JLS 22-Aug-15
chuckles 22-Aug-15
Matt 22-Aug-15
bo hntr9 23-Aug-15
cnelk 23-Aug-15
Mule Power 23-Aug-15
Start My Hunt 23-Aug-15
20-Aug-15
Just wondering if others get a really dry, scratchy throat like I do, and what do you do to keep from coughing?

Do you use some type of hard candy, cough drops, or what?

20-Aug-15
I flex all my neck muscles until A)my head blows up, or B) I pass out. Usually the latter. In all seriousness those would be some clutch pics when guys are in stand or in the bush trying not to let a tickle type cough come out. I would look pretty seriously mentally ill...

20-Aug-15
jagermiester, straight up, just like vics cough . but none of the funny after taste

20-Aug-15
I try not to cough in general, it's a very violent process for your throat.

If I can't control it, I get some Thayer's Slippery Elm Tablets from the health food store. They allow for a much gentler way to move mucous from the back of your throat.

I'm a keyboard player/vocalist on the side, so coughing can destroy me.

Best of Luck, Jeff

21-Aug-15
violent process for your throat haha jeff first the sandals now the throat :>

21-Aug-15
I had a seriously violent cough when I was hunting in South Africa some years back...it was like kennel cough, it was so hacking; gave me nose bleeds

I gave up trying to control it; just figured I'd right off whatever shots at game were likely to happen when I was hacking away

21-Aug-15
All that candy and cough drops put out way to much scent !!!! Carry a bottle of water.

21-Aug-15
Water works for me.

21-Aug-15
If you are hunting in an area that has oak brush grab a few small accorns and pop on in your mouth, this will cause you to salivate keeping your mouth moist. When one gets squissy try another!

21-Aug-15
If the bull is close enough to smell my Werther's hard candies he's going to smell my funky ass crack first! LOL!

21-Aug-15
Carry a water bottle and take a sip right away.

think about other things:)

Mark

22-Aug-15
Thanks, I always drink plenty of water, doesn't always work.

Werther's and Butter Scotch it is .... Cheesehead Mike - LOL agree.

22-Aug-15
I prescribe Thayer's Slippery Elm Tablets all the time. They create a nice protective coating on the throat, not much for taste, but they work. If you have a cough there aren't any over the counter medications that really work, it takes codeine or another opioid to really do the job. I prescribe Cheratussin once in a while to hunters, it's low very low dose codeine and works pretty well without sedation on for an adult.

22-Aug-15
cityhunter,

Sandals...didn't you mean "panty hose"?

Get it right, Lou! :D

22-Aug-15
Agreed Mike. I fart a lot when I'm elk hunting (and all that time for that matter). I think that smell is much more noticeable than my spearmint gum.

22-Aug-15
I'm a bubble gum chewer, helps a lot for the cottonmouth. If the elk is downwind from you, it doesn't matter what's in your mouth, the game is already over... Chew gum man....

22-Aug-15
Stay hydrated and suck on a pebble if you are really in need.

23-Aug-15
Are you taking losinopril for blood pressure? I had a persistent dry cough until I switched to another medication.

23-Aug-15
I keep a couple gay farmers...errrr... jolly ranchers in my pack to keep my mouth hydrated when needed

That just didnt sound right did it?? lol!

23-Aug-15
Jolly Ranchers

23-Aug-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Carl,

Interesting that you mentioned this about the blood pressure meds. I switched to a new one about a year ago and have had a cough ever since. Sounds like I need to get onto some other medication.

Mike

• Sitka Gear