
I've been looking/studying boots last few years, folks here really know their boots and equipment, a wealth of knowledge. And if you couldn't tell, I love talking/studying gear... I'm a tool guy at heart, or maybe just a tool... depends on who you talk to.

I have the Stalkers(?). Did not get the steel shank, did get the heel counters. I forget what else I added to them but it wasn't much. Every time I put them on I wish I'd ordered them with the pull loop on the back.... I'm thinking I got them in 2003, 2004, around there. Fit like a glove the first day I wore them. Use them year round at least every week, not just a few weeks out of the year. They have their faults, again, mostly very heavy. But I've gotten some 11-12 years out of them. Maybe the Russel quality has fallen off some over the years? Don't know.

My measurements were a bit out of the norm, skinny 8 1/2" ankles and 16" calves. They called me twice to double check it before they built them. I use aftermarket insoles to adjust whatever support type I want. Superfeet I didn't care for, too hard and stiff, although I like them on the Schnees outfitters that have very little support. I forget whats in there now, I tried a couple others, the one in there now you heat in the oven before you slip it in the boot and put the boot on to form it.

Likely not a sheep mountain boot in the mountaineering sense, but ID, MT, OR elk they've done everything I've asked. Will be packing into a wilderness in the Cascades next month, did the same trip last year till the fires drove us out. Might be their last big trip as the leather has worn out through the sidewall stitching. But they are on their 3rd sole. It's about worn out too.

WRT all leather boots, right out of the box get two coats or so of Obenaufs over a couple days to soak in, set them in the sun so the treatment melts in real well, use a narrow stiff brush to work it into the seams. Then one or two coats of MT pitch blend. For me, I do this 1 or 2 times a year. A stiff brush cleaning and a quick coat of MT Pitch Blend once a month or so when I can remember to. It's a lot of maintenance to me, but if a person is using all leather that is what it takes to keep them waterproof and supple IMO. Only time they have leaked is when I let thing go and let them get dry.

Obenaufs is a great conditioner, not great waterproofing. The MT pitch blend pretty good water proofing/protection when it cures, not as good a conditioner. Together I think they work very well.

Stitched soles are normally wider than glued or "vulcanized" soles. Steep sidehills and such the "modern" narrower soles have a definite advantage. The "lip" on stitched soles can catch on rocks at times, advantage "one piece". But the softer, wider more flexible soles and boots have the advantage when you're getting close to game. 8" uppers I have real ankle support for skinny ankles and good protection in the bad rocks. The sharp lava here will cut you up pretty good.

Synthetics.... while they are essentially maintenance free, grab them out of the closet and put em on, once the liner is compromised there is nothing you can do to bring them back. They are toast. Wear out a sole, rip a seam, come unglued... toast. Essentially non-repairable.

Probably will try another boot and see how it holds up. But I don't want any more one or two year $250-300 boots that leak or break down. If that's the case I'm back to the Russel's.

TTT. Keep the info coming folks. Enjoy reading what everyone is liking or disliking in their boots. Pretty clear different boots fit different people.... um, differently....

22-Jul-15
TD, I've used Obenaufs for a while and love the stuff. I did see someone mention the fact that their boots didn't fail, with regard to waterproofing, but their feet got wet from their socks wicking moister down into the boot. I have had this happen and wonder how many times it happens to others, and they think their boot failed, but it actually did not.

28-Jul-15
I have a pair of Salomans that are 4 years old now. I can't remember the model name or number. Got them at REI. I've done 2 elk hunts with them and this year will be the third. I've also done a bunch of hiking and work around the yard in them.They have held up great....especially since I have serious Fred Flintstone feet. Big, wide and flat as a board. I stomp through most shoes and boots in a matter of days.

We had pretty good rain the last elk hunt. And I don't remember my feet being wet. Maybe it is the "new and improved" boots with the waterproof and durability issues?????

28-Jul-15
Has anyone ever taken a brand new pair of GTX boots out of the box, put some rocks inside and set them in a tub of water to verify that they are good from the start?

I have 2 new pairs that I think I'm going to test that way before taking afield.

I have one pair that I have beaten literally to death (most hikes here in NM are dry, so no way to know if the GTX is working). Last hike in the rain they got very wet. I wondered if it was just foot sweat so filled them with water and let them sit. Leaked like a sieve, although like I said I have abused them hard for several years.

13-Oct-15

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
And another one bites the dust. This is getting to be routine. Lowa Cevedale Pro, $380, two months, and maybe 50 miles.

13-Oct-15
I've always thought that Cordura boots can allow water to get between the outer Cordura and the Gore Tex membrane where it travels under the foot and is then forced into the boot from the pressure of walking.

13-Oct-15
My Lowa Renegades held up to their first season like a champ. I swapped them daily with my 7 year old Meindl Perfekt Hikers. A very wet and snowy first week but coupled with my KUIU gaiters, I never had wet feet.

13-Oct-15
As SBH said above, Kenetrek and keep them oiled. Did a week bowhunt with lots of rain, Kenetreks, rain pants and Kenetrek gaitors, feet got wet. Went home dried out and treated the Kenetreks with their boot dressing. Guided a rifle hunt with lots more rain, same boots and clothing and never had a drop in the boots. Just got a second pair of Kenetreks, the Terranes and can't wait to try them.

13-Oct-15
At least 4 pairs of Lowa Tibets between my elk hunting partner and I, and they all leak. Comfortable boot to walk in and fit great, but wet feet SUCK!

13-Oct-15
have had great luck with my hanwags. they are several years old and still as great as advertised.

13-Oct-15
"Every 'flexible' goretex boot I've owned has leaked in short order."

That's also been my experience. Unless I'm going to be hiking 10 miles/day and/or doing some serious mountain climbing, I just use my Mucks.

13-Oct-15
same here. I think I have eight plus years on my Hanwags, and they have been flawless. Worth every penny.

13-Oct-15
I can't imagine hunting the mountains in Muck boots.

13-Oct-15
I only get all leather boots and with as little seams as I can. The more seams the more stitches the more places water can get in. Over the years a well taken care or all leather boots have kept my feet dryer than any other mountain boot I've owned..

As rooter stated about water getting push through the g-tex I believe is very true.. Here's why I have a good g-tex jacket and on a all day rainy day it will keep me dry. If I put a backpack on, on a rainy day and wear that same jacket my shoulders get wet right under where the pack straps on my shoulders are. Ed

13-Oct-15
I used a wax ring for toilets and practically melt it into the gortex and leather of the boots with a heat gun. Sense I've been doing this my boots don't get wet. I can see the rain bubble off of them. I just reapply before every hunt.

I have used this on boots I was going to throw out. I had a cheap pair of Irish setters that were the most comfortable boot I ever wore but they leaked bad. I coated them with a wax ring and that stopped the leaks. It didn't help the soles, they wore out less than 2 years later. Now I know why they were cheap.

13-Oct-15
From my limited experience, dew will go through goretex like shit through a goose. Rain water, or stream water, not so much. I have read that dew molecules are smaller, and a couple turkey hunts in heavy dew seem to bear that out. The boots were waterproof wading a creek a week before, and the dew totally soaked my feet a week later. My two cents.

13-Oct-15
Put another 100+ miles on my Salomon Quest 4Ds this fall... My 4-day archery elk hunt was a mess of rain and snow and they far outperformed my buddy's new Lowas. I'm starting to get some heel separation (very minimal but we all know when it starts it ain't stopping) and this will likely be their last season but I'm sure during my son's rifle elk season they'll get another few dozen miles.

Bottom line, I'll be buying another pair...

13-Oct-15
I have given up believing anyone can make a waterproof/breathable boot, and it makes sense when you think about it. Goretex is the same as Teflon. Same thing as is in nonstick skillets. Take a fork and scratch teflon and you will see it is not overly tough. the places I put my boots through and the stretching and hard knocks they take, how can anything like Teflon not have breaks at some point? It is what it is and until someone comes out with something better, will continue to buy it and get as much use as I can out of it.

13-Oct-15
Dry: I believe dew water droplets are just as big as rain droplets or water in a creek. The difference is time. With dew, you are basically walking in a "dew" river for hours and your boots stay soaked. When you wade a stream, you are out of it within a minute. If you waded upstream for 30 minutes, your boots would leak.

13-Oct-15
I think some of you guys who are referring to "all leather" boots vs. goretex might not understand what goretex is and might be confusing it with cordura or other synthetic outer boot material.

Goretex is a thin liner/barrier that can be put into all leather or cordura boots usually between the leather or cordura outer surface and the soft inner lining.

I've had 3 pairs of Lowa Tibets over the years (1 regular and 2 wide). In my experience they are waterproof for about a year or 2 and after that they leak like a screen door on a submarine. I'm still amazed at how comfortable they are and how supportive they are even after they are saturated, but as Elkaddict said, wet feet SUCK!

13-Oct-15
This elk season we had 4 days of rain and then snow on the ground on the 5th day. I had soaking wet boots for 6 days and it was cold. My brother had Danner pronghorns and was fairly dry throughout. I was wondering if anyone has tried the seal skin waterproof socks. It would have been a lot more easy slipping on my wet frozen boots at 4am if I had these. Any experiences?

13-Oct-15
Schnee's Beartooth.

13-Oct-15
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme

13-Oct-15
For my next moose hunt I got a pair of Muck hiking style boots. It's not a hike all day on the rocks type of hunt so I am hoping that if I couple them with gaiters that my feet with stay dry. I've not had good experience with any Gore-Tex boots.

13-Oct-15
These Cevedale's are very stiff. I thought that would be the difference. There is light flexing right at that leather/nylon junction of the toe box. The water came thru that spot as if there was nothing there. It ran out as fast as I poured it in.

I'm at a total loss as to what to get. Elk Hunters, Pronghorns, Vasque Breeze, Lowa Zephyr, Lowa Renegades, Merrell Moab, Salomon Quest 4d's, and now Lowa Cevedale. All leaked in short order.

I know Gore-tex can't work in a flexing boot by it's very nature unless you get extremely lucky. As pointed out, hydraulics will force water thru it and any flexing will stretch or tear it. Not sure why I keep trying to find that one boot that works, I guess I'm just bull headed.

13-Oct-15
my experience is similar to yours Wbob. I just gave up and use the ziplocks stuffed in whatever boot I wear.

13-Oct-15
easeup, at least you know where you can get an emergency supply of water.

13-Oct-15
I gave up on trying to keep my feet dry with boots. Tried many, many brands without success. I absolutely hate putting on wet boots every morning when hunting.

Here's how i keep my feet dry. I put on dry wool socks then put on a pair of gore-tex socks (currently Rocky's). Then I slip my feet into wet boots and cover with gators. Keeps my feet dry the first few hours of hunting and I usually take the gore-tex socks off when I stop for lunch. Sometimes my feet get slightly wet after a few hours but it's very tolerable. If i can get til 9 or 10am with dry feet i'm good.

I have 2 pairs that i rotate daily so i always have a dry pair for the next morning.

14-Oct-15
WapitiBob have you tried all leather boots yet? Do believe my next pair will be leather lined.

For GTX boots my Asolo tps 520 gtx have held up the best so far. Better than Tibets, Renegades, and Meindl hikers.

14-Oct-15
i don't care how comfortable the boots are, if they leak and my feet get wet, they suck!

i too have not found a pair of boots that are waterproof in many years. some leak out of the box some take a few weeks. but none last!

a stiff soled boot sucks for hunting, sucks for being quiet. i like to be able to conform to the rocks and logs, stiff boots are like an over inflated tire, haul bigger loads, but the traction sucks.

14-Oct-15
Try a Meindl Denali or their new Western Guide. Awesome boots for the money and I have had no issues with goretex on them except once, and we do hundreds of miles a year...

14-Oct-15
Maravia, I'm no longer a soft sole boot guy. A cpl miles over rocks in Antelope country opened my eyes to the wear and tear on my feet when I wore the Quest 4D's. The stiff sole of the Cevedales was a night and day upgrade. They're plenty quiet for the Elk/Antelope hunting I do and the foot comfort on hills/rocks greatly outweighs the slight "ski boot" effect on hard flat ground. The upper portion of the cevedales were as flexible as the Quest's. Minus the water issue, these cevedale's have been the best boot on my feet.

14-Oct-15
Bob - I think you're expecting too much. Like me, you put your boots through a lot and expect them to perform. But simply put, there is no perfect boot that's going to stay 100% dry. New or old. In continuous, wet conditions, (unless, they're rubber) they're going to eventually leak. (and I'm not a fan of rubber)

What I've done is gone to multiple pairs of boots that fit me right. All are gortex to some degree, but most importantly, they provide the support and fit needed. If a pair leaks, I switch to another and let the first dry out. I always use a good conditioner on all of them when needed, and as they continue to break down and are less and less water resistant, that's when they're put to rest.

IMO, You're asking too much. Start looking for boots that fit you right, and give the durability needed to survive the terrain your hunting in. Then buy a second pair and start rotating... Good luck

14-Oct-15
I understand a saturated bootie will eventually force water thru the liner via hydraulics at the toe box. I can live with that and have actually worked on a full coverage gator to help with that. The Cevedales saw one day of light rain, that's all, and they didn't leak. Thought I had a winner at that point and actually posted on another boot thread that these might be the ones. Without cutting them apart, it appears the Gore-tex simply came apart at the toe box hinge point from general use. An uneducated guess is not enough excess gore-tex in the bootie to withstand the flex/stretch.

I do give Lowa props, they did contact me today asking to have the retailer send them in for inspection.

14-Oct-15
One other thing I always do is not introduce wet conditions to any of my boots until they are well broke in. Let them form and fit the shape of your foot along with softening up.

Glad to here Lowa is giving you an ear. I have a pair of Tibets that are 4-5 yrs old now. Don't wear them much due to weight. But they are my "go to's" when I know it's going to be an all day soaker. And yes, they have leaked on occasion. But never a complete soak through.

14-Oct-15

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I've had good luck with the new Adidas GTX outdoor shoes. Two bivy trips and a half dozen days in the rocks and they kept me dry with just a set of sitka shorty gaiters in a giant rain storm a couple weeks ago. They were good enough that I even bought a set of the mid height ones.

My two year old Solomon GTX mid tops only leak a tiny bit still.

I must be having better luck with my shoes than most.

cheers, Pete

14-Oct-15
I am in the camp of a one piece leather boot. One that is designed to be waterproof and has the best leather you can afford. Really with the price of all of the boots mentioned a full leather boot costs no more.

Here is why. Logically the gore tex membrane is taking too much abuse in a boot. Think about your rain gear, I have tried it all and more or less it will all leak at some point unless it is rubber.

Fine European bootmakers have always leaned towards full leather, The leather must be cleaned and waxed regularly but will keep your feet dry at least as much as a gore tex boot with a patchwork of 8 different sewn together items.

The Key reason I say all leather is that at least you have a chance to dry out a leather boot. It breathes and allows the water to escape and dry as you walk etc. Once a gore tex boot is wet it will not dry out in my experience once wet it will take 2 days indoors in front of a heat source and even then it will probably be wet inside.

16-Oct-15
Lowa Boots called today but was working. Not something I expected but I'm looking forward to talking to the guy.

16-Oct-15
Alot of great info on boots, What kind of socks do you like, merino wool, poly liner???

17-Oct-15
That's the combo I use most of the time but I did find with the Cevedale I had no issues with hot spots when using only a mid weight merino and no liner. I did swap the footbeds out for soft gel. Most of the guys use merino socks now. Liners are maybe 50/50.

17-Oct-15
Anytime I know for sure thats it going to be wet I put on a pair of Seal Skinz socks over my regular wool socks. Feet stay dry every time. All my boots fail to some extent eventually but boot prep, Seal Skinz & gaiters keep me comfortable.

17-Oct-15

17-Oct-15
WapitiBob I think you should just spend the $3.00 on a spray can of bed liner from the auto parts store and give an old part of boots a good coating. Might be the only way you'll ever have dry feet with the luck you have with boots.

17-Oct-15
Darn. I was thinking about trying the lowa cervadale. I don't want a boot that take in a lot of water thou

18-Oct-15
My Zamberlan Outfitters are stiff but did not leak at and are still dry. I also have Danner Elk hunters again my old pair lasted for years used snow seal on them never leaked just fell apart from use wore them all the time though. Just bought another pair see if they are still good. They are heavy though. Also snow seal will darken the leather but they wont leak. Oh and American made!!

• Sitka Gear