SteveB 22-Sep-15
elkstabber 23-Sep-15
DonVathome 23-Sep-15
Shiras 23-Sep-15
DonVathome 23-Sep-15
Shiras 23-Sep-15
Rick M 23-Sep-15
22-Sep-15
I will be hunting the first muzzleloader season with my longbow from 10/17-21 in unit 15 New Mexico. I've never really hunted elk this late and could use some advice on tactics.

Will be hunting my friends ranch that they purchased earlier this year in unit 15 so we don't really know the place very well. He did have a pond put in.

Will they be in a secondary rut? Would calling still be effective? Can we expect to hear much bugling? Would hunting water be a good choice?

I appreciate anything you can give me here.

Thanks,

Matt

22-Sep-15
Matt, I don't have any answers for you, but you are one lucky guy!!

22-Sep-15

23-Sep-15
I hunted 15 early archery with my recurve. It was my first time in southern NM. Depending on the ranch I'd expect to either spot and stalk or watch water.

23-Sep-15
I hunted 15 a couple years ago the week before you and they were definitely still buggling. One week later will make a difference but they will definitely still be talking. Find high spots and glass depending on how dry it is water could be a good option.

Can't you hunt a week or two sooner? I thought when you hunted a private ranch you could select any five days?

23-Sep-15
Don, the earliest muzzleloader season is 10/17 this year. We took the first one we could. The good part is there won't be any seasons going between the end of Sept and then other than a youth hunt. Elk should be pretty calm.

23-Sep-15
Odd, same deal for a RO tag in 36 - earliest 5 day time slot is 10/17 - but my tag (drawn - UW) has a season opener of 10/10

You will hear buggles but not a lot.

23-Sep-15
Thanks Don!

23-Sep-15
Glass, spot and stalk.

• Sitka Gear