Clutch 14-Sep-15
Jimbo 14-Sep-15
Dennis Razza 14-Sep-15
Bear Track 14-Sep-15
BEA 14-Sep-15
Guardian Hunter 17-Sep-15
Charlie Rehor 05-Oct-15
09-Aug-15
Last year while Elk Hunting at Rocking R Ranch in SW Colorado, Dan Reardon the Owner/Outfitter and I discussed offering a Wounded Warrior an Archery Elk Hunt. We have been working to make this happen and are proud to announce that we will be hosting an Iraq Wounded Warrior, Purple Heart recipient at Rocking R Ranch from 9/12 to 9/16.

We are working with Wounded Warriors in Action Foundation, www.wwiaf.org which arranges hunts and fishing trips for Combat Purple Heart Recipients.

On the next post I've asked Jake Whipkey our Wounded Warrior to introduce himself. I have had many conversations with Jake and he is a Bow Hunting fool like many of us. Pat has agreed to do a Home Page Feature on the hunt and I will be there hosting Jake during his hunt along with other Bowsite guys who will also be hunting Elk.

We ALL owe a great deal to our Warriors and this will be our first of hopefully more events and I hope you enjoy this hunt and show our spirit of thankfulness. We know there are MANY veterans on Bowsite and are very honored to be amongst you all!!! C

09-Aug-15
"My name is Jake Whipkey I was raised in the little town of Boswell, PA. I am the second son of John and Marcia Whipkey and also have a younger sister. As a kid I grew up, as alot of us do, with a strong passion for the outdoors and wildlife. At about 10 years old, my parents would get frequent calls from our neighbor saying she saw me shooting birds out of her bird feeder again. Of course mom and dad would scold me but dad always gave a secretive proud grin.

I started shooting a bow at age 5 or 6. Dad is an accomplished archer and competed in several leagues in our local area. Ben and I grew up hunting, it's a way of life for us. We can both thank our dad for that gift.

I always felt a call to serve my country. So when I graduated high school it was off to Georgia for basic training at Ft. Benning Georgia. From there I was stationed at Ft. Campbell KY. I was assigned to the 2nd battalion 327 infantry regiment where I served as everything from a rifle man to a squad leader. In 2005 we were deployed to Kirkuk Iraq. We spent 12 months in Kirkuk. It was truly a life changing experience. We were deployed again in 2007 to Samarra Iraq. On November 18th, I was hit by gun fire from a machine gun and medevaced back to Ft.Campbell. I received several surgeries on my right arm to try to regain complete use.

In 2009 I was retired from the United States Army. Soon after I started dating the love of my life Sara. She's been a huge part of my life ever since. In February 2014 we had a son Camden Jacob Whipkey. Hopefully I can live up to the big shoes my dad had as a father.

In 2008 I started volunteering my spare time to the Wounded Warriors in Action Foundation. Its been a life changing experience. The Wounded Warriors in Action Foundation takes our nations purple heart veterans on outdoor activities. The bonds I've made through this foundation have changed my life in unimaginable ways.

As for the rest of my time I operate heavy equipment in the same town I was born and raised in. Hunting has been and hopefully will always be a huge part of my life. I've been blessed with far more opportunities and experiences than I deserve. Thanks all, Jake"

09-Aug-15
God bless you guys - all of you. Keep it up!

09-Aug-15
Have a great hunt Jake!

09-Aug-15
Thanks Jake best of luck

09-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
CLICK ON THE LINK ABOVE TO DONATE!

Dan Reardon has donated the hunt for Jake and a big thank you to him. I've had quite a few of you ask about donating as well and we have arranged an easy way to give directly to Jakes Hunt and have the donation be tax deductible to you.

Additional costs include his plane ticket, Colorado Elk tag, meat processing/shipping and few other logistical items.

Here is the directions to give directly to Jakes hunt:

Click on the supporting link above or copy and paste this direct link, http://WWIAF.org/donate.php , click "DONATE," fill in info and donate any amount of $10. or more.

THEN IN THE COMMENTS BOX WRITE "COLORADO ELK HUNT" and that will ear mark it for Jakes hunt!

Any questions please send me a PM! Thanks and God Bless the Warriors!!

09-Aug-15
PS: If any of you guys decide to donate just put up a post that you did. The amount donated is not important. Contributions are tax deductible.

WWIAF.org will be giving me a total once a week and I'm sure we can cover the additional costs!

Thanks all and good luck this season! Each day is a gift, make it count!! C

09-Aug-15
I made a donation, Charlie. It's great that you, the Rockin R Ranch and Dan Reardon are doing this. Best of luck to Jake and all of you. I look forward to reading about it here on the Bowsite.

09-Aug-15
What Jimbo said !

09-Aug-15
Jake, Thanks for all you have done for our country. I sent in a donation as a small appreciation for what you have done for all of us. No amount however could make up for the sacrifices you've made for all of us. I look forward to meeting you as I will be at the Rocking R at the same time. Looks like we're in for one great hunt!! God Bless you and God Bless America, Brendan J. Mulholland, MD

09-Aug-15
Excellent... all the way around!!!

Jake, thanks for your service and have a good hunt!

Thanks Dan & Charlie and all supportive Bowsiters for supporting our veterans!!!

09-Aug-15
Hope Team Jake knocks down a good elk-- your in good hands with Dan n Charlie-- I enjoyed my hunt last year--actually my wife cook some elk meat tonight that was killed on Dan's place--Thanks for your service Jake-- go get'em guys

09-Aug-15
This is awesome! Just donated, with an employer match. Thanks Charlie for setting this up, and a special thanks to Jake for protecting our country.

10-Aug-15
Good luck Jake, and thanks for your service! We're neighbors!

10-Aug-15
Thank you Charlie and Dan for setting this up for Jake. Really looking forward to hearing his story of the hunt! I also made a donation.

10-Aug-15
Should be a fun hunt. I hope to meet Jake when I arrive on the 17th. Got my donation in.

10-Aug-15
Wow, I can't tell you how excited I am for this hunt. All of us at Rocking R are ready to hopefully give Jake a great experience. Thank you to everyone for your contributions. We feel blessed to be able to make this happen.

And everyone please thank Charlie for organizing this hunt. He has done an amazing job getting this together. This would not be happening without his effort.

God Bless our Warriors!

10-Aug-15
Outstanding that is has worked out. WWIAF is an awesome foundation. I myself have hosted many vets from WWIAF and each and every hunt has been special. Good luck to all involved.

10-Aug-15
Jake, thanks for your service, and I truly hope you have the trip of a lifetime.

10-Aug-15
Ron x2

10-Aug-15
Donation made. Have a GREAT hunt Jake!

10-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Great response guys and gals! This is one of those events where everyone gets to participate and it feels good!

THANK YOU ALL very much for donations and comments of support.

Look in the middle of the antlers on this hat!!

10-Aug-15
Donation made. I will be hunting at Rocking R Ranch the same week (9/12-9/16) as this Wounded Warrior Hunt. It will be an honor to meet Jake and thank him for his service to our country!! A special thanks to Rocking R Ranch, Dan, Charlie & Pat for making this happen. See you all in a month.

10-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
As you folks know SITKA GEAR has been a Platinum Sponsor on Bowsite for many years.

When I mentioned this hunt with the Sitka guys at the Pope & Young Convention they immediately offered to outfit Jake.

When I talked to Jake and asked him his sizes he was thrilled and appreciative.

A BIG THANK YOU to all the fine folks at Sitka.

10-Aug-15
Thanks again Charlie for your dedication to our Vets!!!

Proud of Sitka for stepping up as well.

11-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
Many of you know Dennis Razza from his taxidermy threads and also as a Bowsite Sponsor.

Dennis contacted me and has offered to do an Elk Shoulder mount for Jake if he is successful getting his Colorado Bull!!

Fantastic way to get involved Dennis! THANKS!!!

THANKS also to all you guys getting involved and making a donation!

How grateful we are that when a guy like Jake graduates high school he feels the need and responsibility to serve the country. At this time over 52,000 have been injured in the gulf wars. The volunteers in our military are1% of us Americans. We, the other 99% are very lucky indeed!

Jake was wounded on 11/18/07 and when I thought about that date I was MORE than likely bow hunting that day! We are grateful in so many ways! Thanks to all veterans from all the wars!

11-Aug-15
Donation made. Giving is always good regardless of the amount!

11-Aug-15
Thanks for setting this up And I hope Jake has a great hunt.

12-Aug-15

Attached is a photo at the entrance to Rocking R Ranch. This is what Jake's elk hunt is all about!

12-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
We are over half way to funding all the incidentals for the hunt! Thanks very much!

Here is the direct link to donate (copy and paste) or hit the "supporting link above"

Http://WWIAF.org/donate.php

REMEMBER TO WRITE IN COMMENTS SECTION:

"COLORADO ELK HUNT"

That way the donation will go directly to Jake's hunt! Thanks!!

12-Aug-15
Donation made.

Thanks to you guys for putting this together, and thank you, Jake, for your service. Good luck on the hunt.

Jared

12-Aug-15
Thank you Sitka! Thank you Dennis Razza! Those are some awesome contributions!

I spoke to Jake a few nights ago to go over some details. He is pumped and ready to go! I am really excited to meet him in person. This should be a great experience.

Thank you everyone for your gracious contributions.

12-Aug-15
Best of luck to Jake and Rocking R!!! Donation sent Looking forward to seeing all the pictures

Adam

12-Aug-15
This is so good! I work for Wounded Warriors as an adaptive ski instructor....I almost lost my leg once and I feel like I can relate to the guys I help.

I'm good for a donation. I'm betting you will have the hunt of a lifetime Jake and we are all proud to have even a little part in it.

12-Aug-15
Charlie, Thanks for posting this! Jake, sounds like you're well on your way to filling your dad's shoes! Thank You for your sacrifice and service. Have a great elk hunt. Donation made.

13-Aug-15
Thanks Charlie,Dan, and Bowsite for putting this together and making it happen. Also, it's great to see all the support and donations made. Looking forward to seeing everyone in camp. Best of luck.

Thank you for your service Jake.

13-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
This is a video that explains why the Wounded Warrior in Action Foundation was started, what they do and why it works so well. Check it out by copy and pasting the link below or hit the supporting link above.

https://youtu.be/lyEmX7GwTcc

THANKS AGAIN for all your support! C

AS OF 8/15 WE ARE 63% FUNDED for JAKE'S Hunt! Keep it coming guys!

14-Aug-15
Donation made . I'll be hunting a couple miles up the road during this same time. Might have to stop by and meet everybody.

15-Aug-15
ttt

16-Aug-15
I have never owned any Kuiu or Sitka gear. I have always just used wool from the Army/Navy surplus stores....but if I ever do buy any of the state of the art hunting apparel, Sitka is going to be the first company that I consider.....strictly because of their involvement in a veterans related cause.

16-Aug-15
Donation made. What Dan and Charlie and Pat are doing is another example of the good things associated with Bowsite. I and many others are thankful for your service Jake. Enjoy your hunt. Carpe diem.

17-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
Guys: We are now at 70% funded for Jake's archery elk hunt. If you can help get us to 100% here is the donation link. Click link above or copy and paste below! THANKS!

Http://WWIAF.org/donate.php

Make sure in the "comments section" you write:

"COLORADO ELK HUNT"

Doing this directs your gift directly to Jake's hunt!

If you make a donation put up a post so we'll know we're making progress!

17-Aug-15
ttt

18-Aug-15
ttt

18-Aug-15

We need to raise about another $500. Bucks to fund Jake's hunt! Any amount $10. Or more! Link is two posts above! THANKS!

Photo is from the entrance at Rocking R Ranch!

19-Aug-15
"I always felt a call to serve my country. So when I graduated high school it was off to Georgia for basic training at Ft. Benning Georgia. From there I was stationed at Ft. Campbell KY. I was assigned to the 2nd battalion 327 infantry regiment where I served as everything from a rifle man to a squad leader. In 2005 we were deployed to Kirkuk Iraq. We spent 12 months in Kirkuk. It was truly a life changing experience. We were deployed again in 2007 to Samarra Iraq. On November 18th, I was hit by gun fire from a machine gun and medevaced back to Ft.Campbell. I received several surgeries on my right arm to try to regain complete use."

This is a paragraph from JAKE's introduction post at the top of this thread! First sentence is what keeps us free to do all the things we do everyday!

Please click the link above to help! At this point 23 Bowsiters have contributed towards the hunt! If we get to 30 we should hit the goal! THANKS!

19-Aug-15
C'mon, fellas. With all the money we all spend on hunting for ourselves, we can all spare a few extra dollars for this worthy cause. Let's finish it up!

19-Aug-15
Donated....I can't wait to see pics and video. Good luck Jake and thanks to everyone involved with this.

19-Aug-15
Donation made, Good luck Jake! Save one for me, and I hope to meet you when I get there on the 17th. Thank you for your service!

19-Aug-15
Good luck Jake! We need to get Jake signed up here!!

20-Aug-15
Thanks to all you guys! We're closing in! C

20-Aug-15
donation in, Great job to all who contributed to arranging this hunt. Thanks for your service Jake, good luck!

20-Aug-15
Donation in! Can't wait to see the pics and smiles!

21-Aug-15
Thanks a lot guys for pitching in! I'll get a total from www.wwiaf.org in a coupe hours and give an update! Bowsite guys are "stepping up"! Thx!

21-Aug-15
Donation made! Good Luck Jake!

21-Aug-15
donation made, thanks Jake for your service!

22-Aug-15
Donation made. I will be out there the same time as Jake. Good luck Jake and thanks for your service to our country!

22-Aug-15
Wowser! Great job guys! THANKS!

Don W. Brad C. Steven P. Norman P.

You guys contributed also but I don't have your handle! Please Send me a PM

22-Aug-15
Donation made. Thank you Jake, and good luck!! Thanks also to Charlie and Dan for making this happen.

22-Aug-15
Nicely done guys, I made a donation.

Kevin Kenney

25-Aug-15
Congrats guys the Jake's hunt is fully funded! Great job to all! Bowsite Rocks! C

26-Aug-15
Outstanding! Congrats to you, too, Charlie. Well done.

13-Sep-15

Well folks we are 1.5 days into the 5 day hunt and there are 3 dead elk. One nice 6x6 by a Bowsiter 45 minutes into the first morning hunt and a bull and cow shot by two MuzzelLoader hunters.

We will do a Semi-live home page feature in early October which will be all-inclusive. Jake the WW is an amazing young man making all of us in camp very proud. God bless the Warriors!

THANKS to all the Bowsite guys that contributed to Jake's hunt!

PS: Jake had a bull the first morning at 25 yards but he winded us and was gone! Hope needed from you guys for Jake's success!! Picture is Jake (left) and Dan Owner of Rocking R Ranch

13-Sep-15
I'm into this one! Can't wait.

13-Sep-15
OK, let's get this show on the road. Good luck with your hunt Jake!!!

13-Sep-15
Jake, thank you for your service and sacrifices. Best of luck this week Also thanks to all that are making his hunt possible

13-Sep-15
Good luck Jake !

14-Sep-15
Make it happen Charlie-- good luck to y'all--Tell Dan n guides hello for me--Thanks For Your Service Jake

14-Sep-15
A couple of good men right there... and another good one holding the camera... thank you, Charlie... thank you, Dan... and big Thank You to Jake for your service!

Good luck, Jake... hope you get a big one!

14-Sep-15
Jake go get em buddy... see you guys wednesday

14-Sep-15
Come on Jake buddy,

14-Sep-15
good luck...get r done!

17-Sep-15
C'mon Jake, Get that Tag Guardian out and fill it up. Gary

05-Oct-15
WW hunt is now posted on the home page. Hope you get the same feeling of appreciation we did and thanks again to all who helped!

• Sitka Gear