CrabClaw 16-Aug-15
fawn 16-Aug-15
Bigdan 16-Aug-15
fisherick 16-Aug-15
bpctcb 16-Aug-15
Bigdan 17-Aug-15
SDHNTR(home) 17-Aug-15
15-Aug-15
I'm looking for a good game hoist for elk. At least a 7:1 ratio. needs to be compact "for a day pack" and obviously durable. I'd prefer it to have metal wheels and good rope. Looked around on e-bay and only found a cheap one with nylon wheels and polypropylene rope. any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

15-Aug-15
What are you planning on hoisting that you need a game hoist?

15-Aug-15
I bought a Hitch Master just in case I shoot a moose this year, and it dies in the water.

I also bought 240 feet of 3/16" Dyneema rope, off the auction site, to complete the setup.

15-Aug-15
Mike Vines, you need to do a review of the Hitch Master and the rope. Actually try it out before you use it. I have a "rope come along" that I use and have actually hoisted an elk up a tree with it and have used it to move an elk to a better spot to process.

Down side it is heavy, and just carry it in the truck until I have an elk down.

Terry

16-Aug-15
I was just going through my stuff and I have a rope hoist in my box of "stuff I don't use" anymore. I used to keep it in a pack I had ready in case I had an elk on the ground as I used to only carry the bare essentials in my pack each day and kept another one back at the truck with extra knives, It has metal wheels like you describe. If you are interested in it, drop me a PM. $10 plus a little shipping and its yours if you want it.

16-Aug-15
Below is a web address to a pretty cool lightweight hoist. I'm not sure it is what you are looking for, but you can't beat the weight of it. I tried to convert it to a link. If anyone else can, feel free to do so. There are times I wished I was more computer savvy, but most of the time I just don't care to be,lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4krSGkLXu4&feature=share

16-Aug-15

fawn's Link
Here's the quick link to the youtube video. Although it doesn't work quite as well as a pulley system would, it looks like it does the trick and will work for a whole deer or an elk quarter.

16-Aug-15
Thanks Fawn. I knew someone would bail me out. I just came across this in the last year, so I haven't tried it on an actual critter yet.. My thought was to use it to get quarters up off the ground while packing the others out. You know, away from bears, yotes, saskwatches and the like.. If not mistaken Fawn, it was from a post of yours that I started leaving meat on the bone and packing out that way.. Got to say, anymore I wait until I'm home to take meat off of the front and hind quarters. For much more stable loads I gladly pack the additional weight. Kudos to you. (If my memory is correct.)

16-Aug-15

CrabClaw's embedded Photo
CrabClaw's embedded Photo
This is a block & tackle system I made using some lightweight climbing gear. There is a rope to throw over a branch and then hook to and pull the block up into the tree and tie off, it is about 30' long. the actual line with two double pulley blocks on it is about 50' worth of rope and then I have 3 pieces of rope with loop ends for looping through quarters or around bags and horns. these can be attached to the lower block with a carabiner. I wanted a lightweight, compact system I could carry with me to be able to get elk meat up off the ground and away from the grizzlies. The rock climbing stuff is way lighter than anything a hunting related company has out there, the whole thing weighs about a pound and a half.

16-Aug-15
I don't carry anything except some lengths of rope with me. I can hoist a single quarter without any problem and I am only 5'8" and 145#. I suppose if you hunt where bears could be a problem then getting it waaaaay up in the trees would be a good thing. I believe that the pack poles in Yellowstone for their campsites are aver 20' off the ground to get high enough to keep the grizzlies at bay since they can stand and reach a solid 10'. I can get a whole elk out in three trips by myself, so I rarely have to hang it up too long. The last one I did totally by myself was 2 miles from the trailhead. I shot him about 7:30 am and was in the car, heading home with all the meat about 3:00 pm.

16-Aug-15
Just carry some 1/8 rope and quarter and hang your meat.

16-Aug-15

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
Here is a set up for light loads.

16-Aug-15
I run a setup like CrabClaw's. It's two Bluewater pulleys, three Nano carabiners, and 160' of 7/64 amsteel rope. It all weighs 18oz.

BP

17-Aug-15
You mite have a problem finding a tree that you can hang an elk on. Lodge poles don't have any big limbs.

17-Aug-15
Why would be my first question? Easier to just break it down. No need to hang.

• Sitka Gear