Striker@home 14-Aug-15
SBH 14-Aug-15
midwest 14-Aug-15
fawn 15-Aug-15
Vernon Edeler 15-Aug-15
tjsna 15-Aug-15
Striker@home 16-Aug-15
11-Aug-15
CODY- Personnel with the Wyoming Game and Fish have confirmed the presence of a grizzly bear in residential areas just north of Cody. Game and Fish has not previously documented grizzly bears in this area and landowners in the vicinity are urged to remain aware and report sightings or bear activity to the Cody Game and Fish office. Game and Fish staff is actively investigating the situation and is taking action to resolve conflicts.

Large Carnivore Biologist Luke Ellsbury responded to a call Sunday morning reporting that a bear had gotten into garbage at a residence five miles north of Cody. “Tracks at the location confirmed a grizzly bear had been in the area,” Ellsbury said. “Yesterday morning, Game and Fish received and verified several additional reports of a bear getting into garbage at residences near the Cottonwood Creek drainage.”

“People should be aware that a grizzly bear may be present in residential areas along the Cottonwood Creek drainage north of Cody and take appropriate precautions,” Ellsbury said. “For the time being, we are asking property owners to secure attractants such as garbage and livestock feed to reduce the likelihood of the bear being drawn to a specific area. Game and Fish recommends that those in the area travel in groups, carry bear spray, and make noise to alert a bear of your presence.” Property owners and residents are asked to report instances of bear activity to the Cody Game and Fish office at 307-527-7125. “As always, we thank the public for their support and appreciate their cooperation during our investigations while we try to resolve any potential issues between bears and humans,” Ellsbury said.

~WGFD~

11-Aug-15
Ok city. Two post on Grizzlies, I guess you scared me away from your hunting area right before season!

11-Aug-15
just giving a heads up better to be informed esp the guys that carry spray or 10mm .

12-Aug-15
....they are more afraid of you then you are of them...yada yada yada. ??

12-Aug-15
FYI, They are in the bighorns as well. not near the umbers but confirmed by hound hunters as they have bayed up two in recent years.

12-Aug-15
How the heck did they make it over to the Bighorns?

12-Aug-15
ike they walked !!!!i have been told by my friend in Gillette there has been reports of grizz and wolfs straying in them parts bighorns really isnt that far from Cody Powell

12-Aug-15
ike about 70 miles as the crow flies easy trek for grizz and wolfs

13-Aug-15
The sheep herders are having trouble with them down in my bow elk hunt area----

They are expanding for sure.

Good luck, Robb

13-Aug-15

Hessticles's Link
Little town of Dubois,Wy

13-Aug-15
the area is far better off for having grizzlies a part of it

13-Aug-15

Jason Stafford's Link
They caught her this morning.

13-Aug-15
I agree Bou, but there's currently way too many.

13-Aug-15
Ron x2 and the fact that they lack a fear of humans unlike hunted populations.

I am sure there will be an attempt at a hunt in the near future but it will probably end up a legal battle.

Good luck and stay safe this season.

13-Aug-15
"They caught her this morning."

What are they going to do with this one, relocate it to Yellowstone?

13-Aug-15
Zbone, WGF spends an incredible amount of money trapping nuisance bears around Cody and relocating them south toward Dubois; then trapping problem bears down there/Pinedale area and relocating them up to Cody.

13-Aug-15
8^))) Ron - That's funny right there...8^)))

13-Aug-15
Ron is right, I live in Cody and it is basically every week they're moving them. I even heard they go right back where they trapped them sometimes.

13-Aug-15
Yeah, I watch a natgeo or discovery program once where wildlife officials were giving them 3 strikes so to speak... If a nuisance bear was causing problems they hazed and then relocated them... If they returned they relocated them again further away. If they returned a third time was the death penalty...

Also remember reading years back an article with photos of a Montana wildlife officer relocating a griz in a culvert trap and the bear (I think it was around 400 pound sow) was so pissed off at the trapping ordeal and the ride that as soon as the officer open the cage door, she turned and grabbed him mauling him to the ground where he had the kill her with his .357 service revolver...

13-Aug-15
Latest on the Cody Bear

http://basinreboot.com/2015/08/13/update-codys-cottonwood-creek-grizzly-had-also-been-involved-in-humanbear-conflict-situations-in-lander/

13-Aug-15
Dang wyohunter1, they only gave her 2 strikes...8^)

13-Aug-15
the folks in the area might appreciate that!

13-Aug-15
Should have got somebody from P.E.T.A to let her out...

13-Aug-15
I heard years ago they were relocating problem brown bears in SE Alaska up to 90-miles away across open ocean channels and the bears would nearly beat the helicopters back home. Something like 2-3 days they'd be right back at the same dumpsters.

13-Aug-15
Has anyone tried asking these bears nicely not to dig in residential garbage ? Seeing as how that's our prez's foreign policy it should work !

13-Aug-15

Striker@home's embedded Photo
Striker@home's embedded Photo
The grizzly population in the greater Yellowstone area is not hurting, despite all of the prophetic wailing and woeful wringing of hands in which enviros engaged at the demise of the white bark pine trees, the source of pine nuts and a significant source of calories for the bears towards the end of summertime. Now a number of years removed from those doomsday forecasts, the bear numbers continue to rise, and this year, for whatever reason, every sow I have encountered has twins or triplets. I have seen 2 pairs of triplets and several pairs of twins in and around the Yellowstone eco system. The death of these 2 bears will not have any impact on the overall grizzly population.

The image accompanying this post was taken near Frank's peak in Wyoming sheep unit 5 just 2 weeks ago. Before I shot this image, I watched another sow and twins for 30 minutes on another more distant ridge. 2 days prior to that, I watched 8 different bears congregated within 100 yards of each other eating moths on the shale slopes of Frank's peak. I took this image from where I had parked my 4 wheeler at the end of Phelp's Mountain Road on the Greybull River.

13-Aug-15
When WV had their bear study program going, my bud was the district 5. When they trapped nuisance bears for relocation, the bears would often return to the same dumpster/residence with in 3-5 days. They sure do roam. God Bless

14-Aug-15
When you have grizz and woofs you have a real impact on ungulate populations. Montana/Idaho are already there. Wyoming is there in the park and with this expansion and the aunties shutting down woof hunting is on its way elsewhere. Griz just killed a guy in the park. Strap on the bearspray and pray.

14-Aug-15
Striker@home, where you live?

14-Aug-15
@wyohunter1, I'm from Sheridan. I've spent significant time in the Wood and Greybull River drainages each of the past 9 years. As a photographer, I make it a point to get over and see the bears when they work Frank's Peak for the moths. Some day I'll draw my sheep tag, and I'll be ready, as I know the unit exceptionally well!

14-Aug-15
Need to open a season on them up there around Yellowstone. Also need to get the wolf season reopened. Cool to have them in some areas when hunting, but the numbers need to be controlled. Wolf numbers are way out of hand and have decimated the elk and moose numbers up there.

14-Aug-15
ive herard that northwest of Dubois (kissinger lakes area) is where they relocate yellowstone problem bears. get em closer to the public....

14-Aug-15
Striker if i recall there is concern about the moths numbers down due to farmers spraying in the east .

14-Aug-15
City, there may have been such a concern once, but it was more tied to the moths carrying the pesticides back to the Rockies and thus causing bears to eat unhealthy levels of the chemicals. That has since been disproved through extensive studies. The trend in bear behavior is showing an increase in use and consumption of moths throughout the Rocky Mountain Region, where some bears are feeding almost exclusively on the moths for as many as 3 months. Bears will east as many as 40,000 moths per day at 1/2 calorie per moth.

Me thinks that would give a pretty serious case of cotton mouth!

14-Aug-15
Don't forget that dude just got killed by a grizz in the park last week. The outcry from the morons about if they were going to kill the bear was an embarrassment to humanity.

14-Aug-15
"Bears will east as many as 40,000 moths per day at 1/2 calorie per moth."

sheesh! I think I'd rather eat a human, too!

15-Aug-15
Quite frankly, I would fine the heck out of those folks who left garbage out for the bears as well as charge them all the costs for trapping and euthanizing it! Stupid human tricks at it's best! Everyone wants to live in the wilds, but as soon as the "wilds" comes to them, they want it gone!

15-Aug-15
There are no grizz in the Bighorns yet. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen but the bears would not last long with the amount of human activity and livestock grazing that goes on in Bighorns compared to the Yellowstone ecosystem. Another thing to consider is the amount of black bear bait sites that cover the Bighorns. These sites would for sure attract a grizz just as easy as a black bear and the authorities would have been contacted.

With that being said a grizz comes down into the human populated Bighorn basin almost every summer just like the sow mentioned above. These bears always have some sort of human bear interaction in which the bear either gets shot or caught by the G&F. The 70 miles to the Bighorns is not that far but the temptations along the way are too many for a traveling bear to pass up.

15-Aug-15
Sorry Vernon to dispute your message but I know the hounds men personally and his dogs bayed up twice above ten sleep-powder river pass. He is one of the premier bear guides that is out of CA.and knows bears when he sees them.He usually spent all summer running dogs somewhere. Breeding population I do not know but they are there.

16-Aug-15
I don't believe they are in the Bighorns either. Until I see photo evidence with gps coordinates attached, I'll maintain that disbelief.

• Sitka Gear