JLS 25-Aug-15
Jim/WA 25-Aug-15
Cazador 25-Aug-15
Topgun 30-06 25-Aug-15
TD 26-Aug-15
Vids 26-Aug-15
Franzen 26-Aug-15
23-Aug-15
Ok, so I've shot my elk and left evidence of sex naturally attached to the hide on the rear quarter.

Got it all quartered and packed back to camp - let it hang couple days - now I'm going to cut it up (process it) in camp.

I'm done - every thing is bagged, tagged, and in the cooler, ie: cut up "in my opinion - it's processed".

Obviously the proof of sex is now removed and discarded.

I know the law states something like - proof of sex naturally attached until processed.

I think what I've done is completely legal - the elk is now processed.

My partner thinks we need to leave proof of sex on until we get it home (MN) - (leave a portion of the elk "unprocessed" with proof of sex "naturally attached".)

What say you?

Oh, we leave at "0-Dark Thirty" Tuesday morning - I'm going to really suck at work tomorrow.

23-Aug-15
If everything is cut down to 1 lb packages wrapped in freezer paper then I agree with you, it's processed and evidence of sex is no longer needed. I cut up my own at home and that's when I throw away evidence of sex.

23-Aug-15
Don't know where you are hunting but this is what Idaho rules say!

Deer, elk and pronghorn:

"If the head or antlers are removed, evidence of sex in the form of testicles, penis, scrotum, udder or vulva must remain naturally attached to the carcass or parts thereof on all harvested big game animals until they reach the final place of storage or personal consumption, or a commercial meat processing facility."

23-Aug-15
Colorado this year - Wyoming next year.

23-Aug-15
Nope - In Co in 2013 I shot a mule deer. I processed it in camp and had it all cut up and in the cooler in ready to eat packages. Two Wardens stopped by camp to check us. I showed them all the meat cut up, antlers and everything. They said I still needed to have evidence of sex on a piece of processed meat even though I had "processed it". I even showed them the ball sac that I had tossed a few hours earlier.

They gave me a formal written warning that i had to sign. They said they could have given me a ticket.

23-Aug-15
I now always keep evidence of sex on till it is in the freezer at home. I just mark the package so I can find it.

23-Aug-15
I hope the people that make these dumb rules end up chocking on a nut sack one day.

23-Aug-15
Wyoming no longer requires evidence of sex to remain attached. If you have an either sex tag you don't need to keep anything. If your tag is for a female then all that is needed is to cut the udder off and put it in a ziplock bag to keep with the meat.

23-Aug-15

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
This is from the 2015 Big Game booklet. I think #5 is the key, "or after the carcass is cut into processed meat, wrapped, and frozen"

23-Aug-15
evidence of sex hmm do u look like pat from SNL

25-Aug-15
Processed, wrapped, AND FROZEN.

Doubt you can have it frozen in the field. But if you are staying somewhere with a big freezer or bring one with you on a trailer, sounds like it is doable. If not, then leave one quarter with proof of sex attached.

25-Aug-15
when you are smilling

25-Aug-15
dumbest rule ever

Like I would spend all that time and money going into a hunting area, killing a bull and a cow, bringing the antlers out from the bull and the meat from the cow and leaving the bull meat .... I never understood the evidence of sex rule. Ever

25-Aug-15
So an empty condom wrapper won't suffice?

25-Aug-15
Of course the most interesting thing about the "evidence of sex" is that a "bull" (antlered) is any elk with hard horn longer than 5" and a "cow" (antlerless) is any elk with hard horn less than 5". Of course in some areas, there is the 4 point restriction for antlered, HOWEVER, it is the HARD HORN that defines the animal, NOT what is between their legs. Granted it is rare for a cow to have hard horns, but it does happen, however a young bull or bull calf will fit in the category of "cow" (antlerless) so how does one leave "evidence of sex" if all you bring out is the quarters, no head or head attached? Leave the scrotum, you have a "bull" not a "cow"!

25-Aug-15
In reality, there is no way to have a testicle "naturally attached" to a ham...because it doesn't attach to the muscle anywhere.

You just have to leave a strategic strip of skin on the ham to keep it from falling off.

Stupid verbage IMHO.

25-Aug-15
In Kansas we can now take close-up photos of the attached and signed permit, then a more distant photo of the entire tagged animal that clearly shows gender.

We can upload it from the field on the tele-check system if possible. If not, as soon as we get to where we have the needed cell or 'net access.

For a change, we're the one with the makes-sense rule. :-)

25-Aug-15
"Like I would spend all that time and money going into a hunting area, killing a bull and a cow, bringing the antlers out from the bull and the meat from the cow and leaving the bull meat .... I never understood the evidence of sex rule. Ever

No, what you describe makes no sense, but killing a bull when you only have an antlerless tag would be common if you did away with the requirement.

In other words, kill a bull, stash the antlers in the woods, haul the meat out and claim it was a cow (since there would be no proof of sex required). If the warden wants to go back to the kill site, well, a bear must have hauled off the head and buried it somewhere.

Or you could kill a cow with a bull tag and just claim you didn't want the antlers so you left them in the field.

Under your system, there would be no way to control how many bulls or cows were taken

25-Aug-15
You should really call the Game Department in the State you plan on hunting. Everyone is an expert. You might even request speaking with a Game Warden.

25-Aug-15
I didn't realize the regs read that it has to be frozen (which I think is ridiculous) when I answered before.

Based on that, I would leave evidence attached to some meat that is still attached to the rear leg bone if you are determined to process it before heading home. Or just leave one hind unprocessed and leave evidence on that.

25-Aug-15
Okay, back to my original question, in different words. I have a ML antlerless tag for this year in CO. I kill a bull calf, or a bull with antlers shorter than the 5" requirement for an "antlered" elk. I am only going to bring out the meat, so how do I meet the requirement? If I leave the scrotum attached, then by definition I have an "antlered" elk. If I leave the head and scrotum at the kill site, then I do not have any "evidence of sex" attached. Am I going to have to leave the head attached to one front quarter and drag that heavy a$$ed thing out?

25-Aug-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
@fawn

Page 17 also addresses your question.

25-Aug-15
No fair, CN, you're reading the instruction manual.

We may have to yank your Man Card.

25-Aug-15
I'm going to be the odd man out here and voice my support for this rule. While it may seem nonsensical to some, there is a reason for it. At one point in time, antlerless tags were the exception rather than the norm as they are now. That said it is still not an archaic law.

Say you are hunting in an any elk area and you shoot an elk. Great, you have evidence of sex attached to the meat and/or head gear in your possession at camp and/or transporting.

Without evidence of sex attached to the meat, it is way too easy for folks to game the system. They can do this by keeping antlers in possession while packing out an illegal cow. They can do this by trying to sneak out a bull on a cow only tag, etc.

There are a number of situations where someone could try to pass off an illegal animal as a legal one if they were not required to keep evidence of sex attached to the meat. Is it a perfect system? Heck no. Folks with no intentions of being illegal will get nailed for what they consider an honest mistake. Black and white enforcement of laws is never a good thing.

However, to think that a huge cooler of antelope meat, with no evidence of sex attached to anything has never contained a buck taken on a cheap OTC doe tag is just naïve.

25-Aug-15
I agree with the evidence of sex rule, I just think the part about it being frozen is ridiculous.

What if you drop off your animal at a butcher and head home as soon as he's done processing it? You've done everything legal, but it's thawed out so it's illegal.

25-Aug-15
Once many years ago, a NR buddy shot this rag horn. He came back to camp all excited.

Knowing he was from the Midwest and an avid WT hunter (but new to CO elk hunting) I curiously asked if he left the EoS on a quarter when he gutted it.

Nope.

So, when we went back in to pack it out, I left the head naturally attached to a front shoulder. That was a very cumbersome load for sure.

Good thing we did as we got checked we we arrived back at the trailhead. and all was good.

25-Aug-15
Vids, I think most butchers would freeze the meat before you take it home? Idk I only took mine to the butcher the first time.

It's written the way it is cause someone tried to intentually or had unintentionally done wrong.

I still have a hard time getting evidence of sex from a bull, I just cringe a bit!!

25-Aug-15
I like the photo with your license idea. That would make a whole lot more sense for folks who hunt the back country, like me. I have no issue with carrying out the testicles or udder attached, but if you have to keep the head attached, that is going a bit far. The rules are written for the majority of hunters who seem to stay within a few hundred yards of the road, so leaving parts attached is no biggie. Having to carry out a head attached to a quarter, which seems to be the case if you have an antlerless tag and kill a bull calf, is a bit much!

25-Aug-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo

25-Aug-15
JLS that's so much work is inconceivable that attaching balls stops poaching.

Its a gig to hammer nonresidents with a fine if anything and yes - its archaic because if it truly helped prevent anything every state would have it.

only Colorado has this silly law to my knowledge

25-Aug-15
stealthy,

Actually, all of the states I've hunted in have it, including Idaho, Montana, Washington, Nevada, and Wyoming.

I'm willing to bet just as many residents get hammered as non-res.

I didn't say it would stop it. It just makes it easier to catch.

25-Aug-15
I think some of you guys think your fellow hunters are poachers by nature.

25-Aug-15
All of them? No. Some? Yes.

25-Aug-15
Glad this came up. More than once, we've cut and wrapped our elk prior to the trip back east when I lived there, placing the sex organs in a zip-locked bag and tossing them into the cooler before heading out. Looks like I've been in violation more than once.

On a related note, I've never been sure which order to bring meat out of the woods assuming solo with a pack frame. Usually I bring out the portion with attached evidence first then the head/antlers last. Any thoughts?

25-Aug-15
Off topic, but sort of on. If you shot an elk, everything legit, and a warden asked to go visit the site, would you offer to walk back with him?

I don't think I would and I'd be a little leary of telling them where I shot it as well.

25-Aug-15
JLS: "Actually, all of the states I've hunted in have it, including Idaho, Montana, Washington, Nevada, and Wyoming."

You may have missed my earlier post, but Wyoming dropped that attached requirement a few years ago.

26-Aug-15
In some circles.... everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Many game dept and apparently many hunters live by that rule. Good grief, if you shoot a bull bring out some antlers. A cow don't. But someone feels the need to put cracks in the sidewalk that are a bust if you step on one. PROVE you didn't break the law.... good grief....

Yes there are some idiots that break rules. They will break them regardless of the rules. This stuff is like gun laws. Go ahead, make it harder to own a gun. Only the honest will go through the trouble to comply. And you will lose a bunch of honest people who just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore. Stricter laws? See: Chicago, et al that have the strictest in the nation. Works well there I hear...

I will bet money I don't have..... the vast majority of tickets written or game confiscated under these rules were legally and honestly taken by honest folks thinking they had followed all the rules only to be shafted by.... what exactly? No, no.... not what... WHY exactly?

Just a little bit of rationality. Nobody is robbing banks here. But it does seem more and more like you have to bring your lawyer with you to go hunting. It's hunting for cryin' out loud! A recreation a heritage. But don't dot that "i" that someone stuck in there for whatever reason and there will be hell to pay....

Go after poaching out of season, no license, tags, spotlighting, whatever, criminal intentional offenses. But legal hunters hunting in a legal area in a legal season need to be treated with a bit of respect, not contempt. Yet many game depts insist on treating them as criminals that just haven't been caught yet. Like other regulatory gestapo, heap regulation upon regulation written up by some cubicle cowboy until somebody steps on a crack in the sidewalk. gotcha.

Sorry for the rant. This attitude, the micromanagement and assumption of guilt having to prove you are innocent is so..... never mind.... I give up. Don't bother reading me my rights... I no longer seem to have any already.... all government strives to become the IRS or EPA.... omnipotent.... PROVE you are innocent before us.... if you can....

Bravo for WY. They have been leading the west in the interests of true sportsmen for years even as some others seem to have been taken over by urbanite bureaucrats in DC. Offices in....

26-Aug-15
BowCrossSkin - Yeah, every butcher I've gone to has frozen it.

I'm just talking about a situation where a nonresident has to get on the road immediately after the butcher is done and it's not frozen yet. Or, like the OP wants to do, butcher it in camp and head home.

Some people even bring out freezers with a generator to keep everything frozen on the way home. If you process and pack the meat in camp you would still be illegal until the meat has become frozen.

All of those scenarios should be legal, but they are not the way that rule is written. Heck, when I process mine at home I'm technically illegal the minute I cut the evidence off because it's not frozen.

26-Aug-15
Caz, in some states i believe you are required to go back to the site if asked by a warden.

• Sitka Gear