Vids 21-Aug-15
Amoebus 21-Aug-15
Jason Stafford 21-Aug-15
kota-man 22-Aug-15
CurveBow 24-Aug-15
Matt Palmquist 24-Aug-15
Elkguide27 24-Aug-15
21-Aug-15
So I have managed to pick up some Sitka gear tops etc. Mostly all the ascent line as I hunt September elk a 6000 feet or lower most of the time.

I am looking at pants and trying to figure out which I should buy. Last time I was at Cabelas they had nothing.

I am looking at the Ascent vs. Mountain vs. 90%. I have found a pair of 90% in my size that are new but the older cammo pattern for $100. I am thinking about getting those to layer for colder weather.

But I am not sure about the Ascent vs the Mountain. I want a pant that will get me through the cooler 1/2 of september and through the early rifle seasons.

From what I read the mountain might be better but will it be too hot for early? FYI last night it was 87 degrees at my camp at 5:30 pm.

Is the ascent much light and cooler? Or are they about the same just the Mountain has the additional bells and whistles like belt and pockets, and rub locations etc.

21-Aug-15
My Ascent pants are older, but they are definitely very light and cool. And stretchy

The 90% is heavier, more wind resistant than the Ascent

I have no experience with the Mountain

21-Aug-15
Ascent definitely lighter/cooler than Mountain. I personally wear Ascent here in NM. I personally would be to hot in the Mountain 87 degrees. Although I have friends who hunt in the Mountain pants here in NM Sept elk.

If you're only looking for one set of pants you could always put base layer under the Ascent and get by in much colder weather.

I have both Traverse (which is basically just the Mountain with waterproof seat & knees) and the Ascent. I never wear Traverse here in NM unless I'm hunting in snow. I had the 90% and sold them because they were too close to the Traverse and I found I never wore them.

Carl

21-Aug-15
Mountain is slightly heavier but either will work for what you describe. I have a pair of each in Open Country and will use both.

I wear the Ascent equivalent pant on my whitetail hunts into November with layering the traverse pants so I get a lot out of my light weight pants.

21-Aug-15
The mountain pants come with knee pads. I don't know if that is something your interested in or not. Me personally I use the timberline pants. They are water proof in the knees, inner ankle and butt as well as having knee pads. I have thought about getting the ascent pant for warmer weather but I continue to stay with the timberline. Lol

21-Aug-15
The Ascent's are my go-to pants. I also have some Mountain pants, but I rarely wear them.

21-Aug-15
Ascents are super comfy...but the mountain aren't far off. They are a little more durable and have the built in knee pad. Personally I would go for the mountain for more versatility, but you can't go wrong with either.

Matt

21-Aug-15
If you're thinking Mountain I would go with Timberline. Basically the same thing with waterproof butt and knees. I bought those after I sat on a snowy log in my 90% pants and had a wet butt the rest of the day. I'm currently looking for a 2nd pair of Timberlines.

Timberline/Mountain are a little heavier than Ascent, but I think they'd still be okay in September. Personally, in 87 degrees I'm too warm in any pant anyways.

I like all of my Sitka pants - Ascent, Timberline and 90%. All have different uses but I think the Timberline work in any season while the others don't.

21-Aug-15
I think I have the timberline also (I guess that is midway between the mountain and 90%). They have removable kneepads that I might have to add back in for antelope.

The timberline feels warmer than its weight because if the wind/waterproofing. But, I hike all day long so you have to adjust for that if you are sitting. I like the solid colors so I didn't consider the other 2 when buying.

21-Aug-15
Lots of very good information here. I use both the mountain pant and 90%, depending on the weather. The mountain pant has been my go to pant when I'm limited with weight/space restrictions.

22-Aug-15
I've wore (and currently own) all the Sitka pants and have used them on everything from Coues deer in the desert, to mountain goats in the Alpine.. Here are my thoughts (they echo most of the responses you've already got):

*Ascents - Lightweight, breathable and stretch. Great early season pant and can even take you later with good long johns. Good all around pant but just a little light for the true late season.

*90% - This pant has changed DRASTICALLY for 2015. It is not even close to the same pant as previous versions. It is much lighter, breathes MUCH better and is still weather resistant. I wasn't a huge fan of the earlier versions of the 90% pant, but the '15 Pant is one of my favorites and ranks right there with the Timberlines and Mountain Pants.

*Mountain Pant - This is probably my favorite pant offering from Sitka and most versatile. Not as light as the AScent, but light enough to wear early season. (I don't know about wearing these in the upper 80's though) With a good baselayer, these can be wore deep into the season.

*Timberline - As stated previously, this is the Mountain Pant on steriods. Waterproof seat and knees make this a great all around pant. I don't like wearing these early season because they are heavy and the waterproofing makes them warmer, but come late season, this is my "go to" pant.

I wouldn't want to be without any of these pants, but if you want to only only two pairs, I'd probably go Ascent and Timberlines for your needs. They would cover a large percentage of conditions for sure. If you were only going to own ONE pair of Sitka Pants, the new 90% pants probably cover the gauntlet best. I think the new 90% pants are Sitkas most versatile pants.

Whatever you choose, you really can't go wrong. All of these pants are great choices.

24-Aug-15
For me, my Ascents are too light. I use the 90% in CO, and have never tried the Mountain Pants. I use the 90% and don't use long johns.

>>>>----Sitka - Great!---->

24-Aug-15
Good info Corey...I haven't seen the new 90% and preferred the other options over them in the past.

Matt

24-Aug-15
I give a thumbs up for either the mountain or timberline they are my favorite pairs of pants no matter what im hunting

• Sitka Gear