Mark Watkins 12-Oct-15
XMan 12-Oct-15
Bowfreak 12-Oct-15
TXHunter 12-Oct-15
TD 12-Oct-15
LaGriz 12-Oct-15
Elkaddict 13-Oct-15
19-Sep-15
Choosing the right hunting partner is more important than your pack. All guys are not ready for a tuff hunt either.

19-Sep-15
Scoot- I am sorry to hear about your experience. MT had my number in 2013. But I was solo.

I know how much you put into elk hunt prep. Just like many folks, you don't take it lightly. Some folks are just not cut out for a high country DIY elk hunt.

19-Sep-15
Sorry to hear about your hunt. It can be difficult to find others as passionate as you are. You gained valuable experience even though it may not be what you were looking for.

However, it's no too early to start thinking about next year. I am!! Maybe a solo hunt is in order?

Keep going and good luck.

19-Sep-15
Scoot,

You might not have had the "right" hunting partners but you did in fact jump into the competitive arena!

And oh by the way, you will have some great hunts coming up at home with your kids again this year!

We look forward to tagging along!

Mark

19-Sep-15
dude

I had a guy LEAVE me first day of elk hunting - we backpacked in and hunted 1/2 day and when I got back to camp that night he'd packed his stuff and went back to TX

LOL !!! funny looking back ..... elk hunting aint easy

20-Sep-15
That's too bad. I'll be honest, I'f that was me and I only had 8 days to hunt elk all year, id have made them tough it out and continued hunting while they stayed back in camp. I would have been a jerk because my hunting/vacation time is just too valuable to quit early.

Of course I would have made the situation very clear even before leaving the house. But hind sight is always 20/20. I've got several friends and I that are going elk hunting next year and I anticipate a few of them giving up early. Some of them did it 4 years ago when we all went. It was a combination of not being prepared mentally and physically. A guy doesn't have to be in super physical condition to elk hunt, but their mind has to be in the game at all times. If it's not, being in great shape means nothing.

20-Sep-15
Sorry to hear. Really enjoyed reading about your elk hunt last year. I have to say though, if I was in the shoes of either of your buddies no way I would have asked you to leave early.

Even if my legs were totally shot I would rather camp in MT for four more days and sit by the camp fire than sit home.

I've gone hiking with friends that were serious climbers (I have zero interest in scaling a mountain just because, the view looks great from the bottom too lol) I relaxed at the camp, took leisurely strolls, and enjoyed being outdoors.

Hope your son gets his deer this year.

20-Sep-15
Scoot-

Sorry, but if this is the worst thing that happens to you all year you've had a helluva year, bud. You'll get one next year, and appreciate it just that much more.

Wednesday morning I'm taking a good, long-time friend to the oncologist who will probably recommend Hospice for him. It's in his bones, and we both know what that could be like. (I helped my dad "out" when he had it...cared for him most of a November...guess I should have complained I didn't get to bowhunt the whitetail rut that year? Some guys were actually surprised I couldn't "just sneak out for a quick" whitetail hunt. Seriously!)

I really suspect this year could end up being similar. Whatever, I'll stick by my friend every second they need me.

Hunting is just hunting. (Remind me of that the next time I'm pouting because I have to change plans because of work, which seldom happens in my line of work.) :-)

I've had people back out early so we headed home early, and I just used my allotted time for something else I enjoy doing.

Good luck.

21-Sep-15
Sorry this happened to you. I know that I'm not physically ready for an elk hunt. However, one guy begs to go along, you finally take him and he wimps out? That's baloney. If I had done that to someone I'd expect to sit in camp while they hunted. Maybe taken a day to rest and tried again. But to ask like that and then want to go home and ruin your trip? That's just wrong. I can't speak for the other guy, but still...

21-Sep-15
Ouch! I be pissed too! I certainly would have brought up the prior agreement before leaving. You live and learn as they say. That dude would never hunt with me again....

21-Sep-15
Yeah......I have this fear as well when I decide to go out west in a year or so. I have friends that hunt, but I dont have any friends that I think would be able to do a western hunt as they struggle to just hunt deer here in Ohio! So.....maybe I will just go solo!!

Sucks that it didn't work out and unfortunatley that is something you cannot really predict......alot of people talk a good game, but crumble when they have to back it up.

21-Sep-15
That sucks. I'm fortunate in that my usual elk hunting partner is a beast, and I'm usually the physical handicap on a hunt :)

I can't imagine giving up though. The reward is well worth the pain. On our first elk hunt I was physically unprepared, and because of a navigational error, we put in 10 miles on our boots in the first day. I was pretty much physically done after that first day. But I stuck with it, we packed into a different spot, and ended up packing out two elk the next 4 days.

There have been multiple packouts where I looked at my buddy and said "Are we really having fun?"

But again, all worth it in the end. Since the first hunt I've been in much better condition for the hunts, and have put in way more miles on subsequent hunts, and I've bought some better gear which helps alleviate some of the smaller aches and pains. Better boots, better pack, etc.

My brother hunted with us this year. After the first morning and evening hunt, he was struggling a little. He's 6'8" and big. Not fat, but just built big, like an offensive lineman. After the first morning, he elected to stay in camp for the morning hunts, and just hunt the evenings, which was usually just a hike to glassing point and watch and wait affair. He did really well I thought. His long stride helped in the end. I bet he took 1/3 less steps than me even though we'd walk the same distance :)

My buddy lost a bull midway through the hunt, and figuratively punched his tag. And my brother was done about then. They both mentioned they could go home at any time, but both also realized I wasn't going home until I had to, or until I punched my tag

We stayed until the bitter end, and I didn't kill. So I'm headed back sometime this week for the final week of the season.

Good luck finding partners for next year. . .

Bake

21-Sep-15
Ouch bad deal sorry to hear it turned out like that.Good luck next yr.Lewis

21-Sep-15
Scoot- sorry to hear about your spoiled adventure. I learned my lesson 3 years ago when one of my long time buddies asked to tag along on my Co elk hunt. After 3 days he was totally spent and telling me how nuts I was for loving such a torture filled activity such as hunting :~). Luckily he was happy to spend the next 4 days hanging out at camp, sleeping and watching movies on his iPad. I just got back from my 4 day elk hunt which is all I will be able to pull off this year as opposed to my usual 10/12 day hunt. Sucks but I take what I can get. Maybe next year.

22-Sep-15
Picking a good hunting partner who is a good attitude is very important. I've never packed in with someone so I can only imagine how bad it would be if things did not go smooth.

I'm not so sure I would've been as nice as you! It's your vacation to and they're the ones I knew what they're getting into the made the mistake not you.

22-Sep-15
I am guessing that was a pretty quiet ride home.....hopefully next year will turn out better and that bull you would have shot this year will be just a little bigger and waiting for you! Sure hope nowiser has a good story to tell since we missed out on yours....

22-Sep-15
Bummer Scoot. For your reasons above, I do most of my hunting alone now. As fun as it is to have buddies come along, I've had my share of issues as well and decided it is not worth the hassle. We all have trips that disappoint us. Makes the great trips all the better. You'll have more great trips...

22-Sep-15
If economically possible, it is my experience that 2 vehicles are the minimum when bringing new people to a hunt. I make it clear that I will stay until the last second of shooting light on the last day that we agreed upon (if necessary).

If I am hunting with a new group, I insist on driving myself (including a trip from MN to ID a couple of years back). For the above reason AND the possibility that I am the person holding the group back.

Sorry for your crappy vacation. I look forward to my yearly western hunt for about 355 days - it would take me a while to cool down also.

22-Sep-15
Sorry to hear that Scoot. Tough deal. I can understand your disappointment. Next time, take me with-at least if I puss out, I'll be the camp bitch for the rest of the trip!

23-Sep-15
From my experience in New Mexico in Wyoming the first two weeks of October will definitely have bugling. Ameoubus Great idea I never thought of that!

23-Sep-15
Scott, didn't se this earlier but sorry to hear about your hunt being ruined. That's a tough pill to swallow. I have a good friend that used to be a hunting buddy, now he's just a friend because of something like this. Some folks just don't take hunts like this as seriously as others and to each their won I guess. To those of us that live and breathe for those 8 days per year it is extremely serious. Hopefully your return trip bears fruit and Karma pays you back for being Mr. Nice Guy. Good luck to you!

P.S. Elk are still bugling here in SD in the Black Hills at that time.

23-Sep-15
That stinks! Another option may have been to drop them off at the Amtrak station.

23-Sep-15
"I hunt alone, yeah

With nobody else...

I hunt alone, yeah

With nobody else....

You know when I hunt alone....

I prefer to be by myself"

Prolly made the right call. Camp wouldn't have been much fun with a guy(s) that didn't want to be there.

Not on elk hunts as all the guys I've gone elk hunting with I'd hunted with before, but have had guys quit and go home on deer hunts. Always good to take a shake down cruise on a good physical "primitive" hunt first before the "big" ones.

Some folks have images of cabins and horses and camp cooks with elk running you over from all directions when you toot on a call. You can warn them.... but some won't get past their image. "really, how hard can it be?" It's honestly kind of odd how few people have ever been in physical situations they just had to grind it out no matter what. Some fold when it comes to it, others take up the challenge and are exhilarated when it's over. "I did it".

Could have been worse.... imagine if it was a fly in DIY moose hunt in AK..... =D

Good luck, you're due, get back out there.... ya can't kill em on the couch.... heheheheh....

23-Sep-15
Scoot, like others have said - sorry to hear that your trip was a bust!

Couple years ago 4 of us went to CO - took 3 points to get drawn and prior to leaving we agreed to hunt through "at least" Friday evening - leave Saturday or Sunday. 3 of us have hunted together several times in the past - one new comer to our group who has rifle elk hunted in the past.

By Wednesday 2 of the guys were just plain worn out, couple that with being over-run by sheep and very few elk sightings, I could tell they had had enough and were "mentally" out of the hunt.

We are all VERY good friends - they never said one word about leaving, however they had a camp fire all day long for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - and they enjoyed just drinking coffee and talking by the camp fire.

On Friday evening (agreed upon last day) about an hour before dark I shot a nice big fat cow - we packed it out Saturday morning and had a nice ride home together.

Really tough to beat GOOD friends.

Not trying to rub salt into your wound - just saying - I could have been in your same situation had they spoke up about leaving Wednesday instead of drinking coffee until Friday.

23-Sep-15
Well, it's a good thing you didn't get one down with that crew.

23-Sep-15
Scoot, two points:

1) My buddy and I have a saying - everyone wants to be a cowboy until it's time to do cowboy work.

2) I did one late season, November elk hunt and my guide cow called and social rag bugle and the bulls responded. They didn't always bugle but would come in silent.

Good luck in Oct. After going in Oct, from now on you'll want to go in Sept AND Oct! :-)

23-Sep-15
Scoot,

That's a bummer. By the 9th of October you will still have a few cows in heat and some bugling. The bulls will have a radar lock on any cow in heat and won't leave her side. Some of the bigger bulls will have already gone off by themselves.

I'd go if I were you.

24-Sep-15
TD--did you use to manage the Yankees? haha

Sorry to see ya had a bad experience Scott.

Most of the guys I share hunt camp with come from out of state so they all drive and of course I drive in solo to camp....

When I hunt with local guys and we travel, I always strongly suggest we bring our own camp and vehicle--- always has worked well for me over many years in many states.

Go for it in October for sure! Ya don't need bugling elk to harvest one----

Good luck, Robb

24-Sep-15
Had a similar experience this year with weather and tough-to-find animals. After a year of anticipation, it was tough to live with the wind, hail, rain, and snow that met us, especially with no elk bugles being mixed-in.

But ... I went hunting this year with two other guys who before this didn't know each other, and we had a GREAT time. I, too, enjoy hunting by myself, but it was the company that made my trip good this year.

In fact, it was about the only good thing about this year's hunt!

24-Sep-15
Learn and move on. That is your only option and letting the emotions effect how long it takes to get there is counterproductive. Sounds like your already there anyway.

24-Sep-15
I hunt alone mostly and really like it.

12-Oct-15
Just saw this, Scoot. Bummer! Nothing like an elk hunt to find out what someone really has inside. Been there with not quite as bad an outcome. When my partner is not having fun, I'm not having fun and that's why I prefer solo now. I would most likely never take a newbie unless, like Amoebus suggested, they take their own truck.

I bet the crappy weather only exacerbated things. Glad you were able to get back out and get some of the hunt back! Did you take one of your old partners this trip?

12-Oct-15
Hey Scott, Sorry to hear about your first go'round. That sucks, I've been in a similar situation before and it sure ruins the mood. Glad you were able to make a return trip and finish with a "successful" hunt even if you didn't punch a tag! Drive safe! I bet you are getting some serious MPG on the way home with this 40-60mph tail wind! :)

12-Oct-15
Thanks for checking in Scoot. I was thinking about you this AM and was wondering where you were at. (Hunting, driving, home, or processed bear food!) Looking forward to the report.

And per John, just put in neutral. The wind will take you home!

12-Oct-15
Good one TD.

"I hunt alone, yeah

With nobody else...

I hunt alone, yeah

With nobody else....

You know when I hunt alone....

I prefer to be by myself"

Mind if I borrow that one.

12-Oct-15
Scoot, Good to hear! We look forward to your write up and pics!

Travel safe,

Mark

12-Oct-15
I would have driven both their asses to either a rental car facility or the airport and said goodbye. Then gone on the bowsite to see who is hunting the area and wanted to team up. No way I would quit a hunt on someone, it takes so much planning and time, cost, and effort. Sorry Scoot, hope you can get out there again next year with better partners.

12-Oct-15
Scoot,

Sorry about your misfortune but I guess it is just a reminder that most guys posting on this forum aren't weekend warriors. It is much more serious than that.

It is funny how we are wired different. I went on my first elk hunt this year and even though I fared quite well physically I immediately saw that I was not where I want to be. I was able to do what I needed to do but I plan on being in WAY better shape the next time. Having my butt physically kicked like your friends would have just made work even harder as I would tell myself that I would never be in that situation again.

12-Oct-15
Hunted with a good friend in WY a few years back. He was ready to quit about halfway through the pack in to the hunting spot. 10 years younger than me and in 3X better shape. I looked him in the eyes and said "I didn't come 1300 miles to quit on the first day. You are younger and stronger than me. If I can do it, you can do it. It's all in your mind. Now, come on, let's go hunting."

He turned his attitude around right then and there and we had a good 6 day hunt.

I was proud of him and he learned something very valuable about himself on that trip. Namely, if there's a will there's a way.

12-Oct-15
Not a problem OTT2..... I shamelessly stole it from George Thorogood.... but he was singing about drinking.... many similarities when you think about it...

12-Oct-15
Td... Loved the George Thorogood hijack!

Scoot, I'm sorry for your disappointment. I want to tell you how far I went to not be a kill-joy on our NM hunt.4 guys on the team with $1200 out of pocket each in fees and tags. The plan: 3 hunters from LA. and 1 flying in from Vermont. Ages of the hunters from 60- 73 years. 5 weeks before the hunt, I come down with "Atrial Fib" (heart arrhythmia)and I'm one of the of the 2 drivers with most of the camping gear. I postponed treatment and went anyway! That's how much I'm into this stuff! One hunter can't make it due to work load and personnel changes. He too was a driver. The 73 year old ended up driving alone and I picked up the Vermonter as planned. Camp is built and the hunt is on. Day 3 two guests and friends of the Sr. guy show up to help out for 2-3 days. On day 5 a falling out between the my two partners takes place. (the two guests leave at noon and I spend the day looking for my buddy who is MIA)this leads to the Sr. Guy's announcement he is done and heading home in the AM. I'm the ride for the remaining guy and good friends with both. It felt like a morgue in camp that night. I stayed behind, electing to help my friend pack up and walk him out,loosing another half day of hunting over the incident. My remaining partner and I patch up the bad feelings and try and salvage the hunt. We get into some elk again. On day 8 a "Bear-with-hounds" season opens up and I am actually struck by a bear hound at my wallow blowing my set up! On day 9 we return to that high country after the rain I get stuck and a Bear hunter wenches me out! We get close to bulls on the last morning and shut down the hunt at 1PM. The feeling I get is I may never hunt with either guy again through no fault of my own. So far we are still talking and things appear decent. As you get older every you realize that any elk hunt may be your last. This adds to the pressure of getting to and from, and any problems with personalities are magnified. I have since got my heart rhythm straightened out with an "Ablation" procedure and I'm golden! As for next years plans....who knows!

LaGriz

13-Oct-15
Scoot, I'll be headed through NoDak in a little over a week for the rifle opener in MT. My archery hunt there wasn't good either. Have your stuff ready I'll pick you up.

• Sitka Gear