bnt40 19-Jul-15
ohiohunter 19-Jul-15
Jaquomo 19-Jul-15
cityhunter 20-Jul-15
glacier 20-Jul-15
Bake 20-Jul-15
Jason Scott 20-Jul-15
19-Jul-15
I am back at an elevation of 960 feet after spending 10 days in Colorado. I explored some beautiful country looking at otc units for either this Fall or next year if I don't get drawn in Wyoming or New Mexico. Wow, Colorado is beautiful. The good news, I am in better shape than I thought. The bad news is everything is much more rugged and bigger than what I expected and what appears on the map/google earth. I can see where a person could waste the first year or two just figuring out a spot. I think startmyhunt maps will be a go to for me when I decide to go to Colorado.

The roads are crazy steep in spots with 4 wheel drive working hard to get to some places. It is the going down part that is scary. I can't imagine what it would be like with some snow and ice. I think my family thought I was nuts taking them up and down some of the roads LOL. I just told them to hang on and live a little. They did enjoy it but probably would hesitate to go again.

In regards to elevation. I spent the first two days at an elevation of 7000 feet. I didn't notice much change but could tell the air was thinner than what I am used to in Minnesota. I hiked 6 miles the second day. I would recommend spending a day or two at this elevation prior to moving up to 10000 feet. Day three I was up at 10k + and could really feel it. It took about a day at this elevation to get used to it. The rest of the time was spent somewhere between 7 - 11k hiking and exploring. I was hiking with a pack on (20 lbs). Getting to the elk shouldn't be a problem but getting them out most definately will be an issue. I think I was a over confident in where and how far back I would go especially solo. This trip changed my mindset a bit.

A couple of things - I need a good new pack. One that fits better and doesn't cause me to sweat as much. Not sure if it exists but will be looking through/back at the pack recommendation threads.

Throw away anything cotton. One afternoon I wanted to go hiking and my family didn't. I went to a trailhead with some cotton shorts and t shirt and pack. I was a sweaty mess by the time I returned from the 7 mile hike. I think merino wool will be my go to clothes. My other synthetic clothes worked fine but wouldn't be great for hunting.

Good hiking boots are a must. My boots were pretty decent but would go with a higher ankle support. Going down the mountain is harder on the body/knees than going up. Going up works the lungs more.

I will stick with my hiking and biking routine at home as it seemed to get me up and down the mountains ok. Now packing an elk out will surely test one more so than just hiking.

No up close encounters with elk but found old rubs. Saw a lot of mule deer and a nice chocolate colored bear.

Oh, forgot, storms and lightning strikes come up quick when one is up high. Something I read about but never experienced. I was close by when the two campers/hikers were killed in their tent in the Maroon Bells wilderness.

A great trip and an eye opener. I think I looked at 7 different otc units. Of course this was just a brief look but enough to give me a feel for where I will be headed and what type of terrain I want to hunt.

Take care and remember elk season is just around the corner.

19-Jul-15
Thanks for the link. A sad deal.

19-Jul-15
That trip will put you light years ahead of just going out there cold. Just learning the road systems, possible camp sights, access, etc. Have a great trip!

19-Jul-15
Yep, boots and pack choice can be a real game changer. If you hunt the real high country over 10k the heat usually isn't as bad in September. Below that it can easily be hot and muggy! Me and my wife just spent the money and bought Kifaru packs, hoping to find a used tipi before season, otherwise I'll just make an extra hump up the trail with a regular tent since we aren't going real far in, just trying to take the worst part of the trail into where we like to hunt out of the morning and evening grind. Good luck, glad you enjoyed your trip!

19-Jul-15
Thanks Midwest. Oldgoat I'll take a look at the Kifaru packs as well. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

19-Jul-15
OG, I know I saw one (tipi) for sale recently. Maybe it was craigslist.

19-Jul-15
Every first time elk Hunter from the Midwest or east should read your post. Great perspectives.

Everybody wants to be Cam Hanes. Romantic wilderness bivy hunt, all that. Then they get here, pack in a few miles, and reality hits (ruggedness, altitude, weather, size of elk, etc). If all goes well they end up having a pleasant camping trip with daily walkabouts with bow in hand.

Worst case, they get altitude sickness, borderline hypothermia and dehydration, then have an 800 lb elk on the side of a steep, deadfall mountain two miles from camp and six miles from the truck.

Glad you had a great, safe family outing!

20-Jul-15
lou Most dont make it a few miles from the truck!

20-Jul-15
What Jaquomo says......the so called hike in and bivy "wilderness" hunt is WAY, WAY, WAY overrated unless you know where you are going. You would be far better served to stay mobile and camp on or very near a good roads. Don't hunt unless you are in steaming sign and a lot of it.

20-Jul-15
I am glad that you had the chance to go exploring. It is a lot of fun, and you got to learn a few lessons in warm weather. Keep in mind that September can bring hot weather, cold weather, dry, rainy or snowy conditions and everything in between.

No cotton undergarments! That is one of my cardinal rules for hiking in the mountains...

20-Jul-15
Cool post.

I second the no cotton, and also no fancy synthetics either, like UA etc.

My wife and I real world tested it recently in Utah. . .

She was wearing UA "dry-fit" shirt and pants. Workout clothes

I was wearing a pair of Old Navy khaki shorts (I don't know what they're made of, but I'm interested now), and an Icebreaker Merino wool t-shirt.

We were riding a ski lift and got rained on. Soaked.

We were equally miserable in the rain. But once the rain stopped I was definitely way more comfortable. We went back to the condo, and you could squeeze water out of her UA clothes. She threw them in the dryer.

My shorts and my merino shirt were dry before her clothes got out of the dryer. I didn't even change.

20-Jul-15
Nylon fibers can soak up water almost as bad a cotton. The type of weave on Polyester can hold water but the fibers themselves don't readily absorb as easily. You can treat fabrics to be hydrophobic which helps. I wouldn't treat wool though, it's not bad even when damp. If you have to rely on one garment for several days in a row make it wool.

• Sitka Gear