MT 23-Jul-15
Paul@thefort 24-Jul-15
montanaelk31 24-Jul-15
TD 24-Jul-15
Saxton 24-Jul-15
rgwaldron 10-Aug-15
Cheesehead Mike 10-Aug-15
22-Jul-15
I'm just learning bugle. Right now, I sound a bit like a cat being run over by a truck.

I found a few youtube videos to help get started. Do folks have any favorite tools to help learn? How about a CD to help learn in my truck?

I assume some diaphragms are easier than others. What would folks recommend?

22-Jul-15
1). Find one that fits comfortably in your mouth.

2). Regardless of which brand/ style you choose, get a single reed. It's the easiest to use. Once you become proficient with it, you can then experiment with double and/or triple reeds

3). Most beginners make the mistake of blowing too hard at the beginning of the bugle. Start out with light air pressure, THEN increase as you progress to the highest note, then once again lighten the air pressure. Too much at the beginning forces the reed to the top of the pallet, thereby inhibiting its ability to vibrate.

22-Jul-15
For starters, I would avoid the triple reeds. Tougher to learn on IMHO.

In the KISS category, I would throw the Mellow Yellow or Primos Ivory Palate. You won't sound like the baddest bull, but you will like a bull.

But everyone is different. You might need to try a few before you find one you like.

As far as CD's, I know ELKNUT has one, but I don't have it. I think Primos has one also. Once you handle the basics, I like ELKNUTS "Sounds of the Elk" as he has actual recordings and you can work on imitating those sounds (Once you don't sound like a dying cat!)

22-Jul-15
I suggest the Primos Palate Plate single reed for beginners...the Ivory one. The black single reed they make is not so great.

It's so incredibly easy to use it seems unlikely to me that anybody would have trouble with it. Sounds really good too.

22-Jul-15
I learned on a bugling bull game call, and have used them ever since. The brown and yellow ones are my favorite. I have to trim most any call i buy, so dont be scared to take a sharp pair of scissors to it if needed.

22-Jul-15
stick with a single latex reed with lite latex in it. like the Pink Lady or the Domed Black Widow reed from Wapiti River Outdoors.

The most important thing with reeds is to get the correct reed that fits your pallet and most call manufactures have a couple sizes so you can try a couple different reeds and get the one that fits you best.

Hope that helps. Try a few of the new call manufactures out there like Phelps game calls, Glacier country hunting calls and Wapiti River Outdoors. They all have sizes that will fit your needs and they are all great to talk to so it might be best to call and talk with them. They all also have websites if you search for them they are easy to find.

23-Jul-15
I have a narrow palate and have had difficulty learning to use a diaphragm call. The Primos sonic dome minis are too small. Same with the Quaker Boy mini calls. Just about a week ago I found the HS Strut narrow frame turkey call. It has a large area of "tape", but a narrow aluminum frame. Fits me perfectly. Good luck.

24-Jul-15
MT, the turkey diaphragms may use thinner reeds than the elk diaphragms, and may blow out under more pressure with loud elk sounds.

They might work for a while but do not seem to last as long as a diaphragm made for elk calling.

At least that was my experience years ago.

my best, Paul

24-Jul-15
Bugling bull pink lady or rockstar. Practice in your car to and from work. Watch Steve chappelle's videos on YouTube. Good luck!

24-Jul-15
First of all call it a reed.... TSA has issues with the words "diaphragm" and "grunt tube" as well..... curious lil buggers...

24-Jul-15
I am a newbe also. GOing on my first elk hunt this coming Sept. I bought a Pack-a bull Bugler from Bugling Bull and practically had it down with in minutes out of the package.

Check them out. Their web sight even has a video on how to use the call.

10-Aug-15
ELknut (http://www.elknut.com/) also has quite a few youtube videos. just search for elknut on youtube.

I also like Chris Roe of Roe Hunting Resources(http://www.roehuntingresources.com/). I don't think he teaches how to use mouth diaphragms, but when the different sounds are appropriate. It's a pay site, but you can watch some of his videos on youtube as well. it will give you a chance to decide if you want to subscribe.

10-Aug-15
My favorites are the Primos Ivory (white) and Imperial (red) palate plates.

Any reed with a plastic dome will absolutely not work for me.

So you might have to try a few different reeds in different styles before you find what works.

• Sitka Gear