cityhunter 28-Jul-15
midwest 28-Jul-15
Coyote 65 26-Sep-15
23-Jul-15
Kinda large. Congrats to him.

23-Jul-15
What Broadhead did he use???

23-Jul-15
Assuming it is the guy on the left, he kinda resembles Chase Fulcher....anybody know his name? Since it is still completely in velvet, it is amazing to consider that bull might have still grown even more...impressive!! This was an archery kill, right?

23-Jul-15
Love the group photo:) Congrats to the hunter.

23-Jul-15
Add in what Unit when you get a chance to answer all the other questions!

23-Jul-15
Good year for antler growth. Saw a herd of 6 spikes last evening with the largest having 3 foot long tines. Largest I have ever seen.

Terry 23 north

23-Jul-15
Amazing animal. Anyone know roughly what that tag cost? Congrats to the hunter.

23-Jul-15
I doubt it was archery. Remember the tag goes 365 days starting Aug 1st I think, so his season was almost over.

I do wonder if it had much growth left.

23-Jul-15
Wow, he bought one heck of a bull! Congrats to the "hunter"!

23-Jul-15
Amazing bull. Congrats to the hunting party.

23-Jul-15
Beautiful bull, love those up-swept fronts.

By the looks of the tips (pointy), I'd guess the antlers were 99% done growing....maybe an inch to go on the 4ths and 5ths?

23-Jul-15
Great bull.

Midwest, two buddies of mine have bought quite a few auction tags and have put more time in the field, with guides, than most of us on Bowsite as they tried to fill those tags on special animals. Several times they've ended the season empty-handed rather than take a bull or ram that's not above their high standards for the permit.

Hope the state puts all of that money to good use!

Things bode well for those with AZ permits this year. Meat pole should get interesting.

23-Jul-15
land of giants! awesome bull.

23-Jul-15
I'd settle for a 60 yard frontal shot with a 2" Rage about now...

23-Jul-15
Sweetness...

23-Jul-15
writer, I'm not any kind of a wealth envy guy, just the "team" hunting thing kind of sticks in my craw.

23-Jul-15
Genesis- only if you take the shot off the top of a four-wheeler.

23-Jul-15
Congrats to the shooter! One heck of an animal! Thank you for your donation to AZ F&G!

23-Jul-15
Beautiful elk, congrats! Why does one ask what BH was used ? Any quality sharp head in the right spot will kill.

23-Jul-15
No doubt it's an awesome bull. Beyond that, my feelings are the same as Nick's.

23-Jul-15
Cool that it only took a team of four plus the shooter to get that bull. Maybe if they'd had six or seven on the team they'd have killed one even bigger!!

Congrats to the shooter and thanks to him for ponying up that kind of scratch for the program.

;-P

LBshooter, I think you missed the sarcasm in Genesis's post.

23-Jul-15
Holy smokes, that thing sure looks impressive in Velvet! What a great Trophy!

It would be pretty cool to "shop around" for a bull like that all Year before sealing the deal on it!

Best of Luck, Jeff

23-Jul-15
Tonight, a lucky raffle winner's name will get pulled for that same tag.

http://www.azgfd.gov/video/LiveStreamingVideo.shtml

23-Jul-15
Greg, I'm pretty sure that lucky raffle winner will be me! My posse will just be my dad and I'll probably be happy with a 350" bull, though.

23-Jul-15
yowzers! big bull!!

23-Jul-15
Jim, fine with me....I'm banking on the sheep tag ;-)

23-Jul-15
Usually there is a BIG difference between the raffle tag winner and the Governor tag BUYer. Definitely congrats to the SHOOTER/ Philantropist.

At least it LOOKS like they didn't gun it down out of the backyard of the golf course like a few years ago. That really screwed up my Garth Carter "poor" unit...

23-Jul-15
WOW- what a unique trophy! I wonder if he will get it mounted with the velvet ON? I would- it really looks cool and would be very unique!

I am going to focus on the majestic animal rather than the hunter. These Governor tags do a lot of good. I have no ill will towards anyone that has the means to acquire one of these tags and support conservation. More power to 'em! ;-)

23-Jul-15
Rut Nut, I agree. Our state agencies can use the funds.

23-Jul-15
this one was destined to get a bit testy from the git go

23-Jul-15
Wow, sign of things to come. I hope!

23-Jul-15
Love those big 400 plus AZ bulls. Arizona is definitely not over-rated in any shape or form......

Congrats to the hunter and welcome to the club!

WillPower400

23-Jul-15
Raffle and auction two different things. Curious as to the totals received by the agency between the raffle and the auction. In my heart I hope the raffle made more....

Congrats to the hunter. Heck of a bull.

Admit a touch of envy about the money in a moment of weakness.... have to fight that off, as it's not right.

No envy what so ever WRT the hunting methods involved. If that's how they want to go about it then it is what it is.... doubt they care much what I think of it.

23-Jul-15
I was at the raffle tonight. They said that the proceeds had broke a new record. Don't want to mis-quite but it was in the several millions. Basically anyone can win this hunt with a $20 or $25 raffle ticket. Allows you to hunt all year long in most areas (excluding the reservations). I was really hoping they would pull my name tonight but no luck!

24-Jul-15
This thread should be nothing but positive. All of this is good news for all of us.

24-Jul-15
Great bull! I don't have any issues with the guides/spotters, if it made him happy

24-Jul-15
Ya can't hardly harvest a velvet bull with out a special opportunity.

They do look kinda cool---

Thanks for sharing AAA

Good luck, Robb

24-Jul-15
I can see plenty negative in someone paying a couple hundred k's then hiring a hunting party to tie a bull up for them. I understand what that money means to the wildlife department but it also puts a bad light on hunting when many all ready have a negative view. I bet you could give Arizona another million and they would still need more. These tags should go to raffle and not auction imo.

24-Jul-15
Sweet! Good for him and his crew.

24-Jul-15
When they went to auction, our Kansas elk permits have gone from $8,000 to $23,000.

The one time it went to raffle, it raised a total of $1,660, and that was from the state RMEF having the permit to sell.

Most people who are against hunting don't care how a permit was gotten.

Interesting that it's "team hunting" when someone hires guides, but it's different when someone draws a sheep tag and all of his buddies come, and guys on Bowsite tell him what they've seen in that hunt through the summer.

The reason I don't buy auction tags is because I don't have the money.

The reason I don't have the money is because of choices I made in life.

One of my best friends buys auction permits from his 100-percent self-made wealth. I encourage him to buy many more. He gets great hunts, a tax write-off, and conservation for that species gets a major influx of money.

The things auction permits have done for bighorn sheep are pretty impressive.

(I'd rather shoot the elk.)

24-Jul-15
Well said writer.

Nothing lights up the board like a huge trophy, taken on a guided hunt, by a potentially wealthy hunter. Even when few facts are known about the hunt or the hunter. The response is predictable. The only thing keeping this one from going totally berserk, is the absence of a Mossback decal on the team picture.

At least this pavlovian envy response, and persistent denial of same, is entertaining to watch as it unfolds.

Congrats again to the hunter. A link to any hunt story and/or more pics would be great to see.

24-Jul-15
It's simpler than that.....This is BOWsite with outfitters who pay for advertising.

The above is not....

24-Jul-15
In AZ there are 3 of these special tags for elk. I know that one is auctioned by the Arizona Elk Society. Another is raffled off by the Arizona Big Game Super Raffle. Does anyone know for a fact what happens to the other tag? I suspect that RMEF Arizona auctions it somewhere but not sure. Does anyone know for a fact?

24-Jul-15

Ed's embedded Photo
Ed's embedded Photo
Heat, you are correct the other auction tag goes to RMEF The AZ Big Game Super Raffle Raised Almost $600,000 this year. $142,325 of that was for elk. Attached is a List of the 2014 Auction tags.

24-Jul-15
There is no logo in the above pictures so the advertising allegation is baseless.

If you are not interested in a 436" typical elk it is quite simple to not click on the thread after the first time you do so.

Many of us have a high level of interest in how the elk antler growth is this year. For those that don't, just don't look.

24-Jul-15
"There is no logo in the above pictures so the advertising allegation is baseless."

Only two logos on the photo so maybe I over reacted! Or maybe someone needs to swap some work out with me..:)

24-Jul-15
that's a beauty congrats to all involved especially the shooter.

24-Jul-15
The pic I was emailed was identical but did not have the logos and I did not look closely at this one. Sorry. HF association is really a bad omen. My mistake.

24-Jul-15
"" Since there was an apology.

Nice bull btw, but if indeed it was a rifle kill, meh.

24-Jul-15
Pavlovian envy response? I don't care how much these guys spend or have and I don't have a problem with guided hunts. The manner in which these hunts takes place is what gets me. Flying the entire state to find a bull then have a team of guys keeping tabs on him until it's time to go "hunt" him. That should not be allowed no matter how much is donated to the department. I have bought raffle tickets for tags like these but even if I had the money to buy one I would not hire a pilot and a group of babysitters to keep tabs on a bull. What's it worth to have a world record marlin if a pay a crew to hook one for me, fight it until it's done then I take the rod so I can land the fish.

24-Jul-15
..wouldn't be your world record marlin. Only one person is allowed to hold the rod and reel. :-)

Anybody who is making these accusations ever been on one of these hunts?

Years ago there were some amazingly inaccurate accusations made against a guy I hunted with every few years. Some would have been laughable if they hadn't been so inflammatory.

I like to look at pics of big animals.

Would be ticked if I was paying for advertising and saw that pic giving free publicity.

So, when I go down to the archery range am I only allowed to talk about archery and bowhunting? Can my buddies and I, who are gathered for archery, talk about other things we like, too?

24-Jul-15
NO! Especially not fly fishing. :)

24-Jul-15
Writer good point about the Marlin, I'm not much of a fisherman, maybe elk like these shouldn't be allowed in the books the same.

24-Jul-15
That middle guy has cool sunglasses!

24-Jul-15
"So, when I go down to the archery range am I only allowed to talk about archery and bowhunting?"

Absolutely not but to be at this virtual FREE archery range passing out flyers to the Grand Opening of your pay to play gun range while you shoot would be a stretch.

I wouldn't have responded to this thread without the logos.....

24-Jul-15
One heck of a bull that’s for sure!

I am probably in the minority here but I find the whole concept of anyone buying a tag that is good throughout the entire year both reprehensible and appalling. My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with envy. I enjoy seeing hunters harvest giant bulls and bucks as much as anyone. And I really don’t care if he has 4 guides or 14 guides helping him. My objection to this concept is that, in my opinion, it violates the tenets of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and the sound biological principles of wildlife management. If this same magnificent bull was killed on this same date in July by any other person without a Governors Tag, we would all be vilifying him as the absolute worst sort of poacher imaginable! Can you imagine the rhetoric that would be going on here on Bowsite if this great bull had been poached? In essence, this person has purchased the privilege to legally poach this bull elk outside of what was set as the biologically sound elk season.

I am a retired state wildlife agency biologist (33 years) who dedicated his career to the sound principles of wildlife management. I completely understand the difficult financial plight of our state wildlife agencies. I also understand that the monies raised through these types of auctions have gone to fund many great projects. I simply disagree with the concept.

If it is so great, why not auction 2 tags (instead of 1) and double the amount of revenue going to the wildlife agency? Why not 10 tags? Or 100 tags? Why not forget the auction and just sell tags for say $100,000 each to as many people as can afford them? All the wealthy guys could hunt year-round and wildlife agencies would be rolling in money. We would all obviously oppose that scenario. My point is that if it violates biologically sound wildlife management principles and the tenets of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation for 100 hunters (or 1000 hunters) to do it, then it violates those same principles and tenets for one hunter to do it. If tags must be auctioned to raise money for wildlife agencies, then at least restrict the hunter to hunting within a season time frame that is both biologically sound and generally acceptable! Just my humble opinion as a retired, old school wildlife biologist...

24-Jul-15
I simply like seeing a bull that big from AZ knowing I will be hunting elk there is a few weeks:) Congrats to the hunter and guides. It is a beautiful bull.

24-Jul-15
I agree with NCGRIZ. Why should these tags be good for an entire year. I think in some states they are good during the time frame of all the regular seasons. That seems much more reasonable to me. If I was out scouting in July and someone shot this bull out from under me with a rifle, or a bow for that matter, I would be extremely angry. Just because our wildlife agencies need money doesn't mean we should throw out all our normal beliefs about what is proper wildlife management. All wildlife agencies need money, I need money, just about everyone on this forum needs money. That's not a good enough reason to throw out all of our principles. I certainly don't think this animal should be eligible for the record book. It doesn't seem like fair chase to me. There are probably some guys out there that have waited many years for this unit and finally drew a tag this year. I bet they aren't too happy to see this picture. I don't care how much money this raised, I still don't think it's right. That's my rant, I'll shut up now.

24-Jul-15
The new American way, where anything and everything can be justified.

24-Jul-15
If you think this is bad coming next year to an elk unit near you, rifle hunts will occur before archery during the rut. Some spoiled brats clearly have an in at the AZGFD!

24-Jul-15
you can watch a elk all summer if you want, doesn't make it yours until you put a arrow through it!

only 2nd to "the new American way", complain that someone has more then me and want what they have for nothing!!

so what, the tag is good for 365 days. the bulls are taken almost the same week every year!!

I've driven past a half dozen dead elk last week all killed by cars including a dandy 6x6, maybe some of the money used will be used to make more elk crossings.

24-Jul-15
NCGRIZ, can you elaborate on how a 365 day hunt is biologically unsound when the potential take statewide is 3 animals (~.01% of the state elk population)? I am not a biologist, but if one were to juxtapose the benefit with the potential harm, I struggle to see the merit in that argument.

25-Jul-15
Sure, Matt. First, I never said it would negatively impact the overall elk population - obviously, the taking of only 3 elk would not. You could even allow those 3 guys to hunt them at night with a spotlight (and maybe get even more money for the tags)and it would still only be 3 dead elk - no big impact to the overall population. I said it violates the "principles" of biologically sound wildlife management. If you really believe there is nothing biologically wrong with allowing elk hunting 365 days a year, then why not allow all hunters that opportunity? Your argument that it is only a few animals, and therefore will not negatively impact the elk population, can be used to justify any activity at all. It still doesn't make it right. But when you expand that opportunity to a large number of hunters, then you start seeing the negative impacts. I repeat from my earlier post "My point is that if it violates biologically sound wildlife management principles and the tenets of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation for 100 hunters (or 1000 hunters) to do it, then it violates those same principles and tenets for one hunter to do it."

25-Jul-15
Seems to be a ton of envy here. If I had the money and time to buy this tag I would in a heart beat! I do not! But the money raised for conservation is what keeps this active. There are only a few that have the dollars to actually buy the permits and hire the guides and they are actually putting money on the ground for others to have a job! I do not see anything wrong here! All of the guys that have posted bad remarks need to look at the bigger picture here! Guys that are able to hunt were you cannot within a season you have to hunt in does not make it Bad, just a way to earn money for what all of us like to do! This is not a bad thing..more money towards conservation!

25-Jul-15
"If you really believe there is nothing biologically wrong with allowing elk hunting 365 days a year, then why not allow all hunters that opportunity?"

The fact remains that only 3 hunters are allowed to do so, so the question remains: what is biologically unsound with allowing only 3 hunters to hunt 365 days a year? Trying to shift the conversation from the actual to the hypothetical to avoid addressing the actual rings hollow.

25-Jul-15

25-Jul-15
I'm not a big fan of Auction Tags but I realize that they may be a necessary evil. How much less would the Auction tags sell for if they were only good from Aug 15- Dec 31? I'm too lazy to look this one up, which is probably why I can't afford this tag, but how much would an AZ elk tag have to be increased to make up for the money raised by these 3 tags?

25-Jul-15
Not trying to shift anything, Matt. Just stating that it has nothing to do with numbers and everything to do with principle. Yes, it is only 3 hunters. To me, it has nothing to do with envy or the few individuals, it has to do with violating what I consider a sacred principle. Increasing it to 5 or 10 would not negatively impact the population either. Would 25 or 50? Probably not. It may not negatively impact the overall population if we raised it to 100 animals statewide and that would certainly generate a LOT more revenue. Would you be in favor of doing that? My point is that once you cross that line - once you compromise those principles - the line becomes very blurred. Where do you draw that line in the future? What is your reason for holding it to only 3?

In many countries in Europe, only the privileged few can hunt - the wealthy not the poor - the royalty not the commoner. The tenets of North American Model of Wildlife Conservation hold that our wildlife resources are publicly held entities and as such should be enjoyed by all with equal opportunity. For the most part, it is working very well. But when we start allowing a privileged few to enjoy opportunities not afforded to the masses on our public lands, then we start compromising those tenets of the NA Model upon which our wildlife management is founded. I'm not the least bit jealous or envious - there are many places (large private ranches, Indian reservations, etc.) where individuals with enough money can and do hunt animals that will never be available to the everyday working man. That's free enterprise and so be it. But when these things happen on our public lands, in my opinion, it compromises certain principles and tenets that I am uncomfortable with and don't think our wildlife agencies should be promoting or allowing. I believe it sends the wrong message.

As far as the money goes, I simply believe there are better ways to generate it. How may hunters are in your state? A half million? A million? Would not a $1 or $2 increase in the license fee (the cost of one round of ammo) generate as much or more than these tags? I would certainly pony up that and a lot more.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse and I'll get off my soapbox now. It's just one man's opinion on where he would draw the line.

25-Jul-15
NCGRIZ well said thank you

25-Jul-15
NCGRIZ your comment would be valid if your first premise were true.

Not only is this biologically sound but many states are now hiring sharp shooters to take out surplus deer during ANY POINT of the year.

Matter a fact many states issue permits for farmers to take out animals during any point of the year.

So this hunt is not only a great revenue generator but it also follows what other states are doing.

Hunting is not a poor mans sport. Think about this, the average family of 4 spends $4,500 a year on vacation. That's about the average price of a guided elk hunt. Many in here take more than one guided a trip a year!

Matter a fact I have plenty of data showing that most hunters are well above the US average household income.

I respect that you disagree with the hunt. Everyone has that right. However, this hunt is no more right or wrong than the hunt I take in October.

25-Jul-15
Ahhhh, Genesis,

Please note my -

"Would be ticked if I was paying for advertising and saw that pic giving free publicity."

I was agreeing with your most stringent point, Steve.

And raise general license fees a few bucks and see what happens.

We removed the 65 and older exemption in Kansas, though once that age they could get a "lifetime" hunting and fishing combo for $40. The main reason was so we could qualify for federal excise tax money that was going to other states.

It hit the fan, though cooler heads prevailed, eventually.

Imagine how many great ideas that come from people with no experience, and no friggin' clue what it would take to implement those bright ideas. (And yes, that danged sure includes me, too.)

25-Jul-15
Hmm, wow.......

25-Jul-15
That's a big bull

25-Jul-15
A few high dollar tags, so what? Its a good cause.

If a solo bacpack elk hunter is envious of this bull he might want to look into how these 'hunts' are done.

25-Jul-15
"Not only is this biologically sound but many states are now hiring sharp shooters to take out surplus deer during ANY POINT of the year."

Please provide credible sources that support this claim for WESTERN states.....which is where this occurred.

"Matter a fact many states issue permits for farmers to take out animals during any point of the year."

Please do not confuse depredation permits due to crop damage as biologically sound management practices. Money and politics have more to do with this practice than an overabundance of the resource.

25-Jul-15
If Arizona is hiring sharpshooters to take out 400 inch elk, I am available.

25-Jul-15
NCGRIZ, I have the benefit of having worked with a state chapter of a national wildlife conservation group and have seen first hand the sorts of benefits that accrue to the average hunter from the thoughtful use of auction/raffle tags. While there is a state that has implemented this sort of a program in a way that IMO is not beneficial to the average hunter (Utah), I will never be convinced that on balance they are not beneficial when used thoughtfully.

Moreover, I simply won't subscribe to a position that both appeals to the cause of the common hunter and undermines it at the same time. The common hunter derives great benefit from auction and raffle tags (so long as the funds are used as intended) because they generate tens or hundreds of times the amount of revenue a public draw/OTC tag will, which in effect subsidizes general tag/license fees. Hunter numbers have generally been in decline for decades, and I think raising tag fees across the board in order to strictly follow a philosophical position is short-sighted.

Additionally, I personally disagree that having a few auction or rifle tags undermines the tenets of the NA wildlife model vis-a-vis the privatization of wildlife. The existence and allocation of these tags comes through a public process instituted to further the public good. IMO it is a win-win.

"Please provide credible sources that support this claim for WESTERN states.....which is where this occurred."

This is not related to deer, but the culling of elk in Colorado is relevant to the discussion. We've seen it with wild pigs (which are a game animal) here in CA as well.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/01/sharpshooters-begin-reducing-elk-herds-rocky-mountain-national-park

25-Jul-15
"As far as the money goes, I simply believe there are better ways to generate it. How may hunters are in your state? A half million? A million? Would not a $1 or $2 increase in the license fee (the cost of one round of ammo) generate as much or more than these tags? I would certainly pony up that and a lot more."

One other thing, this logic can be very flawed because these dollars may not be fungible. Here in CA general license dollars and raffle dollars go into different buckets with different stipulated uses. To that end, generating an additional $100,000 via license/tag increases versus $100,000 from an auction/raffle tag may not have the same benefit to the common hunter.

This is the sort of thing where strictly adhering to philosophical positions without an understanding of the legal/regulatory framework may lead to bad outcomes.

25-Jul-15
Wow is right! Congrats!

Mark

25-Jul-15
Azarchery stated only 2nd to "the new American way", complain that someone has more then me and want what they have for nothing!!

^^^ This arguemnt is for simpletons that only can regurgitate talking points (like class envy ) as every answer to moral questions rather than desimalate the issue and pass judgment on actions. It maybe to hard for you to comprehend that many of us are able separate right and wrong actions regardless of the amount of money it take to fund the action. And our stance on actions has no bearing on our Financial capability to achieve same action but many just chose not to.

26-Jul-15

the bottom line is, the gentleman that "bought" that elk with his donation did more for the az. elk herd then all the people on this thread put together.

unlike your stance, the azgfd's financial actions have a direct bearing on the health of the elk herd in AZ. it may not be a popular decision, but maybe a necessary one.

or maybe we just disband the gf dept. and let the elk fend for themselves. I'm sure they'll do just fine.

26-Jul-15
It's a slippery slope and these tags do generate some negative reaction amongst other hunters, as evidenced even on this thread.

I don't like the concept of Gov tags because I think it reeks of elitism and 'team' hunting. It's a PR nightmare IMO.

The hit that was put out on the Spider Bull several years ago soured me on the whole scene and this bull being shot in July velvet with another 'team' photo attached reinforces that feeling...although to a lesser degree.

That said, I won't lose any sleep over any of it.

26-Jul-15
Their camo is highly questionable.

27-Jul-15
Lol David. I agree. The outfitter I guide for during white tail season subscribes to the when in Rome act like a Roman stance. He gets pissed if one of his guides where's blue jeans.

27-Jul-15
Some of you make it sound like the hunter was flown in via helicopter only after the bull was seen bedded.

Do any of you know the entire story about this bull? Was it a one day hunt or did they put in 40 between last fall and this summer?

My closest friend who has purchased auction permits often put in more than 30 days or more per season with the guide, and it's two hours each way from his house. I guess you can call it "team" hunting since several friends helped in the scouting and pushes because they appreciated what the donation would do.

The guys grandson was along, too. Silly them.

Two of five years he didn't fill his permit because they didn't find the bull they were looking for.

27-Jul-15
Not Impressed!...(why is a gun kill even put on The BowSite?)

27-Jul-15
David....the guides are probably Amish

28-Jul-15
Great discussion. Thought provoking.

28-Jul-15
personally, I would have waited till he was hard horned.

28-Jul-15
by Writer:

""Two of five years he didn't fill his permit because they didn't find the bull they were looking for""

Ok, now if this guy is buying these governors tags every year, that looks like crap IMO. Sorry, but for a guy to buy these tags every year, he in effect, buys his right to hunt all year anytime he wants. That brings a bad smell with it..........

28-Jul-15
Beautiful bull.

I agree with Bullhound. If he is buying the tag every year, that is just wrong.

The privileged rich. A simple solution would be to make it a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Give others a chance to pony up $100K for bull, WTH.

28-Jul-15
its great that this guy can afford such a tag but sad he cant kill a elk without his possie !

28-Jul-15

26-Sep-15
The guy paid $260,000 for the tag, so it brought in more than the raffle did.

Terry

• Sitka Gear