Bob H in NH 06-Oct-15
wildwilderness 07-Oct-15
SteveB 07-Oct-15
Shrewski 08-Oct-15
TreeWalker 08-Oct-15
huntingbob 11-Oct-15
2Rocky 14-Oct-15
18-Sep-15
What unit is a good backcountry hunt. Also if anyone can recommend an outfitter. Thanks

18-Sep-15
This is for Elk

18-Sep-15
Rough Country Outfitters out of Glenrock is a great choice. Jim & Deb Shell will do their best to get you on a good bull and they are already having great success this year. 307-436-2304

20-Sep-15

Bowboy's Link
Triple Three Outfitters is another good choice.

20-Sep-15
I will have 6 pts going into next year as well. I don't know all that much about WY units. I e-mailed Craig at Triple 3 and he said his units typically take 2-3 pts to draw. Some of his hunts are on private, so they could be as good as anywhere though. Not sure if I'd burn 6 pts for an area that takes 2, but who knows?

21-Sep-15
I'll second Rough Country Outfitters . Jim and his crew know how to archery hunt elk. One of the best hunts I've been on.

01-Oct-15
Thanks guys

01-Oct-15
I would NOT burn 6 points on an area that takes 2 or 3. Do your 6 point hunt, then in a couple years go the other route once you have accumulated 2-3 points again....

01-Oct-15
+1 Elkaddict

01-Oct-15
It.s your choice but you can't go wrong with Triple 3.

01-Oct-15
Take a friend or son with zero points. WY shares points between hunters applying as a group. Your chance to do a good deed.

04-Oct-15
If anyone is interested in a trophy antelope hunt next year in Wyo and has 6+ pref pts I'd be willing to accompany and help you out in a unit that is reknown for giant bucks. If you PM me I can send some pics of quite a few bucks I've harvested over the past few years in this and other units.

05-Oct-15
I know a small outfitter that only takes 4-5 bowhunters a year and he's 100% on bulls 300"+. Private ranch with a pile of elk on it each fall, pm me if your interested. Takes about 6+ points to draw. It'll be the best bow hunt you will probably ever go on. The only problem you run into is there are to many elk!

06-Oct-15
I thought triple-3 took 5 points for elk?

07-Oct-15

shrewski- I never thought of WY sharing points. I have max elk points and was always wondering what to do. Now I am pretty sure I will be sharing my points with my Son on an archery hunt in a few years!

07-Oct-15
"I thought triple-3 took 5 points for elk?"

Depends on which of his areas.

08-Oct-15
WW-yep, I don't have max elk points but 6 or 7 and I've put my 16 year old son in for a couple three years now and that's our plan.

08-Oct-15
Over the next 12 years in WY, you could hunt twice using 6 points or hunt 4 times using 3 points. Well, with WY point creep on "best and better" units, you probably will need a few more points to return to a better unit.

Some people do not have much time to hunt so are looking to intentionally not draw hunts very often. Building points works great for them. Some people only want to hunt if feel will have a chance at the biggest critter in the state. They can apply for sub-1% odds hunts each year and deal with most likely drawing once every few decades.

I always vote for more hunting and less point building. A stack of points does not guarantee a better hunt. Health rarely improves, especially after age 40.

Skipping hunts for multiple years or decades for what can be a great hunt can end in huge disappointment when that year is when a winter kill is discovered after deadline to apply, moisture is lower so antlers are smaller than most years, fires break out and the area is closed, the temps are higher so critters go nocturnal, the Feds go on strike so your hunt area is blockaded, you twist an ankle, etc.

If you burn 6 points but get a hunt you like that someone else draws with 2 points then so be it if the 2 point hunt is a good hunt for you.

11-Oct-15
I am getting points everywhere I can. If I do this right I will have a good hunt somewhere when I have enough.

14-Oct-15
My Wyoming Elk Strategy has been apply every year and plan on hunting every 2 with a general tag. Most General units have a 30 day archery season prior unless there is an LE hunt during that time. A General Type 1 tag is good for archery or rifle.

Since 2005 I've drawn 7 elk tags and killed 6 bulls. Most were six points with the best being about 300 inch. I think the hunting experience of about 35 days afield in elk country outweighed building points for 6 years.

I think if you find an outfitter you like in a general unit that you can hunt with year after year, that would outweigh a unit you might only hunt once or twice in your lifetime.

• Sitka Gear