Droptine47 23-Aug-15
relichunter 23-Aug-15
tacklebox 23-Aug-15
tacklebox 23-Aug-15
tacklebox 23-Aug-15
LaGriz 24-Aug-15
tacklebox 24-Aug-15
20-Aug-15
So, I leave for CO next Friday. Headed to 52, I have done my online scouting and I know the area fairly well as I lived nearby for some time, years ago, and spent a fair amount of time wandering.

However this IS my first elk hunt. I am all ears if any of you Bowsite elk veterans have any tips, tricks, or otherwise you would be willing to impart upon me.

Much Thanks

20-Aug-15
C'mon gents. Certainly someone has some input. Whether it be just some early season tactics that have worked for you in the past, opinions on the unit, heck maybe just a story of opening day success.

I just wanna talk elk and there is clearly many folks here well versed.

23-Aug-15
There will be some elk up high in the dark timber but it seems like the get pushed down into the oaks in a hurry. Look to hunt the quakie/oak line. There aren't many really good glassing spots so you will have to cover some ground.

23-Aug-15
I will be there on monday Gotta get the kid to school first. Will be coming in from Va. Staying until the 28th. Oak brush for me. The locals will be in the high country enjoying the last few weekends of the summer and it seem every year I have more luck on the oak/cedar line. Good luck.

23-Aug-15
Thanks for the feedback fellas!!!

23-Aug-15
Relic hunter if you down somethin and need a hand let me know

23-Aug-15
Relic hunter if you down somethin and need a hand let me know

24-Aug-15

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
tacklebox,

Remember they have an uncanny ability to locate you when you call. Make a "side step" after you call and avoid setting up "on a elk trail." I repeatedly have been busted not following my own advice on this. Also, if you get busted my domestic cattle, don't quit thinking the situation is blown. I have the T-shirt for this error too!

I like to take advantage of an afternoon thunder shower and work the "new wind direction" right after the shower. The walking is quieter with the dampness and the elk might get up and change their mood. I do remember enough post-shower action occurred to believe the hunter may have a slight edge with a steady breeze from a new direction. Often I will be on a bench with a thermal rising preventing me from entering a sweet looking pocket. The weather change might make a still hunt possible into a previously off limits location. Must be prepared to shift gears again, as the new wind direction may be short lived. note: Attached pic is of a elk trail descending off of a bench on the way to a wallow. Also had a seep near by to refill my water bottles. Great afternoon hot spot!

I do like Droptine47's advice to seek the Quakie/oak brush line! I always like to hunt an edge, like between two types of cover. Do enjoy a "snoop & poop" around the benches 500 to 1000' down from a ridge top in early-mid afternoon. If these trails lead to water, all the better. Mix in a few cow calls,lots of short-medium range glassing while listening, and maybe catch some movement without being spotted.

Best of luck to you! LaGriz

24-Aug-15
Thanks LaGriz, more great info!

• Sitka Gear