Sean D. 16-Jul-15
Norseman 16-Jul-15
midwest 16-Jul-15
JLS 16-Jul-15
Danno 16-Jul-15
Bear Track 16-Jul-15
deerman406 18-Jul-15
15-Jul-15
Just curious - after you have pushed yourself to the max and then are suffering from it - what do you use to get through the pain.

Ibuprofen or Aleve - just wondering if there is something better?

15-Jul-15
a good single malt....and then Cyclobenzaprine at night only.....

otherwis just regular Naproxen

15-Jul-15
Is Naproxen over the counter? Never heard of it.

15-Jul-15
Naproxen is Aleve. Non steroidal anti inflammatory.

15-Jul-15
Thanks

15-Jul-15
Lortab 5.5 , eat it like candy during hunting season

15-Jul-15
Something to think about and Lou and many others will say I am going Boulderite, but I have never used pain Meds while hunting (with the exception of some fine scotch). I mix up several batches of juice before I leave home. They consist of things like kale, spinach, carrots, beet greens, green apples, etc. send me a PM if you are interested.

I have one in the morning and one at night and feel great all day. A word of caution. Work your way into this regimen for a few weeks before hunting, otherwise you will suffer from some unfortunate and immediate impulses to find a tree in the woods.

Mike

15-Jul-15
I used to use Aleve. Then, I started to develop lesions, and a host of other problems. Allergies are cumulative, and my body reached its limit for NSAIDs.

Now, it's scotch, bourbon or percocet. Tylenol doesn't do much for me.

16-Jul-15
I use a combination of minerals to keep from cramping. Right now recovering from shoulder surgery and using either naproxo (available generically, don't spend extra on Aleve), Ibu, or Aceto. They are all about the same as far as I can tell. They all contain warnings against long term use. Oxy is a better pain reliever, but side effects make it not worth using unless you are climbing the wall (I wish).

Train hard and the hunt goes easy.

16-Jul-15
Check with your doctor, NSAIDS such as Aleve(Naproxen) and Ibuprofen are very hard on your kidneys. Excessive use will lead to Chronic Kidney Disease.

16-Jul-15
I take Celebrex every day that I hunt. Easy on the stomach, lasts 24 hours. Makes a big difference in how your feet feel at the end of the day and you sleep better at night with less back ache.

16-Jul-15
A word of caution: Use Naproxen sparingly and take only on a full stomach. My mom had a terrible bleeding ulcer in her duodenum caused by taking Naproxen. Every doctor that treated her gave us the same advice-It causes ulcers and kidney/liver damage. Over-the-counter does not always mean it's safe. Proper hydration will alleviate muscle soreness before it starts.

16-Jul-15
^^^^^^^ Yep. Naproxen eats my guts unless I take it while eating.

And if you're pissing stinky gold, drink more fluids, but if you're pushing lots of water, snack on something. Too much water alone will flush out your electrolytes.

16-Jul-15
I suffer...

16-Jul-15
One of the things I do to help with sore muscles: Vitamin C: 3 gms three times daily. You will be very surprised how much this helps. You will still need some ibuprophen, aleve, sparingly and especially if you tweek a joint, but your muscles will be good. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin and you just pee out the excess

16-Jul-15
Nothing, I bite the bullet!

16-Jul-15
Take a good multi vitamin and I add 10000iu of vit D and 3000 iu of fish oil! Always drink some whey after your workout! Not really much help with the pain but you've heard the phrase, "no pain, no gain" so just suck it up and the pain goes away eventually!

16-Jul-15
R-O-L-A-I-D-S

Some u older guys might get it.

16-Jul-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

16-Jul-15
I don't take anything except for a nightly Benadryl to ward off any itchy nose or throat issues.

16-Jul-15
Guys, I am a doc. both naproxen and ibuprofen are NSAIDS, non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. Both are very safe, especially when used short term. As already mentioned, both can cause stomach upset. Best to take with food. Most severe long term side affects can be kidney issues and blood clots. If not taking any medications currently, try before you go. If taking meds, then check with your own physician. I am 53 now and will take daily during my elk and deer hunts. I have found that taking before hand keeps me from getting as sore. Also, stay hydrated.

16-Jul-15

Bear Track's Link
Thanks Dan. As an outfitter and guide, plus turning 60 in a few weeks, I get the odd sore day and Aleve is always my "go to". Will be with me when I head to Colorado in Sept.

18-Jul-15
Keep sugars out of your diet. You will be amazed how much less you ache. I also you vicodin 10 mg. and take up to 3 if I am really hurting. Careful with Aleve it can be bad on your belly. Vitmin C is good as well as vitamin D, I take both daily and also a good multi-vitamin. Shawn

• Sitka Gear