Barty1970 29-Jul-15
ELKMAN 29-Jul-15
midwest 29-Jul-15
Barty1970 29-Jul-15
WillPower400 01-Aug-15
28-Jul-15

Archerdan's embedded Photo
Archerdan's embedded Photo
I am a member of a Louisiana hunting site and this guy posts several threads there about his hunting exploits. He, like many on here, hunts extremely hard and puts his body to the test. I thought I'd post one of his pics showing his boots he hunts in...........it's the classic hunting boot for our Louisiana swamps (LaCrosse rubber boots).

With all the threads on "which boot should I wear" and such i thought it was pretty interesting this guy spent a week in the mountains wearing plain ol' rubber boots.

28-Jul-15
Of course, I agree he does like he has been thru the ringer.....haha. His exploits are rather interesting and he has taken an elk and a turkey in the mountains.

28-Jul-15
I can't even imagine hunting in the mountains for a day wearing those boots!!!

28-Jul-15
It does point out one thing: we spend months stressing and debating about THE boot to wear, THE broadhead to shoot, THE raingear to wear, etc.

In reality, many things will work...

28-Jul-15
Blister mania!!!

Mark

28-Jul-15
Is this TBM on his infamous elk hunt last year?

28-Jul-15
A lot of sandpaper on the feet before that hunt!

Had a guy hunting with us in the Flat Tops one year wearing those things...man was he working up a sweat!

28-Jul-15
Must of been awful hot in those. I don't think he put too many miles on in those.

28-Jul-15
I saw a YouTube video of this guy! His wife was supposed to pick him up or something and after a few hours she didn't show so he started running...Forrest Gump style. He was holding his selfie stick and running down the road. I don't remember how far it was but he ran forever. It was a pretty entertaining video, but not necessarily for the hunting aspect. Haha

28-Jul-15
We are on the World Wide Web, SO do we are going to get a WORLD WIDE VIEW OF WHAT BOOTS TO WEAR------ WHEN, WHERE AND UNDER VARIED CONDITIONS.

I have never seen a pair of hunting boots made for all conditions. Just ask my wife because she tells folks, I have a dozen pairs.

Only 11.

my best, Paul

28-Jul-15
how does he walk in those boots when they are full of sweat and tears?

28-Jul-15
That looks miserable.

28-Jul-15
I've shot Moose and Caribou in boots like that! Met a female Stine Shhep guide who hunted in" Gum Boots"!! Lol

28-Jul-15
Also seems to be hunting elk without a pack or water or binoculars or calls or rain gear, etc. Maybe he has it all stored down in those waders.

28-Jul-15
They're really quiet too....

Wore a pair of those for irrigation on the farm, 7 days a week for 3 or 4 hours a day, 6 months of the year for a good part of my life. When it's hot and the crops are low you fold em down, arrrg, pirate style.... but they get nosier.

They aren't exactly cheap. Why on earth anyone would wear them hunting..... whatever.... there are folks that voted for Obama... twice.... go figure...

28-Jul-15
crocs get me from a to b, to darn hot for much else

28-Jul-15
why????

28-Jul-15
I was surprised to see cattails at 8,000 feet in the Bighorns of Whoming not many just a few. living next to 35,000 acre Horicon Wi cattail marsh just hadn't thought cattails to be a western plant.

Maybe this guy is keying in on the high mountain swamps that everyone avoids due to there unpreparedness !

28-Jul-15
They grow em different down there.

28-Jul-15
I'll bet he ain't manscaping either !

28-Jul-15
Although not that tall, I bring a pair of rubber boots with me to elk camp as well. Only difference is, I wear mine while standing in the creek building my washtub! lol!

As far as wearing them while actually hunting, I gotta admit...they're WAY down on my "smart things to wear while hunting" list!!!'

29-Jul-15
I use the 3.5 LaCross neoprene boots (found out about on bowsite) a fair amount to cross several wet meadows in the mornings and give my goretex boots some dry time...looks like another wet early season in CO. JohnB

29-Jul-15
I wore the Lacrosse hip boots for the duration of a couple Alaskan moose hunts. They are comfortable ankle fit boots, but do cause your feet to sweat. Hunted Quebec and Newfoundland caribou in 16" versions too, and wore out many pairs of the steel toed version underground in hardrock mines. I also killed a couple of bighorn rams and a lot of elk while wearing LLBean Maine hunting shoes.

I've seen stone sheep guides in 16" gum boots run across shale slides that make your butt pucker and ride horses bareback in them too. Lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat. All mentioned above are a lot quieter to walk in than Vibram soled hiking boots for me.

29-Jul-15
Proper fitting hiking boots were far and away the biggest game changers for me and elk hunting!

29-Jul-15
One thing sloggin' through bogs, swamps and tundra.... I'm all about the right tools for the job.

Maybe I'm in the wrong elk mountains... but up there I've never seen a bog you couldn't walk around fairly easy. Mostly nothing more than elk wallows.

However, my initial assessment may have been premature. Never know, I do know there are tough creek and river crossings in areas of CO and other places. Maybe he puts those on for those spots? Just going off a picture may not be the whole story. Although some of the other stories I'm reading....

But I kinda doubt he's putting 10+ miles a day in the mountains with those.... if he is... then I do question the sanity.... you'd be better off in cheap sneakers....

29-Jul-15
When i was twelve i could probably have done it, put tons of miles on rubber boots the couple years i lived in Alaska, would be crippled in minutes trying it now!

29-Jul-15
This has HDYLMN all over it

29-Jul-15
I wanna see what he could do in a pair of Meindls! LOL!

29-Jul-15
Barty.....it's "HDYLMK"!

29-Jul-15
Next level thinking has is that the new know is now

01-Aug-15
Hate to see how much ground he would cover in a good pair of hikers. Boots (Kenetrek), Mathews, Swarovski in that order.............he will learn soon enough.

• Sitka Gear