OFFHNTN 15-Sep-15
OFFHNTN 15-Sep-15
WapitiBob 15-Sep-15
Jim/WA 18-Sep-15
OFFHNTN 18-Sep-15
Z Barebow 18-Sep-15
3dvapor 19-Sep-15
14-Sep-15
I just hung up with an outfitter friend who I was supposed to hunt with starting Friday in Oregon, flights were booked and I was halfway packed. The hunt is cancelled. I know others have asked this recently too, and this is super short notice but I really had my heart set on an elk hunt again this year! Anyone have any suggestions on cancellation hunts, etc. I could leave Thursday and hunt all the way through next week!

14-Sep-15
DAMMITBOY ! That's tough, hope you find something.

14-Sep-15
try new mex

14-Sep-15
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/buyApply/nowAvailable.html

Over the counter in Montana. Most of the units in region 3 are open to a general tag and support a healthy population of elk. Fly into Butte, or Bozeman, rent a rig and you could be hunting in less than two hours.

14-Sep-15
cabelas outdoor adventures has some cancellation hunts. click on the link on their main web page and look for outfitter specials and cancellation hunts. good luck.

14-Sep-15
If you already have plane tickets, why not rent a car and hunt the general area or somewhere near where you fly into?

14-Sep-15
Flight was into Portland, never hunted Oregon. Fires have things completely messed up so I wouldn't know where to start.

14-Sep-15
You always have CO as a backup. I hunted a brand new area this weekend. Had 3 bulls going Sat morning and almost closed the deal Sunday morning.

15-Sep-15
Rent a car and head east to Enterprise. Check "Steens Adventures" and maybe he could do a drop camp for you in the Eagle Caps.

15-Sep-15
Assuming tags, license, airlines, etc. bought already... hopefully some PM from OR could get you on some kind of track.

Are you looking for an outfitted hunt in OR?

I'm not sure if I would/could eat that kind of money and switch states? Hard to say. Lots of fires for sure.... but I know the whole state isn't on fire..... I have friends who have had great seasons and tagged out already in OR.

15-Sep-15

SteveB's Link
http://www.adventureswestrecreation.com/

This guy has Oregon areas, a good reputation and some openings.

15-Sep-15
Sorry to hear that...Whatever you end up doing John...Good Luck.

15-Sep-15
Offhntn, sorry to hear about ur plans, that I'm sure that you have been looking forward to all summer got canceled. I know not a thing about Oregon. Not sure of how much cash u got into the Oregon part of the hunt.. But if you can't change ur flight plans with out big cost or loss of all of it.. Look into flying to Portland and driving to Idaho. ( Idaho 5 + or - hours from Portland ) Idaho has otc areas and there is a lot more guys on here the bowsite that know Idaho and can help you out. Just a idea. Ed

15-Sep-15
SteveB has a good idea. I looked at the site and there seem to be some good hunts in Oregon. DIY Elk for around 2 grand for 7 days with lodging sounds pretty good. Shawn

15-Sep-15
The fires here and not that bad. We have got some rain and yes even some snow. There is some good advise on this thread and if you know how to find elk you will have a good hunt. PM me if you have questions. We have some great OTC hunts here in oregon.

15-Sep-15
Thanks for all the tips and information guys, I'm checking into all of it! Question, my friend / outfitter was handling the tag, so I never received it. Can I still purchase a tag in Oregon even though the season has started? Or do Outfitters have a certain allotment of tags they have purchased, so I would have to get one through them?

15-Sep-15
Also, I love DIY hunts and actually order them, but don't feel the logistics of flying and having to bring all my camping gear and food are realistic. So I think this will have to be guided, or a drop camp at a minimum.

15-Sep-15
You can buy a gen tag but hunting here sucks. Just had some hacks camp 50 yards from us and walk thru our camp to go hunt.

18-Sep-15
I thought you couldn't buy tags after the season starts. According to the regs, "It is the hunter’s responsibility to purchase the correct tag for each species prior to the first valid date of the tag. Tag sale deadline...is the day before the hunt begins...". Am I missing something?

18-Sep-15
Jim/WA - I never really did get an answer to that question. Regardless, I found a place to go in Idaho. I leave tonight. Thanks.

18-Sep-15
Sorry to hear about this John.

Good luck in ID!

19-Sep-15
You can still buy an elk tag after the season has started just has to be at a odfw headquarters.

• Sitka Gear