trkyslr 01-Sep-15
bowpackerROB 01-Sep-15
otcWill 01-Sep-15
Wood 01-Sep-15
3dvapor 02-Sep-15
standswittaknife 02-Sep-15
Inline 02-Sep-15
11-Aug-15
So what is your go to mouth reed for cow talk,mews, estrus buzz, whine? Signal reed, double and manufacture?

11-Aug-15
Bugling Bull, Mellow Momma

Doesn't sound great for me for bugling so I have to switch out for bugles.

That said, I don't use it much anymore as I think The Temptress, although not a mouth reed, sounds so much better than any cow call I can make with a mouth reed.

If I need to make a quick sound to stop an elk with my mouth, I'd probably just end up using my "The Challenge," as most of the time I'm doing cow calls, it's not tough to reach down to the Temptress around my neck.

11-Aug-15
Mine is Wayne Carlton Blue. It works for me better than the rest in terms of sound I am looking for. Too many calls aren't versatile enough.

11-Aug-15
Bugling bull brown. Don't know the name.

11-Aug-15
Bugling Bull's Mellow Yellow Mama. Use it 95% of the time for all bull, cow, and calf vocalizations. The other 5% I use an Elk 101 All-Star. The Mellow Yellow Mama's a single reed, and I believe the All-Star's a double.

11-Aug-15
Primos pallet plate red. This call can do any sound an elk makes right out of the package for me.

11-Aug-15
mellow yellow but more often than not I use Primo's It make the bull crazy call. something about that call just works for me

11-Aug-15
Primos Imperial Plate. "The red one"

11-Aug-15
Mellow Mama if I'm not using the Temptress.

12-Aug-15
Primos Ivory Palate plate... Makes every sound I'm capable of making...

12-Aug-15
Bugling Bull Mellow Yellow for me.

12-Aug-15
Mine is the Yellow triple reed from glaciercountryhuntingcalls.com. I do a lot of strange stuff and work them harder than anyone I know, and most stretch out and become worthless within a few morning and evening hunts. I have found the ones from Glacier Country stay tight and I have yet to wear one out. I have one I have been using since 2012 and it still works great. Now losing them is another story so I did just order two more. :)

12-Aug-15
Bugling Bull Brown "Raging Bull"

12-Aug-15
Primos sonic dome mini in white or blue, I can't get the red to behave. I have a small mouth and a gag reflex i'm working to overcome and this is the only reed that I can tolerate and it gives me good sound.

12-Aug-15
Primos Sentry plate.

--Bill

12-Aug-15
to be honest to me there just isn't that much difference between any of them. Essentially just a turkey call is all it is.

12-Aug-15
Correct, it's how you use it to get the sound you want that works for you. I like the single reed.

--Bill

12-Aug-15
There is a huge difference, however, in how long they last when they are worked hard and put up wet. I am probably doing something wrong and putting too much pressure on them but I can stretch most out in a single calling session. The ones from glacier country, however, just keep on working.

12-Aug-15
Quaker Boy heard bull, hard to find but lasts a full season + .

13-Aug-15
Bugling Bull "All-Star"

13-Aug-15
Bugling bull "raging bull" but am playing with a "mellow yellow" right now as well.

13-Aug-15
For cow calls, anything with a single or double reed works for me. I also use an external reed call for high volume/ estrus type calling.

For bulls, I prefer triple reeds. The Carlton Triple fits me best and gives me the best results (so far)

Best of Luck, Jeff

15-Aug-15
Another vote for the Primos Imperial plate (red)

18-Aug-15
Carlton Blue and Herd bull Brown

18-Aug-15
I use about four different ones a lot. Carlton red & blue and Primos imperial plate (red) and their Top Pin (Yellow).

I find they last much longer if I put a drop or two of water in with them when not being used. My two favorites will see their 3rd September this year!

19-Aug-15
I purchased a couple of double reed calls last year but had a lot of trouble getting good sounds out of them. Just picked up a Mellow Yellow from Bugling Bulls yesterday and it works much better for me. I plan to pick up some more of that brand.

I'm a rookie at reed calling, haven't had any trouble with turkey calling but for some reason elk calling was tougher until I tried the Mellow Yellow.

20-Aug-15
Point Blank Hunting Calls EFT - Single, Double, and Triple. Like a little variety as well as an open reed call.

22-Aug-15
Phelps DragonSlayer

25-Aug-15
Not exactly on topic, but I'm wondering if there is a previous thread and/or anyone has experience with the "glunking" sound bulls make when they are preparing to bred? I just purchased a Flextone Bull Rush Glunker. Reproducing the sound is easy, but the instruction beyond that SUCK! What is the calling sequence? How often do you call? How close should you be to the bull before you start? When do you stop calling? Etc.? I found a couple videos, but they aren't too useful. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

25-Aug-15
I am far from a great bugker but I like the Bugling Bull mellow yellow. I am a wiz with a hoochie mamma. I just wish I could get it to make a bugle.

25-Aug-15
This year it will be the 'Widow Maker' from Wapiti River Outdoors from Alberta Canada

01-Sep-15
I just started using a diaphram call a few weeks ago have been using a blow call the last few years. I ordered a mess of them from different manufacturers and found out I need 1 with a palate plate to sound good. Primos sounds good with the dome top probably the sonic dome single from them and the Rocky Jacobsen Mellow Yellow are my 2 favorite.

01-Sep-15
I gotta try the phelps line... But mellow yellow been my fav

01-Sep-15
EFT single, double, and triple from Point Plank Hunting calls. Personally love the triple.

01-Sep-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Decisions. Decisions. I like the all-star from bugling bull best

01-Sep-15
The Challenge, single reed from Rocky Jacobson Bugling Bull calls. By the way, if you don't know, Rocky's house near Kamiah burned up in the big fire there.

02-Sep-15
Used to be bugling bull but berrys new yellow dome calls are superior. Way easier to break through different octaves and latex last longer. There will be bulls killed with this call!!!

02-Sep-15
Carlton blue

02-Sep-15
Glacier Country Calls.

Blue Blaster for locating

Troy's SW for working a bull.

• Sitka Gear