JLS 24-Sep-15
Eric B. 25-Sep-15
Norseman 25-Sep-15
Sage of the Sage2 25-Sep-15
Fuzzy 25-Sep-15
midwest 25-Sep-15
Norseman 25-Sep-15
23-Sep-15
Three times in the last three years I have had bulls gather up there cows and run off when I challenged them. Each time was under 70 yards. The most recent was Saturday evening.

I worked down a ridge onto a herd we had been following all day. I got within 35 yards of bedded cows. The bull was below them in a pocket of thick timber. Set up in a stringer of timber above them and challenge bugled. The herd bull got up and growled, coming in. I was at full draw when he came out at 40 yards, but he just rounded up his cows and took off down the hill.

What gives? Any ideas what I need to do differently?

23-Sep-15
Cow call instead of bugle, he is looking for love, not a fight.

Terry

23-Sep-15
A bull is more likely to come in to a challenger if he is above/higher. So if the wind lets you, call from below.

However, I have noticed in OTC areas the bulls all prefer to run away with their cows. I would try an estrus cow call at this point in that situation.

The other option is to get IN BETWEEN him and his cows. you may spook a few cows doing it, but if you can convince him you are another bull and he truly is the dominate herd bull, he will come in. the risk is you blow the whole herd out!

That close you need to be really good with your bugling, grunting, and glunking.

Overall if you can, the best option is to go in Silent and shoot the bull!

23-Sep-15
Your calling.

23-Sep-15
Learn from your mistakes. Cow calls work much better than bugling. If you are set on bugling imitate a spike or immature bull. Good luck

23-Sep-15
Everybody under the sun thinks that they are an elk calling world champion. TV shows hype up bugling at elk, and in my opinion especially in heavily hunted areas the bulls almost always boogie. They do this for several reasons IMO, one is they feel you are probably a hunter as they have heard this over and over from hunters, secondly I will put it like this. You are out to dinner and drinks with your wife, some big bad drunk dude comes over and is giving you grief making comments about your wife, you etc. Most of the time all of us, are going to get our check and leave and avoid the confrontation. That is exactly what these bulls are doing, they already have their cows and have zero desire to fight. It is much easier to herd them up, hook them up the hill and avoid confrontation.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather get the check head home and have some fun in the bedroom than get into a bar fight.

Use bugles for locators and that is it, get in close and cow call all sexy and slutty like and brace yourself for a show.

23-Sep-15
I'd either cow call or not call at all in that close. If it was a lone bull I'd try and cow call him in. If it was a bull with cows I'd flank the herd and wait for the bull to make a mistake and do as much as I could to make sure they didn't know I was there. As others have said, there's little incentive to fight if they have their cows. Of course there are situations where it will work and a bull will come running, but my preference would to be either cow call or not call.

23-Sep-15
Are you just starting with a challenge bugle? I've had very good luck with a bugle but I will usually start with a couple of soft, mellow cow calls, maybe even a light raking on a tree. See what he does then challenge accordingly.

23-Sep-15
Here is what I would do next time. Slide in like you did. Cow call away from him. When he bugles fire right back at him will all you got and come to full draw. It will happen fast if it happens. Good luck . Hunt

23-Sep-15
Hunt,

That's pretty close to what I did this time. I cow called a few times, nice and whiny. Then I gave a good cow squeal and then fired off a bugle. He immediately responded with a growl and then a scream.

23-Sep-15
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am no calling champion, but I certainly don't think I'm a slouch either.

In one of the previous instances, I was in the middle of the herd as they were spread across a ridge top meadow. I had a 50 yard shot at the herd bull, but also had cows in front of me and behind me. I thought this was a gimme situation, and had my calling buddy fire off a bugle. The bull grabbed the front few cows and took off, leaving the rest.

23-Sep-15
Some times they just don't want to fight. If it was a Kelly Harris bull it would be dead:) . But he must of a lover and RUNOFT no matter what. Montana? Hunt

23-Sep-15
Yes, Montana. Waiting was not an option, the shadows were starting to get a little long and I knew the winds would not stay stable for very long.

It's just puzzling me why this tactic isn't working worth a hoot for me as of late. One of my buddies and I snuck within 50 yards of a bull and a cow two years ago. He bugled once and the bull came right in and got shot at 10 yards.

Go figure.

24-Sep-15
Bugling is usually my last resort, I will try everything else first and still only bugle if I am running out of light. If you are hunting a big private ranch with no pressure I think it might work like you see on the videos.

24-Sep-15
My take; We have been conditioned to think that buying and using this or that call is the way to go....if it doesn't work its OUR FAULT.

Well I'm here to tell you its not always your fault as in many cases of OTC hunting there are so many hunters that blowing a call of any kind gets them moving. When in doubt- rely on your hunting skills. Some of the propaganda pushing the call! call!! call!!! strategy doesn't always work in heavily hunted ground.

Now, that said, I have had a lot of luck with the getting close and challenging.....but its more of a scream at the cows...than a typical bugle.

Just did it last week, 60yds from herd, screamed at the cows and the herd bull came...BUT....and its a big BUT.....#1 the bull knew right where I was...and it was thick dark timber so even though he stopped short at 25 yds I had zero shot. #2 the jig was up as now I had no other options.

In that same scenario a really nice 300" satellite moved across in front of me quickly too...but again it was so thick I had no shot. [and this coming from a guy that can usually thread one through there!]

I did have a dumb azz spike come in and wander around me as close as 10'....but after seeing the crusher and respectable satellite....I elected to let him walk- spooked him trying to dig out my camera....

24-Sep-15
I'm no expert, far from it. Hunting with an outfitter had a bull run his cows over the hill away from us, THEN come back to fight. Maybe give him time?

24-Sep-15
64 dollar question. If I had the answer, I would have incurred a taxidermy bill!

Somewhat similar scenarios for me this year.

#1- Located a bull at the distance of hearing limits. Cut the distance. He bugled on his own for the most part, but I bugled at got a response ~ 250 yards. Worked in and when he bugled, I was close. (~ 80 yards or less) Couldn't see him but set up decoy, cow called, and ran up 40 yards. Nothing. Until 10 minutes later, he is 300 + yards away and moving. What went wrong? On thing I can think of is his girlfriends didn't want the competition and drug him away.

Not to worry, more bulls bugling. Moved to the next bugles.

#2- Had 3 herd bulls within a 1/4-3/8 mi area (In timber). Things were hot. One bull had a satellite pestering him. I dropped into the hole and got to within 75 yards of bull #1's cows. I got ready and did the bull calling cows bugle. (They had no clue I was there prior to my bugle). What did they do? The herd walked away. (Finally backed out due to T storm and swirling winds)

Like you, I won't win a calling contests, but I think I can call fairly decent. What would I do different in each instance? I am not sure.

24-Sep-15
"Three times in the last three years I have had bulls gather up there cows and run off when I challenged them"

stop doing that then

cow call, or small bull squeal or wait ....

24-Sep-15
Stop calling. Shadow until things change. They get more aggressive the closer they get to bedding areas

24-Sep-15
Norseman,

This most recent time was right in a bedding area.

25-Sep-15
Be aggressive, bust into the group of cows and scream directly at the bull. He Will come in. Picture another bull coming in to steal cows. You are the other bull! Don't worry about the cows spooking. Don't let the bull see you though. Action will be fast!

25-Sep-15
JLS, All I can tell you is you are not alone. this scenerio you have laid out has happened to me over 100 times. I have got as frustrated as you..and more some. I have done the bugle back and sprint to catch up to the herd over many many miles of ridges and canyons in my 20 years of hunting elk. I have learned there is no need to bugle if he is not responding and coming to you or holding his ground for a challenge.

Change things up. don't call and shadow and let things settle down, or loop up ahead by jogging for 20 minutes to get up and cross wind from the herd then knife in from the side. Don't even cow call until things have settle down.

I believe there are lead cows with the herd that don't want a confrotation and will start leading the herd out of there when they hear challanging bugles, and even cow calls.

In the later morning the herd will slow down as the thermals change or start to swirl. At this point you have a small window of time to make things happen. In the evening the herd is usually on a mission to go somewhere after they get out of bed and don't give a hoot about calls. I strictly spot and stalk in the evening, or sit a water hole, saddle,etc.

Elk are elk, and are most of the time SOBs, don't beat yourself up, just create the most repetitions of close encounters as you can and the odds will change.

25-Sep-15
Two ideas: try bugling in a higher pitched, shorter length bugle w/ out chuckles. You might be sounding bigger than the bull you're after. If he has a doubt that he can hold his herd he'll git.

The other idea is that I think many, perhaps most, bulls older than about about 2 have heard hunters bugle and busted them. The result is their keen ears have learned to tell slight differences. Perhaps instead of bugling, just break branches and rack a tree.

I've certainly seen elk become more call shy over the years. I've gotten to where, if I'm in close and the wind is good and consistent, I'll just hang tight and quietly wait for them to make a mistake. They move around, hopefully browsing into a good shooting position.

25-Sep-15
ask your wife

25-Sep-15
My last few days in Wyo, I put the calls away except for some location bugles. Even the raghorns were call shy. My elk hunting style changed from chasing bugles to finding funnels in transition areas and planting my butt there during prime times hoping to be able to ambush one or make a sneak on one close by. Almost paid off on a big 6 but at the last 50 yards he made a turn slightly downhill from me and got my scent.

25-Sep-15
Fuzzy...you trying to get on the "Best Bowsite Quotes" thread? lol

• Sitka Gear