Charlie Rehor 29-Jul-15
Tracker 29-Jul-15
fawn 29-Jul-15
Gene 29-Jul-15
wyobullshooter 29-Jul-15
Jaquomo 29-Jul-15
Franzen 30-Jul-15
27-Jul-15
I know the correct answer is "expect anything". But some guidance would still be nice.

I am taking my wife the week of September 19-26. Our GMU is about 9,000-11,000 feet. We are fairly far south, about even with Colorado Springs.

On all the videos I've seen, most of the guys are just wearing a base layer or a tee shirt. Is that realistic?

Here are my thoughts so far:

Pants: Merino base layer and lightweight "hiking pants" I thought we could add or remove the base layer as the particular day dictated.

Top base layer: under armor t-shirt or merino long sleeve base layer. I think this area is good.

Top above base layer: This is my big question. For Alaska, I wore an army surplus thick wool shirt. This worked great but I expect that this is too heavy for Colorado.

Top jacket: I have a 90% Jacket for me. I love it but I wonder if it is too heavy. If you guys like this level of jacket, I'll buy something similar for her.

Hats/Gloves: Selection of light merino gloves, neck gaitors, and hats

Rain gear: Lightweight, noncamo gear. I think she might stay in camp if we expect a lot of rain on a particular day.

Anything else?

27-Jul-15
Probably around 80 mid day. Maybe warmer. Gonna cool off at night. Any where from 40 to frosty and cold. 15-20. Mornings and evenings cool. Day hot. Expect an afternoon thunderstorm everyday.

2012 it rained every day for two weeks. And I'm not talking a Lil sprinkle. Torrential downpours. I hope you are luckier than that.

Be prepared for snow and cold as well.

Good luck.

27-Jul-15
Packable layers are the ticket. Many times I've been hit with a surprise snow storm when I'm a couple miles in.

I always wear the Merino Wool Base layers, so a Cabela's Space Rain Jacket, Gaiters, and a 600 weight down vest can get me through most any Weather. And, all that stuff packs down very compact and light in my Daypack.

I can add or shed these layers according to what Mother Nature decides to throw at me.

Best of Luck, Jeff

27-Jul-15
you could get a surprise blizzard even. I have camped on a foot of snow that week when I sweated like a dog just two weeks earlier.

27-Jul-15
I've been warm to hot in short sleeved shirt in the morning and blizzard conditions by the time the day ended and I'm not exaggerating!!!!! That was at a lower elevation in the North end of the Flat Tops. I think you have the right gear especially for a truck camp hunt, good set of rain gear with you every day and watch the weather!

27-Jul-15
At that elevation you need to be prepared for everything from hot 80F degree weather to snow and 20F.

27-Jul-15

Jason Scott's embedded Photo
Jason Scott's embedded Photo
We have hunkered down under tarp at 30 with rain then wet snow, sleet, wind and lighting while we laughed in amazement at our sun burned face and neck from the day before thinking we sort of remembered there was bad weather coming some time during the week. Beetle kill pine was snapping every few minutes in all directions all night long into mid next day. Get the ten day forecast and write it down. Take it seriously.

Layers, 4 layers. Base, mid(fleece or puff jacket), thin jacket (90% is good) and rain gear. Every time you leave camp. You may need all of it on at once or just the base layer. Bottoms I have base layer, regular pants and rain gear. Gloves that don't soak up water and a beanie that will come down over the ears. I also have a camo face mask, its really good to have when the wind is getting up.

This pic was 9-17 when the sun came up and it was around 30 deg. The day before was bad. I wished I had more but I made it. Right on the edge of comfort and misery. 8 hrs later I was back down to base layer top and just pants on bottom.

27-Jul-15
No one has mentioned boots, but I have four pairs in base camp. Two Goretex and two non. If you get hit with one of those four day rainy spells, or a foot of wet cement snow, saturated boots will happen.

Honestly, the "anything and everything" guidance is not a cliche. It is very real and more the norm during a ten day span in CO in September than an anomaly. The long term forecast calls for cooler and wetter than normal. Prepare accordingly and hope for the best.

28-Jul-15
I wear my lace-up Wolverines as much as I do my LaCrosse rubber boots each September.

I always have a rain jacket in my pack along with with my Badlands Inferno jacket.

Layer, layer. layer,

I will never forget 2013

29-Jul-15

8point's embedded Photo
8point's embedded Photo
Southwest Colorado 3rd week of September 2013 elevation 10,000 ft

29-Jul-15

samman's embedded Photo
samman's embedded Photo
9/21/13 it was hot, maybe 80's, 9/22 we had a little rain, 9/23 we had about 6" of snow, 9/24 it warmed, 9/25 it was hot again. We were north of Gunnison about 9-10K.

Expect anything, prepare for everything. Especially that time of year. The mantra in Colorado is "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it will change".

29-Jul-15

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Ha, it's Colorado! If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes.

Some years it is bone dry and hot during archery season. Others, it rains the entire time, or on those rare occassions it snows at 8500 feet during archery.

Obviously moisture is dependent upon elevation. There are days on 14,000 ft. peaks in Colorado where it can snow any day of the year-- heck today it could.

In 2013 we had one of the wettest months in September in decades. I was trying to kill a moose- sat in rain for a week straight.

The next week it was warm and dry, and then the moring of September 10th we awoke to 10" of snow. Luckily we came across a large Bull and cow and things shifted for my hunt. The bull was all rutted up in his rut pit and he had the cow with him.

29-Jul-15
I believe it will be gorgeous each day! Have a great hunt guys! C

29-Jul-15
You answered your own question when you said be prepared for anything. The cloths list you gave thou should get you by. I love my 90% jacket. It will be cold in the morning hot during the day and clod again right before dark. (for the most part)

29-Jul-15
Yep, pretty much anything. I live about even with CO Springs (90 miles west) at 8600'. That time of year I have seen a foot of snow as well as 70+ degree daytime highs. Nights will be frosty as the first frost at that elevation comes by the first of September.

29-Jul-15
I am not an expert on Colorado but I have been on 5 elk hunts there. Be prepared! On my first trip I got caught out in a downpour which changed to hail with the temperature dropping and I was not prepared for that. I damn near froze before I was picked up on a ranch road. Now I carry fowl weather gear in my pack and since then have been thru 2 more hailstorms that rolled in out of nowhere. I came home from a hunt in the Flattops in 2004 looking like I had spent a week in a microwave.Bring some type of skin protection or suntan lotion. Dress for anything that could happen as others have said. Good luck to you.

29-Jul-15
"I know the correct answer is "expect anything". But some guidance would still be nice."

No need to add the "But". As many others have already stated, follow your own advice and expect anything.

I don't hunt CO, but I've spent the past 4 decades hunting a stone's throw north of there. I've seen highs anywhere from the 40's to the upper 90's every week of the season, and highs in the 20's later on. I've seen constant rain, and I've also seen it dry as the proverbial popcorn fart. Any of this can happen at anytime during the season. As far as lows, I've seen them range from the upper 40's to single digits.

I've experienced snow, at least once, at least a dozen years. Most times it's 6" or less, and is gone in 2-3 days. HOWEVER, one year it started raining the morning of the 21st. That evening it turned to snow, and didn't stop until Wed night. We were camped at 8000' and got 14". 10,000' had a couple feet. Although that's the exception, you never know when the exception is going to hit. As the saying goes, "hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

Remember, you're not camped out in a WalMart parking lot. Mother Nature has no sympathy for those that are foolish.

29-Jul-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Elk camp, third week of September, 8,200'. Snowed double that in the high country. The day before we were wearing t-shirts, shorts and sandals in camp..

Note the broken aspen limbs still on the wall tent. They were breaking everywhere, whole trees falling over, blocking roads, A few minutes after that photo was taken, another limb broke off and plunged through my Alaskan guide tent.

30-Jul-15
At least you had refreshments down there next to that gas can!

I've only been going out west for about 5 years, but in that short time I've had snow and 80 degree weather in September. Ironically, when I was in Colorado at the highest elevation (11-12k) the weather consisted of mostly warm bluebird days and I got one heck of a sun tan (read burn), but bad weather can certainly be around the corner too.

• Sitka Gear