ki-ke 21-Jul-15
welka 21-Jul-15
MaBow 22-Jul-15
Cheesehead Mike 22-Jul-15
HuntEasy 22-Jul-15
Poison Arrow 22-Jul-15
thomas 22-Jul-15
20-Jul-15
Getting ready for a NM Elk Hunt end of Aug to Middle of Sept. It can be hot, wet, dry, flooding, cold etc. Pretty much better be ready for any and all of it...

My questions relate to gear.

My buddy has a SAT phone. Not sure the brand but do they work the same? There will be no cell service.

For our tent, we have a large coleman 4 person tent with fly (it's just two of us). We will use air mattresses to get off the ground and tarps for canopy's and covers. If anyone has better ideas please let me know. We will be using horses so we can come in heavier than back pack.

Water filtration - we will use a gravity bag, we will have a water source close to camp.

Goal zero laterns, solar chargers for DSLR and devices, KUIU 5200 pack plus Tenzing day pack. 9 arrows, 6 with broadheads, 3 with field points.

Food - Since we are coming in with horse, we will prepare meals and freeze them, speghetti, lansagana, etc, so all we have to do it warm them up. Not sure how long our ice will last and no, we dont have YETTI's (but not due to lack of interest). We plan to eat good for the first week then switch over to Mountain house for the 2nd. Hopefully elk steaks in between. Sandwiches for lunch, oatmeal etc for breakfast.

Not bringing the spotter (let me know if this is a mistake), as the 10x42's should be good enough. The only thing is without the spotter, no phone skoping but hopefully the DSLR will be good enough.

lightweight camp chairs and table, propane stove and jetboil, fist aid kit, 45 handgun, possible bear tag etc. Do you have to hang your food? Will the bears be an issue at our camp while hunting during the day?

Rain Gear, quality knives, bow sling, two triggers, (putting new string loop on in Aug, ) range finder. etc.

20-Jul-15
I'm going to NM #15 early season so I'm going to be watching this thread.

How is the cell service for Verizon in #15?

20-Jul-15
Do you need game processing equip or will horse provider provide?

If you are providing, you'll need: game bags (suggest TAG bags), and a bone saw. Also paracord for manipulating elk, making meat pole, and hanging game bags. I like to bring citric acid and spray bottle to help protect the meat from spoiling. Also a small tarp to hang over the meat pole to protect the meat from rain.

I would also bring a small water filter to bring with you each day. Then you can refill your water containers during the day. I use a Katydyne Hiker pro. Also might want a water bladder to allow easier drinking while hiking.

20-Jul-15
My take; Sat phone- Iridium better than Globalstar, try your cell on some of the mtn peaks- you might be surprised.

Not the best tent but with extra tarps you should be fine

Air matts- they really should be insulated

Bears; I've hunted all over NM and never had a bear problem at camp- but have heard of few, best to hang your food

hunt; just keep moving until you get into fresh sign or bugling. Be out 1 hr before light...and back after dark

I do the horse thing- walk them in with packsaddles- but we travel light so its easy to move until we get into the elk and have more room to pack meat out.

20-Jul-15

Beendare's embedded Photo
Try this pic again

20-Jul-15
45MM handgun...? Do you tow it behind your truck? ;^)

Sometimes air mattresses can be cold to sleep on due to the air getting cold.

I've never had any problems with bears but a friend had their spike camp in NM raided by a bear last year while they were hunting and they had to pack out to get more food (I think it was over 12 miles round-trip)and lost over a day of hunting.

20-Jul-15
Elkstabber - I have found that Verizon service is the best in 15

20-Jul-15
Only thick air mattresses get cold. The thin backpacking type do not. If you're using thick mattresses, it's good to have a back packing mattress or thick blanket on top of a thick air mattress.

You're going to get wet. I'm a huge proponent of tarping the entire tent, whether it be base camp or bivvy. Bring an extra 8x10 foot tarp.

20-Jul-15
I dont think cold will be an issue early sept "IF" we STAY dry... I've got a good Big Agnes bag, with pad that can be inserted into the bag, for more insulation from the air mattress. I do want to build a tarp canopy just outside the tent for gear and boots etc, table chairs.

Bone saw and paracord are good ones. Small water pump is also a good idea.

20-Jul-15
Thanks Brijake! That's a money saver if I can use my phone.

Looks like the weather will be 70 by day and 50 or so at night. Can't wait !!!

20-Jul-15
Are you hunting in one of the Gila units? If so I don't think the cold weather will be any issue but be prepared for rain everyday possibly. I would suggest the best raingear you can afford. We held ice for two weeks almost there in the middle of sept. Kept coolers in the shade and put tarps over them. I wouldn't worry about the bears and def wouldn't carry a handgun while hunting just due to the weight. I don't think you would need a spotter anywhere in the Gila, really. I could be wrong but not where we were. Small pair of binos. I didn't have a satellite phone and we didn't have reception for almost two weeks and I must say it was wonderful not having to talk with anyone!

20-Jul-15

Hotwire is nice....

20-Jul-15

And though NM isn't as bad as Co with beetle kill...

20-Jul-15

You might want to bring a bigger saw [chainsaw if not in wilderness]...if you are not sure what condition the trails are in with downed timber- this one was bad

20-Jul-15
Whoops! I rechecked the weather and it looks like probably 90 for a high and 60s at night. Whew! That's gonna be warm!

20-Jul-15
When making a sat phone call get everything out as soon as you here hello. Usually get about 10 to 15 seconds before disconnect depending on trees and where the satellites are at the moment.

If you have 9 arrows take 9 broadheads.

20-Jul-15
It helps to rehearse before you make the call. Walk backward around the camp counter clockwise rehearsing what you will say when they answer.

20-Jul-15
Helps if you can talk like an auctioneer.

20-Jul-15
I would eat a good meal 1 night and a MH the next night. A solid week of MH can do things to a man in the wilderness.

20-Jul-15
Take more arrows......ammo is cheap:)

Mark

20-Jul-15
OkieJ - I was worried my ice wouldnt keep for longer than a week but we can just see how it holds up but I see your point about mixing things up.

Jason Scott - I'll be practicing my sat phone calls.

What you guys think about a bow sling? Never used one? Any rec's?

20-Jul-15
9 arrows?? you only need one Hunt... lol.

20-Jul-15
Definitely have a bow sling. I cut my bow sling in half and used Velcro to put it back together so when I'm on a horse if something goes wrong the sling will pull apart, I carry it on my shoulder, I like it better than my bow scabbard. Been using it on horseback for over 10 years. When your hiking up steep canyons on foot it is worth it's weight in gold !

20-Jul-15
Arrows are light. Bring a bunch just in case. I had a buddy lose 4 out of his bow quiver on one hunt. I usually bring some Judo points to practice with during the hunt. Sometimes bring a small target too.

21-Jul-15
Recommend you bring something to read. If it rains like it has when I have hunted NM you will be spending much of the day inside. Something funny by Patrick Mcmanus or Lewis Grizzard is great to read.

21-Jul-15
Maybe you just didn't list it but...

GPS with extra batteries Map and compass

First aid kit (search bowsite for discussions)

Survival kit to always have with you (again a search will give a wide range of possibilities but should at least include good way to start a fire)

21-Jul-15
I got an Garmin Oregon and unit Map that will included in this one.

Will do some homework on first aid kits etc.

21-Jul-15
Tony

When we hunt in B, we do you will and cooked and froze meals. We packed them in insulated, collapsible freezer bags, kept them in the shade and they kept frozen for more than a week. Ice chest in the shade kept 1/2 frozen for 9 days in the shade back at the trailhead. I hate carrying a gun and never wished for one in all my years in the Gila.

Air mattresses seem like a bit much to carry. Your BA over another thermarest or similar would be plenty. No need to carry a compressor and batteries, either.

Iridium for sure. Great service in Gila. No experience with global star.

Wish I was going with you!!

21-Jul-15
Make sure you get snake gators and wear them all the time. In certain sections around the Gila, you will run into Mojave rattlers and won't survive if they strike your leg. They are hot to wear, but a must.

22-Jul-15
I would bring more then 6 broadheads.

22-Jul-15
I agree on the arrows and broadheads... having too many is not nearly as bad as running out...

22-Jul-15
You guys got me convinced about the BH's, I'll bring a 9 pack which should cover it and to answer your question Jeff, yes, we only need 2, one for me and one for dad to total 800" of bone, ha!

22-Jul-15
Why a Sat phone? I have a DeLorme Inreach and it works great. If you want to use a decoy check out my product. http://www.poisonarrowgear.com/

22-Jul-15
I stepped on a rattler there in the Gila when I was there. Im not sure which kind he was. he was only about a 1ft long though.

• Sitka Gear