elkmtngear 16-Jul-15
midwest 16-Jul-15
ohiohunter 16-Jul-15
wyobullshooter 16-Jul-15
Chip T. 16-Jul-15
16-Jul-15

Brijake's embedded Photo
Brijake's embedded Photo
I am wondering if anyone knows the eyesight pattern of an elk? If you are on a calling set up it would be good to know how much of their peripheral vision is going to catch movement.

Like how they show the top view spread of a car headlight pattern would be easiest to understand.

16-Jul-15
I've read that it's anywhere form 340 to a full 360 degrees.

16-Jul-15
Like most prey animals, they have a pretty wide field of view. I seem to remember 270 deg.

16-Jul-15
Unless you're looking directly at the back of their head you can safely assume that they can see you.

16-Jul-15
I have always lived by the adage of, if you can see their eye, they can see you...

16-Jul-15
My experience has led my to believe they have eyes in the back of their heads.

16-Jul-15
I had a really nice bull bust my draw from 270 degrees behind him (I froze and let him walk past me at 10 feet)

I don't even attempt to pull that off anymore!

16-Jul-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
In the case of antelope, they pretty much have eyes in the back of their head. Photo courtesy of BB.

16-Jul-15
Just assume you're in vegas at the black jack table.

It just may pay in dividends to have a draw weight you can draw straight back at a moderate speed so you don't get a big flinch/bump movement after your bow lets off. Sometimes you can get away with murder, sometimes you get murdered.

16-Jul-15
Amen, DL!

If you can see ANY part of their head, don't risk moving. Wait till their vison is obscured by a tree before you draw, readjust, etc. Otherwise, you WILL be kicking yourself!

16-Jul-15
If you are calling and they are coming in make sure you draw before you see them. If you wait until yuou see them it is way to late. Watched a hunting show last nite and the hunter drew when he saw the bull and never had a chance. Their eyesight is uncanny.

• Sitka Gear