WapitiBob 19-Aug-15
LTG 11 19-Aug-15
LTG 11 19-Aug-15
Alzy 20-Aug-15
Beendare 20-Aug-15
trophyhilll 22-Aug-15
15-Aug-15
Definitely NOT debate free...

The intent of this thread is to understand opposing viewpoints regarding shot placement on a broadside elk. I understand that this has been discussed MANY times here in detail, but I feel a revisit is worthwhile, especially for those guys going on their first elk hunt this year. What I am hoping for, is that a few experienced guys that have killed an elk or 2 with arrows, will chime in and offer a qualified opinion of just where is the best place to run and arrow through a bull? Since most boys like pics with their stories, I will include a few of mine. Feel free to add your own, but please be able to explain in detail, as in, you completed a detailed post Mortem inspection of compromised organs, arteries and bones.

While serving as cabin boy and horse wrangler and official photographer for LegoMan last year on his Colorado chipmunk hunt, I asked for and received permission to take a break from my chores and chase elk for a few days while he formulated his hunt strategy. I felt a bit guilty leaving him at the mercy of his dangerous quarry, but he has been in many tight spots by himself and has always come out unscathed.

I took advantage of the freedom! On the first evening out, a sweet, eminently edible (read small) bull responded to the calls and was soon standing unaware and broadside at 35 yards and I killed him clean. Since this is about shot placement, that's all I will write about the hunt.

The shot was a complete passthrough and was stuck in a log about 5 yards or so behind the bull. Since broadheads are always a hot topic here, the bull was killed with a 125 gr. Viper Trick by Slick Trick.

15-Aug-15

ki-ke's embedded Photo
ki-ke's embedded Photo
First pic, the arrow. Judging by just the sign on the arrow, what organs might you believe were involved?

15-Aug-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Here's what you're up against!

15-Aug-15
That never gets old! Keep posting that Charlie! Thanks

15-Aug-15
In Charlie's pic, I would aim for the gap between the first and second ribs to the left of the joint at the bottom of the scapula.

15-Aug-15
Straight up the leg, mid body...

16-Aug-15
Yep, straight up the leg. Only difference is I aim closer to 1/3 the way up.

16-Aug-15
I'd agree... 1/3 is closer to my aim point as well...

16-Aug-15

Basinboy's embedded Photo
Basinboy's embedded Photo
A 1/3 up is what I always shoot for. Come on August 29th!

16-Aug-15
I will say that beginners must remember to shoot for the heart. I feel like alot of people try to shoot for the lungs & in the heat of the moment end up shooting too far back. I was guilty of it for years. Try to shoot his heart out or the large arteries & vessels above it & if u end up being a hair back you're ok. Focus on shooting him forward or you'll get "back" & tell yourself it's ok.

16-Aug-15

ki-ke's embedded Photo
ki-ke's embedded Photo
Here is where the debate may start. I don't believe anyone can argue the lethality of shot placement. As advocated above by a few of you, the shot was straight up the leg and about an inch below the BB approved center of V. Although it may appear that the shot should be dead center heart, the arrow actually was about an inch above the heart, taking out both lungs, the aorta and pulmonary arteries. Hard to do more damage than that. With all that damage, this little bull travelled about 150 yards, much of it straight up a steep incline. He ran the entire way and left incredibly little blood sign. Perhaps 3 or 4 dime sized drops, one every 30 or so yards to confirm I was on the right track. Right at the end there were a few larger splatters, but still not what you would expect from the shot. Had the tracking job been on rocky ground, or if there were many other fresh tracks to sort through, the tracking job could have proven quite challenging. I was second guessing the shot after I had gone 100 yards and found only 2 dark colored blood spots....

Here is what I believe happens on a hit like this and what may account for the bull being on his feet so long. The arrow entered and exited through the meaty "tricep" part of the shoulder. When this happens, especially when the arrow shaft is not present, the hole through the shoulder is independent of the hole in the ribs and acts as a seal to the chest cavity. Little to no air is introduced and lung collapse is delayed or prevented, which was the case here. His lungs were fully inflated when I opened him up. Blood also has no direct path out of the body, until blood starts blowing from the nose/mouth. I believe collapsed lungs stop an animal before blood loss does. Imagine getting punched in the diaphragm and then having to run a 100 yard dash. You're not going to get far. Couple that with an arrow through your lungs and you're not going anywhere.

Dwight Schuh advocates shooting back and center from what has been discussed here. Hard to argue with his success.....the lungs are actually larger and thicker at about the 5th or 6th rib and 5-6" under the spine. Blood will not be contained by shoulder muscles nor air be prevented into the chest cavity, quickly collapsing lungs.

So....do the pros/cons of one placement overshadow the other? Is there truly a "best shot" in this scenario?

16-Aug-15
I think you're right. When the legs move the holes seal up. If your shot is broadside through both shoulder/leg muscles you won't get much blood right away. If your shot is quartering away, and you shoot behind the shoulder, the entrance hole won't seal and the lungs will deflate faster. Both shots are just as lethal, quartering shot is quicker.

16-Aug-15
Ki-ke, I shot a bull in 95 at about the same location on the body. The bull bled quite a bit. He was on his feet much longer than I would have dreamed, but he did not go more than 125 yds. Now, I would try to hit a little higher. Really, any shot in the lungs would make me very happy.

16-Aug-15
Double pneumothorax I believe it's called...I think...lol.

I'm also of the school of behind the leg, double lung pass through. You guys know the rest...with an open wound channel, atmospheric pressure collapses the lungs and they go down fast.

I agree with the "leg closing the wound" theory...yeah, he's dead, just nobody's told him yet :^)

16-Aug-15
Rick, thats the school I went to too! Trying to squeeze off that perfect heart shot puts my arrow too close to heavy bones going in and coming out. I like to pick my arrow up on the far side of my game.

17-Aug-15
Ki-ke, I had a very similar experience with the bull I shot in 2012. I shot him straight up the leg through the shoulder muscle a little below mid-body. The bull was slightly quartering to me and the arrow exited through the diaphragm on the far side. I was able to keep track of the bull and watch him for nearly two hours after the shot even though I couldn't sneak in for a finishing shot. I backed off and came back the next morning to find him dead in his bed just yards from where I left him. When I butchered the bull I had centered the lower lobes of both lungs but evidently missed major blood vessels in the lungs. The stomach material had plugged the exit wound and the shoulder muscle had covered the entrance and both lungs were still inflated. I think he died from peritonitus rather than loss of blood. Until I saw it with my own eyes I would have considered it impossible for a double lunged animal to live that long. I still like the up the shoulder shot and do subscribe to the theory that most lost elk are shot too far back. I like the idea that if I hit one a bit too far forward in the shoulder and it doesn't penetrate that elk has a better chance of healing than a gut shot bull which will definitely die.

17-Aug-15
Major arteries are in the center of the lungs, then to blood vessels as you go outward. I don't aim any further back than the leg.

17-Aug-15
People from both camps (shoulder crease vs. slightly back and centered) have been successful with lethal hits on elk.

That being said ...

To anyone new to archery elk hunting, there is one tip I think we all would support: the best shot to take is when the broadside animal's front leg closest to you is in the forward position. There are many things that can affect arrow flight --- having the shoulder blade out of the way as much as possible expands our desired target area ...

17-Aug-15
I follow Bill Allard's shot placement recommendations.

6 of 7 of my last deer/elk have died in sight, the only miscue being a poor choice moving shot that ended up liver hit and recovered 200 yds away. I'm aiming for the vessels coming off the top of the heart, no matter the angle.

It's straight up the leg, middle of the triangle for me. Same mid body BH pass point for quartering away animals (about at the crease).

Double pneumothorax is great till it's single pneumothorax. I prefer to kill by exsanguination.

17-Aug-15
Charlie, do you have a straight on view of that skeleton?

17-Aug-15

Barty1970's embedded Photo
I practice using the dimensioned photo of a bull's vitals, which I have reproduced as near enough life style target faces...

17-Aug-15

So when I'm practicing [with my BHs], I know that I have a central lung shot [the 13" big yellow circle], and a heart shot [the 7" small circle]...this is my first [and last!] shot yesterday afternoon from 42.5 yards

17-Aug-15
For me....I will always shoot for that tight to the shoulder shot that takes out the main plumbing coming out of the heart and into the lungs. Heavy blood trails are nice, but quick recoveries and heavy blood trails are not always synonymous....

I believe the bull in my example to be something of an anomaly, as I've killed other elk with the same shot and all have died within 60 yards. This bull ran like a rocket after the shot and didn't slow down until he cartwheeled, whereas the other ones stopped to look back before the lights went out.

On any angle other than broadside, especially for a simple minded guy like me who can't think of 2 things at once, my aiming point is always the offside leg.

Someone said above that many elk have been lost with a low hit just a bit back. I agree 100%. 4" behind the point of the elbow on a broadside elk is all paunch. Mony guys have made this shot and gone immediately into celebration mode, only to be bitterly disappointed when they never see that elk again.

17-Aug-15
ki-ke,

had a whitetail that made a very quick 100 yard dash after a broadhead took everything right off the top of his heart. Not hardly a drop of blood! and there was patchy snow!!! After opening the deer up and seeing that everything was basically snipped right off of top of heart, we decided the heart had nothing to pump or no pressure to push blood out.

Sometimes things just don't make sense...............

17-Aug-15

Beendare's embedded Photo
A good pic i stole from someone here I think.

I usually just wait for them to turn towards me so i can shoot the frontal shot- grin

18-Aug-15
I think the above picture highly exaggerates how far forward the shoulder bones are.

18-Aug-15
Shoulder bones, shoulder blades, etc. can vary greatly in their position, according to the posture and position of the bull.

Shoulder blade can float several inches up or down if the animal twists a certain way. Found that out the hard way last Season!

Just saying...static pictures are not an absolute. They are a great reference, though!

Best of Luck, Jeff

18-Aug-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Here's one that I hit pretty darn close to the "perfect" spot. He ran about 110 yards and bled very little. I agree with the theory regarding the moving shoulders blocking the hole through the chest cavity; I've had it happen a few times on whitetails that I shot through the shouders. One time it was sub-zero cold and there was snow on the ground and although I saw him drop, there was not a drop of blood on the snow until right before he dropped.

18-Aug-15
When asked, I tell the person to think in 3D with the target being a cantelope, centered between the legs and centered in the >.

I tell them to always aim for the center of that cantelope, never the offside leg. The reasoning being, as the animal turns, the aim point remains the same; the center of rotation. If they aim for the offside leg, as the animal turns, facing away for example, the offside leg will move left of center, as will their aim point. At 45 deg, they would be well left of center. Aiming at the center of rotation in the above example, the exit point would be in front of the offside leg.

If they hit that cantelope with a 3 blade head, of sufficient diameter, they will hear that animal fall. 100 yards at full throttle is about the max I have seen an Elk go. I believe it takes that long to fully deplete the oxygen in the brain and have all systems fail. They don't need a functioning heart or blood pumping thru the brain to run.

18-Aug-15
While I'm a big believer in the vital triangle, I'm becoming more of a crease shooter, especially with treestand whitetails.

My personal opinion, based only on my own experience, is that a vital triangle shot often results in some bone involvement, whether a glancing blow to on-side bone, or glancing or full hit on offside bone. This results in an animal that runs hard at the shot. And often, because of the leg moving and covering holes, seems to result in a lesser blood trail.

Seems a majority of the animals I shoot in the vital triangle run hard 100+ yards, die in mid-flight, often with a difficult to follow blood trail. They're still dead, and I still find them, it's just harder.

Whereas a large majority of the animals I've killed with crease shots bound off, maybe stop to look back and then fall over, etc. And the blood trails are often painted on the ground and trees, very easy to follow at a fast walk.

I'm torn. They are both effective. I tend not to think about it too much, and instead try to take the best shot for the angle I've been given. Sometimes it's a vital triangle, sometimes it's a crease.

Bake

18-Aug-15
Wapiti bob

You make perfect sense. However, as I described above, at the moment of truth, the few coherent thoughts I can form could never envision an elk carrying cantelope.....my personal experience after 40 some odd years of shooting critters of all sizes with arrows, offside leg has worked for me with a low % of errors.

18-Aug-15
I also question the bone overlay of Beendare's pic. The humerus seems a little low and forward.

18-Aug-15
I will take a pic of a skinned out front shoulder 30 days from now so we can see how close that pic is- grin

It seems to me the shoulder blade might be anchored at the top of the shoulder a little forward in that pic...but otherwise pretty close.

18-Aug-15
The animals that I've seen hit in the > have left a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow. Goes to show there are anomolies in everything, like you said KiKe, it could be a function of muscles, tissue, fat, etc.

I shot a whitetail doe in the > last year and I actually found blood spray at site where the arrow hit her. It severed the aorta right above the heart. She made it about 30 yards at a full sprint.

19-Aug-15
Ki, the green monster has crawled up my ... A few times so I know what you mean.

19-Aug-15

LTG 11's embedded Photo
LTG 11's embedded Photo
Not an elk, but shot tight in the "V" ......

19-Aug-15

LTG 11's embedded Photo
LTG 11's embedded Photo
No bs, a solid line of blood from spot of the shot 70 yards to the dead deer.

20-Aug-15
I just watched an interesting video about the "Fire Bull" on you tube; the shot placements in this video are great fodder for discussion. The first seemed great, but minimal penetration was achieved- it appeared to have just caught the shoulder blade. 10 days later the bull was shot again by the same hunter- again, the shot seemed good. The bull went a long ways and tracking had to resume the next day. The recovery was made and the shot was low, just behind the elbow; I was very surprised how far the bull went before it expired. If you have seen the video, I'd love to hear your thoughts about both shots. I'll attach the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So6sg3FJ7vg

20-Aug-15

In through the shoulder blade on his left side and out a little lower and slightly back on his right side- on a about a 30 degree downhill shot at maybe 12yds

No bloodtrail--he went maybe 3 steps (as he was falling over) Yeah, I like a coc tapered BH- if you do your part they don't even know they are hit.

22-Aug-15
Center of the > for me.

• Sitka Gear