standswittaknife 20-Jul-15
one_elk 21-Jul-15
ELKDIY 21-Jul-15
Backpack Hunter 21-Jul-15
huntingbob 22-Jul-15
kota-man 22-Jul-15
Lost Arra 22-Jul-15
20-Jul-15
Does anyone have any experience with these packs? Specifically the Exo 5500. I was just looking for some feedback from guys that have had one on their backs. Looking for a new pack and I'm debating between an Exo or a Kifaru.

20-Jul-15
I just purchased the XO 5500 and Can't say enough good about it. I have no experience w Kifaru but it seems that they have set the bar and Exo is competing.. Great pack but order soon if you think you'll get it by elk season..

21-Jul-15
I have the EXO 3500 and am very pleased with it. Had a Kifaru pack and I just couldn't get it to fit correctly. I have a long torso and relatively shorter legs and my Kifaru pack just seemed to ride low on my back....my .02

21-Jul-15
IMO Kotaman nailed it with his review here on Bowsite.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=438748&forum=2

I used the 3500 EXO for hauling out two elk last fall. It did the job. Great pack. Fit well and balanced the load well.

I sold it and picked up the new Kifaru Mt. Warrior with a Duplex Frame. Hauled my bear just last month and I may never look back to another pack. The Kifaru just fit perfectly. No weight on my shoulders. Very solid and versatile.

IMO both companies make a great pack and you can't go wrong.

21-Jul-15
If the choice is between those two I would lean towards Kifaru. Great track record for a much longer time, quality products made in the USA, good customer service, and the product flat out works well.

22-Jul-15
If you are looking to buy a new pack it is a really good time! Kifaru has just released a new pack Frame! Go to the web site. Watch the video. I talked to someone close to them and he says it is really good. I am waiting for the new Mega tarp before I change out the frame on my pack. I have both frames they have been selling and like both. The new one sounds like a good improvement.

22-Jul-15
Since my review above, I put in a little more time with the EXO. The EXO is a very nice, well thought out pack, but it is NOT a Kifaru. Not even close in any regard really.

A pack does need to fit you well, but with today's offerings, a guy should be able to make any pack fit well.

My mountain pack of choice continues to be a Kifaru Mountain Warrior with a modified bikini frame. It will carry all the weight I can carry comfortably and goes down to nothing in daypack mode.

The new Kifaru frames have "peaked" my interest but my current setup is dialed in so I'm not going to mess with it.

If you want a pack for a lifetime, buy once, cry once and get the Kifaru. If you want a more economical pack that will get the job done get the EXO.

22-Jul-15
I've owned/own both brands (plus MR). I've even hunted elk successfully with an inexpensive Camelbak pack. Elk hunting is an enjoyable hobby for me, not a spec ops mission so I don't fret about 100# load ratings. I just make another trip if I kill an elk.

I've bought and sold 4 Kifaru packs, all G1-G1+. All were relatively light and comfortable. What they lacked was the minimal organization I preferred. Organization could be added by attaching $50 bills (pouches and pockets) to the outside which resulted in a heavier pack and more straps. I also did not shoot my longbow well with the duplex frame but that may just be me. I do think things have improved regarding organization features at Kifaru but I've moved on. (But I'll never sell my Scout.)

The Exo provides some nice out-of-the-box organization features without being gimmicky. Easy to set up. Comfortable, more so once I swapped out the belt to the right size. It came in the pack size I wanted, ~3000 cu in with elk quarter capability. I see the Exo as a Late Season with a few extra organization features and a load shelf. Long-term durability? Don't know but it should out last me.

Both Kifaru and Exo will get the job done. It may just come down to nit-picking the features you prefer.

• Sitka Gear