wyobullshooter 21-Jul-15
WFG in NM 21-Jul-15
BowCrossSkin 21-Jul-15
drycreek 21-Jul-15
wyobullshooter 21-Jul-15
2xLung 22-Jul-15
moleshaver 23-Jul-15
21-Jul-15
On Independence Day my wife and I hiked above tree line scouting. On the hike up, I came across two fresh rubs on 8' tall pine trees. The tops were green, green needles on the ground and fresh sap on the trees. They weren't bear scrapes as far as I could tell and looked like your standard rub. Anyone have any thoughts why an elk or deer would be rubbing in early July? Thanks!

21-Jul-15
You sure it wasn't a porcupine chew?

Got a picture?

21-Jul-15
I would be very surprised if any elk or deer rub in early July, but I learn something new on this website all the time!

21-Jul-15
porky

21-Jul-15
Maybe he had an itch?

Yep, agree it was most likely a porcupine. On the 4th of Jul, the antlers still have another month and a half of growing to do. At this point, they're soft and blood-rich. Bulls avoid banging them around until they start hardening and the velvet starts drying. Mid August? Yes. First part of Jul? Nothing's impossible, but this would be extremely unlikely unless he's got hormonal issues! ;-)

21-Jul-15
I have seen fresh rubs in NM around the middle of July. Most of the bulls I watch here are done growing by the end of July.

--Bill

21-Jul-15
Ive been seeing the same thing, they could be rubs from this spring when they were trying to shed.

Around where i was shed hunting, 10k-11k, I found 8 beds in the snow with larger pine trees, 4"-8" diameter, newly scraped. It warmed up in march and the beginning of april they wanted them antlers off!! Then it snowed the rest of april and into may. A lot of elk and deer were moving up above tree line scraping under the snow for food and still had head gear. I watched some bulls moving through some small aspen saplings eating a little and then one tree got a thrashing at 10.800. Ive still been hiking and finding an occasional bone here and there. I'm also noticing, spring rubs, small and large pines trees seeping sap with the warmer weather in June/ July. I have seen some very low rubs and I think that would be a porcupine, because they started 2" off the ground. Thats my theory, but i could be wrong?

21-Jul-15
I don't know Wyobull, when I was in my prime, I rubbed all year long . At least, that's how I remember it !

21-Jul-15
Yep, we definitely need September to hurry and get here! lol!

22-Jul-15
You boys need archery season to start. I didn't get a picture. Porky may make sense, but these were at eye level and I'm 6'5". Thanks for the thoughts. I'll chalk this one up to "not sure what did that". I'm in agreement an elk or deer wouldn't be rubbing this early. Sasquatch?

23-Jul-15
I've saw people mark trees with their knives to help them find their way back. Old trick that was used a lot before Bright Eyes came along.

• Sitka Gear