Bannerstone 10-Aug-15
Jaquomo 10-Aug-15
Bannerstone 10-Aug-15
JohnB 11-Aug-15
Jaquomo 11-Aug-15
Bannerstone 11-Aug-15
Junior 11-Aug-15
08-Aug-15
Hi I have a question about my set up being good enough for elk. Female, dislocated shoulder 2 years ago, can't get back up into the 50 to 55# range stuck at 45#. Shooting an Infinite Edge 45# at 26.5".

Arrows Predator ll 4560s cut to 28" Bop. Weight 350 gr with 100 gr point. going to use 100 gr Magnus stingers 4 blade. Also have gold tip hunters cut 29" Bop. I have a selection of broadheads Muzzy Trocars 125 and 100gr, Stingers 4 blade also in 125gr and looking possibly to buy the D.R.T broadheads by Dirt Nap.

Planing to keep shots close Ideally 20 yrds or less.

Ideas and suggestions welcome also any advise on how to get shoulder stronger to draw more bow weight. Used to draw 55# using a Darton Fury. Thank you for your help Diane.

08-Aug-15
I do not think you will have any problems shooting an elk with your set up as long as you keep your range short as you described. I would shoot an elk with what you are describing at 30 yards any day of the week but it will loose a lot of energy as the arrow goes out. Just remember to make a humane shot with the right angle. Lots of guys and girls shoot a recurve and make things happen with less than what you are gonna shoot.

08-Aug-15
I would look to increase your arrow weight. Arrow weight is what helps the trad guy's penetration, and stick w/ the cut on contact broadheads like the stinger or DRT. Make them hair popping sharp if you can.

I'm sure there are a few guys here experienced enough w/ lighter rigs to suggest a good weight, I don't know first hand but I'm guessing you may want 50-100gr more.

Depends on what is actually wrong w/ your shoulder. Identify the issue first and if it only needs strengthening I would consult a physical therapist then go from there.

08-Aug-15
not sure I would use the trocars with that set up, stingers would be fine

08-Aug-15
Agree with ohiohunter and carcus. Up the arrow weight, use a BH such as a Stinger or Buzzcut, and consult a physical therapist about strength exercises. Make sure you check the regs for where you intend to hunt. In Wyo, a bow needs to draw a minimum of 50lbs to be legal for elk. Good luck!

08-Aug-15
Stick to the Magnus or maybe a single bevel DRT and your shot distance plan and you will be fine I believe, it's kind of late to be changing stuff up too much. Heavier arrows and broadheads like trad guys use would help in the situations where something unexpected happens though.

08-Aug-15
According to OT2, those arrows are way to stiff, off the chart stiff. If the goldtips are 3555 then a 29.5" arrow with 150 gr heads would work with an overall weight of 402grs.

Its also saying that the Predators will need 275grs up front, 30" long you'd need 225 up front. Total arrow weight is 526grs and would work to 30 yards no problem in spite of the 160fps arrow speed, like shooting a longbow here.

Using heavy tips isn't a bad thing, I run 225 up front myself out of a 60lb x10 for elk, total arrow weight 452grs. With a stinger or other coc head it flys right through em. I would not use that muzzy, stick with the coc stinger.

08-Aug-15
Thank you everyone for the advice. Hunting in Manitoba Canada. Minimum is 40# set at peak draw weight for compounds. But I was worried whether it would work.

I was wondering about the arrow weight and will try to up it I'll pull the inserts and add some 8 32 brass bolt to the back of them ( 33 gr per inch) and check arrow flight.

Will use the stingers 125 gr. The fun is in the testing. I try not to over do it with the shooting when the group opens up I call it quits I don't need to develop bad habits(form) on top of it.

Pt exercises that I was given were weird they didn't do a thing for my shoulder. It was when I started googling shoulder exercises and got myself some thera bands and very light weights that I finally saw some progress. So I was hoping someone who had similar could say what helped them. So Thank you all again. Diane

09-Aug-15
Maybe consulting a different PT would help, I'm sure there are some kooky pt's just as there are terrible docs out there.

The thing w/ a shoulder is they take forever to heal. PT can be tedious and seem like it is not working but you have muscles in your shoulder the size of your pinky. PT's can help you strengthen those instead of the delt. Trust me there is a difference.

09-Aug-15
You can also add the 3 GPI weight tubes to the Gold Tips, or weedeater string to either, and bump the weight up without messing with your spine.

FYI, my hunting partner and I have killed quite a few elk with 53# recurves, 125 grain Muzzys and Slick Tricks, and a total arrow/broadhead package of around 450 grains. Your Infinite Edge at your draw weight is probably a more efficient bow than what we're shooting.

10-Aug-15
Forgot about weed eater line that would be the easiest way. When I get to work I'll put some line in and weigh an arrow to see what the before after difference is.

Have 10 yrd range at work so I shoot every other day on breaks.

I will got back to the archery range tomorrow and shoot them at 20 yrds and if they fly nice I'll go out to the woods Wed and play with them out to 30 yrds an 40 yrds.

thanks for the ideas. Diane

10-Aug-15
I use the red line and a 28.5" piece weighs almost 50 grains. My hunting partner showed me how he kinks it in several places before inserting into the shaft, which eliminates rattles and holds it in place. I've been doing that and it works well.

10-Aug-15
Well didn't get weed wacker line but they had 1/8" poly braided rope. Stuffed it inside and the weight went from 394.1 grains to 460.6 grains.

When shot they are going into the target deeper and still hitting straight in, no tail high or low and no left or right this is at 10 yrds. Will go and shoot at 20 yrds tomorrow and see what they do.

Will go look for the red stuff at some other stores so I can try it. Got lots of arrows to play with. Found out I had a fair amount of cam lean took me a while to figure it out but got the lean reduced and the bow performance increased.

Thanks for everyone's help Diane

11-Aug-15
I love to see when people try to be their best instead of just picking up a bow and 6 arrows at the local box store and slinging arrows good luck and happy trails!

11-Aug-15
Sounds like the poly braided rope is the ticket! Yet another example of why Occam's Razor is correct more often than not, especially with archery.

+1 JohnB.

11-Aug-15
I owe the animals that I hunt to be the best I can be. I normally don't have problems with hunting bow setting up.

But this is a much lighter draw than I like. I honestly thought I would be shooting my 55# Darton Fury by now. I have that one dialed in and have killed whitetails and bear with it. With the limb bolts backed out it still 50# and I can't draw it.

I like trying different ideas to get the final results I want. The increasing the arrow weight is a good one and easy to do with weed eater line, rope or just increasing tip weight. So thank you to everyone who gave me ideas to work with.

The tag is any elk so if one comes within my shooting zone with the right angle it's going to be taken.

If I get one I will post pictures. What a Wizard's Prank.

Thanks Diane

11-Aug-15
That's about how long it took me to shoot a bow, about two years. I don't think I will ever be able to shoot heavy poundage again. Have been stuck at 60lbs since 2008. Couple of things that got me (right hand shooter with left shoulder injury)to 60 lbs..80% let off, go with a light bow. Take off the stabilizer, go with a belt/pack quiver. If its your right, try and help draw the bow with your left, by starting with your elbow bent, hands parallel and extending your left arm (up and out)as you draw. Holding weight is way different than drawing weight, for me anyway. +1 Cut on contact heads and heavier arrows!

• Sitka Gear