Bear Track 30-Aug-15
DonVathome 30-Aug-15
Pat C. 30-Aug-15
gil_wy 30-Aug-15
gil_wy 30-Aug-15
Teeton 30-Aug-15
Mule Power 30-Aug-15
26-Aug-15
Being fairly new to elk hunting, I am interested in how you have killed your last (up to 5) elk. Was it by spot-n-stalk, standsitting, calling, or just happened upon the elk. My kills are few, but of the three I've killed, the technique is below. Also, what was your closest "miss"? Misery likes company and I unbelievably missed a broadside bull at 12 yards! He came into to calling and I was so excited I shot way over his back!

Spot/stalk: 0 Calling: 1 Blind/treestand sit: 0 Walked upon (luck?): 2

Closest miss: 12 yards

26-Aug-15
Spot/ stalk: 3, spot/ stalk & call to stop them after they moved 4. Hard to call at all where I go.

26-Aug-15

26-Aug-15
For the last few - Ambush 2, decoy 1, spot stalk 2, calling 1. But of the nearly six dozen my partner and I have killed, we've killed them every way imaginable. Every situation is different.

35 years ago I missed a bull at about 4 yards Shot right under him when I was sitting on my butt and he walked by. I'd never practiced at that close range before.

26-Aug-15
My last 5:

Treestand sit-3

Spot and stalk/calling/decoying-2

When I was younger and dumber, I missed by about 3 inches on a frontal at less than 10 yards, trying to lean out around a small pine tree while on my knees. Stuck in bone, no lethal penetration.

I was not stable, it was stupid, and it sucked!

26-Aug-15
My last 5 elk:

Calling from a natural blind = 3 Spot and stalk = 2

MISSED/BLOWN OPPORTUNITIES: ** These numbers are estimates*

Walking in and not ready yet = 42x

Walking to quickly = 321x

Calling and not looking at the bull behind us = 16x

Having a bull hang up just outside of range = 148x

Getting busted by cows/calfs = 213x

Swirling wind = 205x

Messed up by other hunters = 872x

No shot while in range due to obstructions = 14623x

Missed elk = a few

26-Aug-15
None of the above. My last elk found me.

I was resting half way up a steep avalanche chute listening to a different bull bugling up top and trying to figure out how to get my out of shape carcass up there to that bull. Fortunately, another bull decided to go up nearly the same route and saved me from further climbing.

26-Aug-15
First 4, all cows fell prey to a passive approach. Last 2 bulls fell victim to aggressive tactics. All learned from Elknut1.

26-Aug-15
You are helping me. I figured everyone was calling them in, but it appears that about 50% of the time you are using other tactics. Nice to hear I am not only one who has a miss at close range.

26-Aug-15
Getting a bull tag !

26-Aug-15
Every one was by calling in various ways for various situations. Closest miss was about 20 yards. Well, actually I did hit him! Stuck him in the ear and the arrow went through and bounced off the base of his antler. He sure looked funny running off with my arrow dangling from his ear.

28-Aug-15
The first 4 were all spot & stalk. (We would always go opening week in Colorado which was usually the last week in Aug. & the bulls were still in their bachelor groups).

The last 2 were over waterholes.

28-Aug-15
Calling in a suspected area 4, spot n stalk 1, Treestand 0 , all young bulls, no cows, no monsters, all within 30 yards.

28-Aug-15
My last few were; Decoy/call Call Sneak no calling

28-Aug-15
I called in 4 of my last 5 and stalked in on 2 fighting for number 5. He won the fight, but it didn't do him much good!

29-Aug-15
Picked a spot and shot straight.

29-Aug-15
My best moves are on the dance floor, but when I'm elk hunting my success comes from treestands and blinds. Always solo, but this year I might have a caller.

29-Aug-15
Perseverance and a sense of humor...

29-Aug-15
Of my last 5, three were called in, two were out of my tree stand. As far as my best technique, that varies year to year, day to day, and bull to bull.

Closest miss? I honestly can't remember the yardages, but back in the day, there was more than one. ;-(

29-Aug-15
Of my last 5, two were called in, two spot and stalk and one chasing bugles in the timber. Spot and stalk or chasing bugles are my most common hunting methods.

30-Aug-15
I'm leaving for my first elk in ever and sorry, I don't now how it will end, but may pick this thread up when I get home and let you know.

30-Aug-15
Ussually a combo, by far ambush is best - calm elk, time to range and get ready etc. Stalking in next best.

Calling brings in alert elk but works.

Use them all, many elk hunters are locked into 1 way I have seen great elk hunters totally lost when elk are quite, while my clueless OH butt is into elk daily.

Cover ground. Find a GREAT glassing spot and use it.

30-Aug-15
Stand sleeping!

30-Aug-15
Last 5 harvested bulls...

Spot and stalk/ ambush=2 Called in= 3

I'll use anything except blind/tree stand... My ADHD won't let me use those techniques!

30-Aug-15
Last 5 harvested bulls...

Spot and stalk/ ambush=2 Called in= 3

I'll use anything except blind/tree stand... My ADHD won't let me use those techniques!

30-Aug-15
Of 5,, Last 2 called in, next heard bugling stalked in on him.. 2 others of last 2 was cows, 1 just walk in to me. Maybe came in from my calling. I setup called and took a afternoon break about 45 mins after last call she came walking in. Other saw and stalked in on her. I miss a cow at 35/40 yds.

30-Aug-15
Spot, then stalk, then call to locate again, then ambush. That's my usual scenario.

I missed a 6 point herd bull at 10 yards once. He was on top of a cow at the time and I zinged one right over his back through a little hole in the burnt trees.

• Sitka Gear