gridlebug 25-Aug-15
Grady 25-Aug-15
HuntingAdict 25-Aug-15
808bowhunter 25-Aug-15
DonVathome 25-Aug-15
cityhunter 25-Aug-15
Beendare 25-Aug-15
25-Aug-15
Follow up to how many trips. What is the max distance you all use while planning a hunt without horses. I know there are many variables to this question but what's your experience.

25-Aug-15
I've had a couple long hauls, haven't measured the distance other than counting beaver dams, last year was 3 beaver dams, hauled a moose out the year before over 4 beaver dams, both hauls left me feeling 100% exhausted, and even a bit ill, so this year I'm training with a weighted pack, I will be ready if I get lucky

25-Aug-15
Years ago a guy told me if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tuff. Well here I am some years later. Not so young but still pretty dumb. Considering I hunt 4 + miles from the truck.

25-Aug-15
Way to vague elevation gain/loss and temps are far more important. I can easily get an elk out 10 miles solo - if flat and cool. I cannot get an elk out 1-1/2 miles if 3000 feet elevation gain and hot.

Also your physical condition and "mental toughness" matter - a lot.

Cool creeks and contractor garbage bags - cool meat fast - can keep a loong time. Best idea ever.

25-Aug-15
2 miles as the crow flies is a long ways when packing a heavy load. Usually not a straight line and lots of little uphills and downhills one doesn't notice going in, but they sure are noticeable when packing out a full pack...8^)

25-Aug-15
If we only hunted 2 miles in we wouldn't have killed many elk.....

25-Aug-15
Must be walking past them...

25-Aug-15
Don is right...2 miles is a bitch if you are gaining 2000 feet or more in elevation.

Most people will not drop all the way down into those holes anyway...so there are always elk there. Don't think I'd want to go much further.

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-Aug-15
Thankfully, virtually every place that I hunt is all downhill for the trip out. Two miles is pretty much my norm, but even with areas that are up to 7 or 8 miles, why go there when the elk are closer?

25-Aug-15
"Must be walking past them..." lol!

All depends on where you hunt. Tons of roads and trails in my area. Between my buddy, son, and myself, I've packed out well over 40 elk. The furthest was 3/4 mi, with the great majority being quite a bit less than that.

25-Aug-15
I've hauled two elk, seven trailless, deadfall covered, swampy miles out. Each time I said I would never do it again. With that said how far you can go depends on how much you are willing to suffer and realistically how fit you are. My partner and I have hiked past the horse packers before. We got some pretty funny looks too. As has already been said, you don't have to go that far to kill an elk.

25-Aug-15
Last year I lost 8 pounds in two days helping a friend make two trips out. We averaged 70 pounds each per trip and it was one mile of deadfall up to our waist and then four miles on fairly decent game trails. Ten miles round trip, twenty miles total. One year is just enough time to forget the pain and do it again.

I haven't gutted an animal in three decades. I debone everything and make an incision behind the last rib to reach in and get the tenderloins. Works great. By not gutting the animal I'm reducing the risk of slipping and injuring myself to a great degree, reducing fly problems as well as bears and coyotes coming in. I've killed some large bulls that netted 180 pounds of boned out meat but rarely more than that. The head is one load if I'm packing it out.

I may be dumb to pack meat that far but I'm smart enough not to have any bones in my pack.

25-Aug-15
I did forget 2 trips for me is meat only - and horns (no skull) a head is a separate trip - easy one, with camp if possible.

I did forget to mention trails vs. deadfalls, also huge difference. So:

1. elevation gain (and loos - ONLY because hiking back in is uphill - mine were mostly downhill and literally the hike back in was usually as bad as hike out because of elevation gain. So a steep downhill is NOT good if you have a return trip.

2. Temps, simply put can you physically get the meat out before it spoils? I also always carry a white garbage bag in addition to a contractor's garbage bag - if hunting in snow it is a great seat to keep my butt dry! Also if sunny I cover game bag I leave - which I always put ins shade but somehow hours later sun is on it, so I leave white bag on top to reflect sun light.

3. Travel conditions trail vs busting brush

4. How good of shape you are in and how much you are willing to handle.

5. Distance.

Another neat tip, I have packed elk down a steep hill in snow, through brush it was was actually a piece of cake, I heavily loaded my pack and used it as a sled. Brush stopped it from running away on me most times and I could actually go faster then just hiking because I leaned downhill and held rope tied to pack to use as a balance worked great! Sleds are awesome when possible.

25-Aug-15
"Must be walking past them..."

TOTALLY depends on what kind of hunt you want, and WHERE you hunt....

25-Aug-15
So many variables, deadfall and elevation gain being huge. Carrying elk downhill on a trail isn't that bad.

Remember to add up the mileage coming and going for trips. Can you do 30 miles a day? If not, then don't kill an elk 5 miles in if you're going to have to do 3 trips by yourself unless you're prepared to take two days to do it. It's ok to bring in a bivy camp and take it 1/2 way over a couple days if you're prepared to keep your meat out there for 2 days, which could be easier or harder depending on the local conditions. You can also leave it out there and take long trips, again, if you're prepared. Bears, the shifting sun, etc, all have to be considered.

I've kept meat in a contractor bag in a creek for several days and it was fine, aired out each night.

Be realistic with yourself. Many flatlanders overestimate themselves in the mountains.

Personally, I would not shoot an elk farther than 5 miles in if solo and the pack back having minimal elevation gain. And I'd take two days to do it.

I've packed an elk up out of a drainage that required over a 1K foot climb up very steep terrain. It's hard to put into words the kind effort involved. It's not just physical - it takes an incredible amount of determination.

25-Aug-15
Anyone care to elaborate on cooling meat with contractor bags and creeks? How well does it work? Not to deter from the the OP's topic!

25-Aug-15
GB,

You put the deboned meat in a contractor bag, seal it up and submerge it in a cool creek during the day. The water will keep the temperature down. Basically, if you can keep the meat temp at or below 55 degrees, you won't get bacteria and spoilage. If you're there at night you can let the meat set out once it's cool and the sun's down.

25-Aug-15
One year in Idaho my friend and I killed two bulls the first night of our hunt 15 mins apart and about 100 yards apart. Gps said 4 miles by way the crow flies and 2,500 feet of elevation drop back to the trail head (at least it was down hill on the way out with full packs). Carried out camp and the back straps/ternderloins trip one, hind quarter and front quarter trip two, and hind quarter, front quarter and horns on trip three. All meat was boned, anything that stayed in the woods over night was just left hanging in the shade, made two trips one day and one trip on the second day. Meat will stay a very long time in the cool breezy mountain air. A partner really makes packing out an elk a lot easier, it can almost be done in one shot or worst case, a return trip to grab the head/horns.

25-Aug-15
My two favorite quotes..."must be walking past them" and "Carrying elk downhill on a trail isn't that bad". ....both very true.

I have used game carts pretty good some places. I saw some guys a couple years ago had a couple 500ft ropes and a winch with some pulleys on an ATV and would haul the whole elk up out of a hole pretty quick. Personally I like to debone them on the spot...gutless. I have carried quarters and it's not good.

25-Aug-15
Terrain matters big time. Last year my brother and I packed 2 bulls out from about 3 miles in. The first 3/4s of a mile to get to a pack trail was much harder than the rest.

25-Aug-15
bags in creeks is awesome! COLD water, contractor bags are TOUGH, double them up to be safe and clear out sharp rocks and if possible lay a fabric to help. There is NO faster way to cool elk in Sept. Even air temps of 30 degrees will not do it was fast. cold creek water will cool many times faster. moisture is the only draw back - your meat is staying moist, which is ok short term (days). Not good long term (week).

25-Aug-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
U can do 4 miles like cake or u can do 2 miles of hell.

This is hell i swore i would have my head examined after this pack out !

25-Aug-15
Yeah, if you can hunt up...and pack down...its a blessing in disguise. It always seems to work out opposite for me....

My worst pack out was in the bear wallow wilderness in Az 27 many years ago...about 2 miles most of it bushwhacking, all uphill. My first load was 127# my buddies 134# on the scale at the butcher in springerville (I will never hear the end of that one). Second load was easy....I limit my loads these days

• Sitka Gear