alce 21-Sep-15
CAS_HNTR 21-Sep-15
CAS_HNTR 23-Sep-15
Zbone 23-Sep-15
LINK 23-Sep-15
Sean D. 23-Sep-15
CAS_HNTR 23-Sep-15
21-Sep-15
I am working on growing some gamble oaks (scrub/brush oaks) and was hoping some residents of CO/UT may be able to gather some and send them to me!! I don't need 1000, just a few dozen would be good. I cannot get them here in Ohio, so any help would be great!

21-Sep-15
Is it legal to import a non-native species into Ohio? Mike

21-Sep-15
It's not an invasive species from a across the ocean.....they are in most arboretums across the US and can be purchased and shipped. Heck....they sell sawtooth oaks from nearly all sources and they ARE from across the pond.

They likley will all die as it's too wet in Ohio.....but I want to try!

21-Sep-15
Do you want them picked off the bush or when they have fallen naturally to the ground?

Also any special packaging or postage?

21-Sep-15
They have to be mature.....getting them off the tree is best, but they should come out of the cap pretty easily. If you have to cut the cap off, they are not ready.

The closer to off the tree the better as bugs get into them on the ground sometimes. If you do pick them off the ground, look for holes in them or ones that seem too light for their size......heavy is good!

A flat rate box for $6 is the easiest way to ship.....stick them in a ziploc bag, toss in box, done!

21-Sep-15
LOTS of gamble oak in AZ and NM too. I've seen gamble oak with greater than 3' dia. tree trunks in NM.

Saw acorns a few weeks ago that were as big as their eastern cousins from all the rain, but didn't pick any up unfortunately.

The amount of precip in Ohio could easily be overcome if there was sufficient sun and well drained soils, as I've seen lots of gamble oak grow in areas that are over 30" of annual rain in NM, but they were on south facing slopes (the biggest difference between the east and mountains in the west is the evap rate, not precip). But with a little extra care, you can probably get them to grow in your area, it's worth a try...

Good luck!

21-Sep-15
Well.....guess I don't care where they come from.......just hoping to get some!

23-Sep-15
Anyone??

23-Sep-15
Once dug up a small sage brush plant and brought it to Ohio and planted it. Heck the root system was twice or 3 times as long as the little plant... Didn't survive...

23-Sep-15
Zbone I'll sell you all the sage brush and yucca plants you want. At 1$ a piece it wouldn't take me long to get a nice pile of cash. You dig them up of course. :) I've also got a nice stash of ragweed if your interested.

23-Sep-15
I tried this a few years ago, brought a bunch home with me but was never able to get any established!

23-Sep-15
I started some (10) last year and they are about 2 feet tall right now......hoping to get about 50 total planted on a little ridge with some added spruce to create nice bedding/browse

• Sitka Gear