LINK 21-Jul-15
Cheesehead Mike 21-Jul-15
PAbowhunter 21-Jul-15
Z Barebow 21-Jul-15
PAbowhunter 21-Jul-15
Topgun 30-06 21-Jul-15
txhunter58 21-Jul-15
19-Jul-15
I'll be bow hunting elk this Sept in Wy. If I get one I'm thinking about just putting it in coolers and icing the meat down and having it processed when I get back home. How long can you keep the meat on ice?

19-Jul-15
I transport bone-in elk quarters, wrapped up like a big burrito, in an old double sleeping bag with a half-dozen small blocks of dry ice on top of it, for two days.

Been doing it for many years now. When I get home, the dry ice is nearly gone, but the quarters on top are cold, and the ones on the bottom are nearly frozen. I have had no spoilage in over 15 years.

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Jul-15
I age my deer and elk in a 168 qt cooler under the house, with meat laying on top of 2 ice blocks with a small stand to keep te meat off the ice. This is done after driving back from out of state with the meat on ice.

I do this for 7-10 days and have done in 4-5 times. The meat, if cleaned of all grass/dirt, will last just fine in a cooler on ice.

Consider taking it to a drive in car wash and hosing it off with the high pressure washer, then hanging it in the shade for an hour to fry before putting it back on ice.

19-Jul-15
Jeff, You stole my response. I always have one cooler full of dry ice and some old sleeping bags to wrap it all up in. I make sure to take take extra precautions with the loin and the backstraps.

Mike

19-Jul-15
How long on ice?

Several days, I've gone up to two weeks.

Chances are you'll have to add more ice a time or two, though. The first chunks will melt fairly quickly. Once the meat has chilled it may last a few days. Keeping the stopper open, and water out of the cooler helps.

So does trying to keep the coolers out of the shade as much as possible.

Have fun!

19-Jul-15
Always cool the meat before putting it in coolers. Putting hot meat into a closed cooler is a bad idea because the heat doesn't have anywhere to escape to. It's best to hang over night, let it cool and develop a dry skin on the outside. Use the coolers or sleeping bag method for the drive home.

Don't take the meat to a car wash to pressure wash it either. If the meat is dirty then rinse with bottles of water when it's still fresh. If you can't do this then leave the dirt, grass, sticks on it. Trim that stuff off when it's processed. Spraying it with high pressure water will spread that stuff everywhere!

19-Jul-15
bring salt, its great.

20-Jul-15
I think a lot of carwashes these day recycle there water. So definitely would be a bad idea.

20-Jul-15

20-Jul-15
Ice no problem for what you are doing. Just make sure to check on it and replenish when needed.

If it's really warm outside get it in as soon as possible.

We've killed and eaten hundreds of animals. Never have had a bad one rushing to get it on ice.

You can also use dry ice but it's a bit of a pain if you haven't already butchered. You have to thaw once you get home and then butcher. Not a big deal but just an extra step that takes time. Obviously if you are flying this is the only way to go.

Good luck!

20-Jul-15
Using a large cooler:

Using dry ice to freeze the meat do the following: Place the cooled-down meat in the cooler and place dry ice, (rapped up in a paper bag), on top of the meat. This action will freeze the meat.

Using dry ice to just keep the meat very cool: Place bagged up dry ice in the bottom of the cooler and cover it completely with normal ice. The dry ice will keep the normal ice frozen. Then place the meat on top of the layer of normal ice. The meat will not freeze but will remain very cool.

My best, Paul

20-Jul-15
I'm not optimistic. I don't plan on killed the biggest, oldest bull on the mountain.

But I do hope to kill a raghorn or a cow. For bone-in quarters, how big of a cooler do I need?

20-Jul-15
I'm not optimistic. I don't plan on killed the biggest, oldest bull on the mountain.

But I do hope to kill a raghorn or a cow. For bone-in quarters, how big of a cooler do I need?

20-Jul-15
good coolers can set a guy back i use a frezzer box serves many purpose when dont hunting ,small gen will run them or frezze water jugs for the ride home .

20-Jul-15
150 qt cooler as a minimum for a boned out small elk.

A 175-200 qt for one larger if boned out and not "bone-in" as you stated. plus ice

A 200 qt cool might be able to handle a bone in elk meat and quarters. with ice

Or two coolers might also work.

Other's experiences????????????????

My best, Paul

20-Jul-15
Paul is right on. The meat weighs about what water does - which is 2lbs per quart.

So a 150 quart cooler should hold 300lbs. A large bull will yield about 250lbs. But that's the trimmed up and packaged weight and doesn't include ice. A 150 quart cooler would be the absolute minimum that you can get to work for an adult elk.

20-Jul-15

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Whenever I read about coolers, I always chuckle. I can't see spending buku bucks on a 2" thick cooler that you might use a few weeks out of the year. The other 50 weeks out of the years I have to store some big behemouth.

I build my own cooler to fit in the back of my pickup box. I leave the panels disassembled and put them together as needed. (When I kill). I put the meat in an old sleeping bag inside the cooler w/dry ice and I travel home. Last bull I killed, when I opened my cooler, it was comparable to opening a chest freezer.

I cut 2" foam panels that I pick up at Lowes or Menards and cut it on my table saw.

Here are a few pics.

20-Jul-15

And another.

20-Jul-15

And what it looks like when I got home.

20-Jul-15
Two, 120 qt coolers from Walmart will hold a bone in bull provided you take them apart at the knees. One will work as a dry box on your way to the hunt, the other just takes up space. At about $50 each you could buy on location but I tend to keep mine.

I use gas station bag ice in the cooler. The inside temp will stabilize after two days and the ice will remain for a good while at that point. I leave the quarters in the cooler till I cut up the meat. There are a bazillion different ways to go about it. Over time you'll decide on a favorite.

20-Jul-15
"I think a lot of carwashes these day recycle there water. So definitely would be a bad idea."

Maybe in Southern California...

You honestly think that small mountain communities use recycled water at a DIY car wash in the Rockies? With all the extra street plumbing required?

And then not post that it's recycled water?

I seriously doubt it.

20-Jul-15
I used a 120 and a 150qt cooler with bone in with dry ice on top as Paul stated. Plenty of room and the meat was almost frozen when I got home.

20-Jul-15
Shoot i have a bunch of those extra cold Igloo coolers i bought at Walmart in the off season for $22. The latches aren't as good as the Yeti's for sure...

But 5 coolers for $119 is the way to go IMO

The meat gets pretty cold from hanging in the high mtn shade- then covered with a sleeping bag or even just a tarp in the daytime.

We use dry ice on the way home and it doesn't take much since we put the already cold meat in the cooler.....you don't want the meat sitting in water from regular ice, IMO.

20-Jul-15
Two weeks here as well. Drain off bloody water every other day. Take a blanket and keep the coolers covered and in the shade. Air cool meet before putting on ice.

20-Jul-15
2 150 qt coolers or a small trailer with a gen and small chest freezer. when i use coolers i use 2 so that I can get more ice than meat. and you want to pack ice between quarters. leave plug open to allow drainage. an place a lay of ice on the bottom. besides cooling down the meat you have to cool down the coolers before they are efficient at cooling.

20-Jul-15
If you put a couple "paint grates" (The kind used for painting with a roller out of a 5 gallon bucket) on the bottom of your cooler before you put the meat in then it will keep the meat off the bottom and make draining the meat easier. I have both transported and aged elk for 10+ days in coolers this way. Like guys have said, if you can get it cooled over night first, it doesn't really take that much ice. If its really hot and you are afraid to let it air overnight, just be sure you use enough ice to get it chilled completely through initially.

Of course if you look up in front of you and see a White Tacoma with Kansas plates and two coolers on the back of the tail gate you'll know why the water droplets on your windshield look a little pink. :)

21-Jul-15
I once put my meat on a tarp in the back of my JD gator and covered meat in ice. Made the ten hour drive at night and the meat was ice cold when I dropped it off at the processor with very little ice melt.

21-Jul-15
I'm always looking for a cheaper way of doing things and I like Z Barebow's homemade cooler... but I already have a couple big coolers. I have a 150 qt and a 120 qt cooler.

I make my own ice blocks by freezing mutiple 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon gatorade and juice jugs filled with water. Sometimes I also make a huge block of ice by freezing a 5-gallon jug of water.

I pack the 150 quart cooler with as many frozen jugs as I can fit and then buy cubed ice and pour into the cooler to fill all the air voids. I then put a nylon strap around the cooler to make sure it stays shut and I don't open it until I get meat.

The 120 qt. cooler is used for dry storage.

When I get an elk, I divide the meat and ice between the 2 coolers. Ice has kept for 2-weeks when I do it this way.

21-Jul-15
z Barebow, it looks like you're butchering in the field?

21-Jul-15
PA- Yes I do. I have not yet had the misfortune of killing one late in the hunt and not having time.

I bring all of the supplies needed. They don't take up much room. A couple of pointers. Bring a camp chair. (You need to get off of your feet, but you likely have one of those already. Set up in the shade and you will minimize flies and it is cooler to process meat. (On the elk in the pics, I would move at least twice a day)

I hang the meat overnight. Once the sun starts heating up, I drop the meat and cover with old sleeping bag. (To retain overnight cooling). If I am not done by the end of day, I will hang the remaining meat again overnight to cool again. (I had frost one morning)

It takes at least a day to break one down. But if I am solo, I have nothing but time! (Why would I want to rush home and leave elk country so soon!) I will bag up the trim meat in gallon freezer bags, as grinding and sausage making is a winter time project.

I do bring a small cooler along (68 Quart) which I use for dry storage and I can also store ice jugs in it.

Keep in mind with my meat cooler, I leave the panels disassembled and assemble them when needed (kill/meat). If I do not kill, they stay flat in the back of the truck.

21-Jul-15
Very cool, Z. I've eaten tag soup twice, but looking forward to fresh tenderloin one of these years!

21-Jul-15
Must get awful cold sleeping in that bag with that meat and dry ice, LOL! That's a good, economical way to get the job doe---good thinking!

21-Jul-15
As stated in several places, let the body temp cool from the meat before sealing in any kind of ice chest. Once chilled, it keeps fine for days on ice as long as it is not sitting in water.

Anytime I have actually frozen unprocessed meat on the way home, it ends up being "mushy" in texture when I eat it, so I try and keep just above freezing. If I use dry ice I insulate the meat from it to keep it from freezing.

• Sitka Gear