WapitiBob 28-Jul-15
smarba 28-Jul-15
jcneng 28-Jul-15
Mike_Parson 29-Jul-15
SteveB 29-Jul-15
KY EyeBow 29-Jul-15
Brijake 29-Jul-15
28-Jul-15
A while back that randy Newberg did a hunt on public land in new mexico out where there was not any trees. But some elk, I would not say a lot. I am not asking for his GPS coordinates I am just wondering if anyone knows what unit that is as I am looking at doing a spot and stalk somewhere. I appreciate any all positive feed back

28-Jul-15
I think you can do a search on here for "Big Fin" which is his bowsite handle. I've PM'd him several times on here as he deer hunted very close to me for awhile.

28-Jul-15
randy newberg dot com

hunttalk dot com

Your biggest problem will be drawing the tag. I'd have to look but odds in the low teens comes to mind.

28-Jul-15
For NM odds in the low teens would be excellent. For the 3 units I put in for the best odds are 5-6% with some being less than 1%.

28-Jul-15
Gila

28-Jul-15
I want to say it is Unit 13.

28-Jul-15
Why would you post another guys chosen unit on an open forum?

28-Jul-15
I think it's 36...no wait, 37...maybe ???

Regardless, NR odds of drawing are fairly poor. G&F posts all the data so that you can figure out rough odds, whether Resident, NR Guided or NR Unguided.

Landowner tags are also available, so it may be possible that Big Fin purchased a tag.

With regards to the initial question, there are areas in most NM units where spot & stalk methods for elk can be employed. We've had some big burns, so even some areas that were traditionally forested may provide an opportunity to spot & stalk.

I'd echo what others have said previously - if you want to know where Big Fin hunted, search him out and ask him. And if he tells you, don't post it unless he gives the OK.

Finally remember: I don't always tell where I hunt...but when I do, I lie

Best of luck

28-Jul-15
THIS: I don't always tell where I hunt...but when I do, I lie

29-Jul-15
I know that the east side of Unit 34 has rolling hills and more of a prarie like feel to it while the central and west side are mountains up to 9000' in elevation. This is my personal experiance as im scouting that unit now for this years hunt.

29-Jul-15
I saw tons of elk on the flats outside of one of the 16 units....I wont say which one :) When the hills and trees stop there, there is nothing...and still tons of elk.

29-Jul-15
Agree with WapitiBob! We are our own worst enemy

29-Jul-15
I would never provide information from another’s hunting area on a public forum. BigFin usually tells you where he hunts and what unit he is in as he did with Unit 13 and again on the latest RMEF tv show. I simply reiterated the information he already provided on a nationally televised show.

I use this forum as a tool to gather information to have the most successful hunt possible and to provide information to fellow hunters to “hopefully” allow them to be more successful. We all know how much time and effort we try and squeeze into a short window to successfully harvest an animal of a lifetime and it normally comes down to skill and being at the right place at the right time. None of us provides our “right place” but I would certainly hope all of us would provide the “right information" to help others.

As you know you can fit all 5 of the 16 units along with 21a and 22 inside unit 13, so it really is no different than someone stating they hunt in the Gila.

• Sitka Gear