pav 24-Aug-15
kota-man 24-Aug-15
Fulldraw1972 24-Aug-15
SoDakSooner 24-Aug-15
standswittaknife 24-Aug-15
Carnivore 24-Aug-15
Beendare 24-Aug-15
24-Aug-15
I know it is a little late now. But I was training yesterday and started wondering...

How do folks buy and fit hunting backpacks?

For other backpacks, I can go to REI or other stores. They will carry several brands and numerous styles. More importantly, they will have experts on-hand to pick a pack with me and then to fit that pack on me. We can work together to get the perfect pack and the perfect fit.

What about hunting packs? Most folks are forced to buy them on-line. I've been quite disappointed by Cabelas. They didn't seem to have any pack experts around. Did I just catch them on a bad day?

24-Aug-15
When I bought my Kifaru, some questions were asked up front to get my pack in the right "ballpark".

Once I had the pack in hand, the videos on the Kifaru website explained how to tweak for custom fit.

24-Aug-15
Yes, the "big three" (Kifaru, MR and Stone Glacier) have tons of fitting literature and videos out there to walk you through the process. With these companies you give them a few measurements and they get you close. From there, just follow fitting instuctions.

24-Aug-15
Knowing what type of back you have, torso length, height etc helps when ordering. I have a normal back, but if I had a flat back. I would want to be able to adjust the stays. Ex aluminum stays that can be bent to fit the curve of my back. Or lack there of in a flat back.

I personally know kifaru will work with you on getting a good fit for you. I hear stone glacier will work with you as well. I believe Barney's are built individually to the person. There are some videos on how to fit a pack put out by Aron from kifaru.

Cabelas is great for buying outdoor gear. However I do all my own research before buying there. I will leave it at that.

24-Aug-15
Kuiu walks you through it as well via video.

24-Aug-15
Exo mtn gear has a great tutorial as well Aron's videos on rokslide.com

24-Aug-15
I don't think there's a difference between fitting/buying a hunting pack, and a backpacking/mountaineering pack. Hauling 80 pounds is hauling 80 pounds (assuming you know how to distribute the weight).

The differences I AM aware of, is you can get a hunting pack in a camo pattern, and some hunting pack frames can come with several different sizes of bags that attach to the frame. So you can have a small bag to wear while hunting, then swap it out with a large bag for meat hauling or bringing in a backcountry camp.

Another informative resource in addition to those mentioned already can be found at the iTunes store. Listen to the Gritty Bowmen, episode 14, where Aron talks about fitting a pack.

24-Aug-15
You can do all the fitting...but the real test is trying it with weight in it...that tells you where the poor fit points are...

• Sitka Gear