LUNG$HOT 21-Sep-15
Coyote 65 21-Sep-15
Hellrazor 21-Sep-15
Cottonwood88 21-Sep-15
Mark Watkins 21-Sep-15
NoWiser 21-Sep-15
AZBUGLER 21-Sep-15
20-Sep-15
I am 49 years old. I have just returned from my 7th archery elk hunt. I got home less than one week ago. Elk meat is in the freezer and a grilling celebration w/tenderloin has been completed.

It is Sept. 20th. I have 3 deer tags in my pack, a fall turkey tag, and I can go buy/acquire (Free) my MN archery license for deer (I bought a lifetime license.)

Yet here I am. Less than one week after returning home, I am visiting a state website formulating strategies for a 2016 elk application. I will not likely hit the deer woods until October. I am still coming down from elk hunt and trying to catch up around the house and work. And when I do hit the woods, deer season just seems to take up time in between elk hunts. Yes deer hunting is fun, but not in the same neighborhood as an elk hunt.

Whatever is wrong with me, I hope they never find a cure!

20-Sep-15
You have elk fever and the only cure is more tags lol!

20-Sep-15
Don't feel bad I sold the house packed up the wife and bought a house in the middle of NM elk country. Might not draw a tag for the next 20 years but I'm where I want to be !!

20-Sep-15
Actually killing an elk might create that fever. I am feeling something different...frustration! I have 1 more weekend to get it done but my hopes aren't high!

20-Sep-15
Nothing is wrong with you. I've only gone on one elk hunting trip and I'd give up whitetails if I could move out west to hunt elk all of the time.

I'll be out there next year Lord willing.

21-Sep-15
Wow jdee! Thats like building a totally custom hot rod and not having the key to start it up and drive the thing. Why not buy a house in a state you can actually hunt with some certainty??

21-Sep-15
Looking into the crystal ball....I see..... multiple states in your future...... LOL!

21-Sep-15
ND will do that to a guy.

21-Sep-15
I know the feeling

21-Sep-15
Z Barebow, I have a similar problem but it's with whitetails, not elk. I lived in New Mexico for awhile and I saw lots of elk and mule deer. I hunted them all the time with a camera in hand and I even got a few mule deer tags filled. I never drew an elk tag, so I never got to feel the kill part of the hunt. Perhaps that would have changed me. The deer back east is what cranks my chain. Especially a mature buck.

21-Sep-15
Same for me. I'm already counting down the days until next season

21-Sep-15
Amen, I got a fever, and the only cure is more elk tags!

21-Sep-15
Wow, it's nice knowing I'm not the only one! I didn't even pick up my deer tag yet! I've taken two kids out this week, and seeing the excitement on a successful young hunter face renewed my desire for the deed hunt.... Picking up my tag today! Can't wait! Take a new or young hunter out!!! It's a cure all!

21-Sep-15
ELK definitely get in yer blood........

21-Sep-15
your feet smell

21-Sep-15
Fuzzy- I knew I left the barn door open with my thread title. Believe me, you have just scratched the surface!

21-Sep-15
I know how you feel lol I am scouring google earth scouting for next years elk hunt! I will elk hunt every year that God gives me the strength to make the trip. I'm also looking into hunting other states for elk. No cure wanted!

21-Sep-15
Lung$hot it wouldn't be beautiful New Mexico.

My old neighbor gets 4 LO tags a year for his ranch and I'm sure we'll strike up some kind of deal in the future.

21-Sep-15
"My old neighbor gets 4 LO tags a year for his ranch and I'm sure we'll strike up some kind of deal in the future."

Nice!!

21-Sep-15
Whitetail and Mule deer don't sing. I don't think there is much that is more exciting than a bull hitting those high notes and then hitting that low growl at the end of bugle.

Terry

21-Sep-15
First of all congratulations. You have what is called ELK FEVER. There is no known cure except more elk hunting.

21-Sep-15
Oh man, after my first elk hunt I will miss the physical side if it...sometimes I feel pretty lazy sitting in a tree. I look forward to my next elk hunt but I'll always love my whitetail!

21-Sep-15
A huge congrats Z Barebow!

Lets see some pics and hear a few stories!

Mark

21-Sep-15
Congrats on the elk, and I feel your pain!

If you think you have it bad, I had to spend 17 days in New Mexico this year WITHOUT a tag in my pocket! My dad and uncle drew tags and I went down to help them out. It was a blast, but it's pure torture to be in the middle of a bunch of screaming bulls with nothing in your hands except a grunt tube. I wanted to just scream right back at them out of pure frustration!

Now that I'm home, I'm absolutely giddy about next year, and I'm wracking my brain trying to decide how to play the application game. Do I get the Wyoming general tag with my two points knowing if I draw NM or AZ I'll have to eat the tag? Do I break the bank and give Montana a shot? Do I check out the high country in Colorado? I've been itching to see Idaho, as well, can I pull off a good hunt there? I understand where you are coming from. A guy can lose sleep over this stuff!

21-Sep-15
They get under your skin until nothing else is the same! It's just crazy that it only comes around once a year.

• Sitka Gear