orionsbrother 27-Sep-15
Blacktail Bob 28-Sep-15
Tracker12 28-Sep-15
Jaquomo 28-Sep-15
JohnB 28-Sep-15
CurveBow 30-Sep-15
elkmtngear 30-Sep-15
24-Sep-15
Despite the title of this thread, I am not despondent about the outcome of my hunt. I'm just tired and not creative enough to come up with anything else tying this to last year's hunt thread.

I had a great hunt with some great guys. We had some opportunities. We just didn't punch our tags in the time that I was out there. I am sure that they will score in the next week.

Things were tough trying to get out the door again this year. Even more difficult than last year. Problems with work and my wife's job piled up immediately prior to departure.

We had drawn LE permits, but my buddies discovered that the area we were intending to hunt and had invested time and energy into was packed with hunters. The kicker was when my buddy "Chuck" was at the grocery store and the affable cashier talked about another group of six guys that were just in the store. They were heading out for an elk hunt too...and she proceeded to detail exactly where we were heading. We opted for "Plan B".

We found lower hunter density, but the guys that were in the area had a habit of appearing in our midst time and again.

I passed on a 40yd shot opportunity on a cow early in the hunt. "UpChuck" passed on a 27yd shot opportunity on a 5pt.

I had injured my right heel which made for some regular acetaminophen and ibuprofen snacks.

"Little Chuck" had to pull out of the hunt part way through to deal with echoing repercussions of a death in his family.

The last full day we hunted, "UpChuck" and I napped in the sun in a small grove of Aspens, Jack Pines and Junipers before the afternoon hunt. After nine days of pushing hard, we were tired. The end of this hunt was looming. We ended up talking about some of the serious family issues he was wrestling with, some of the challenges that I'm wrestling with.

I screwed the pooch. I let some of the demons back into my head at a counterproductive and ineffective time.

That evening, I made a bad choice and moved from my position in a set up to intercept a bull we had been chasing that wasn't responding to calls well. Had I just remained in that spot, I probably would've had a shot of less than 20yds.

Do I wish that I'd stayed put? Yep. I would be proud to have my hands on that bull.

Am I dejected? Nope. I had a great hunt, even if it was a bit of a "character builder". Right now, I wish that I was still gritting my teeth as my heel came down on a rock.

My wife often describes me as "a stubborn jackass". I prefer tenacious. It rolls off the tongue nicely.

My 2016 Elk Season started yesterday on the sledding hill.

I hope that you are all having great, safe and exciting seasons.

Short bloodtrails.

24-Sep-15
You write like I think. I think like you write. That make sense? I didn't think so.

Sounds like you had a great time even if you didn't stab a bull. I enjoy reading your posts. Better luck in the deer woods, Rick.

Oh, and you have a cool name.

24-Sep-15
Regret the things you haven't done. Any elk hunt is a great elk hunt

24-Sep-15
No regrets other than moving on that last evening hunt. And I'm OK, even with that. Sometimes you just have to learn lessons as they come, with a little sting.

Some magical mornings and evenings though.

Deer season opens in seven days, EmbryO. Shifting gears and getting at it soon. Thanks. I like your name too. Looking forward to hearing about your season.

24-Sep-15
My worst day hunting, has been far superior to my best day at work.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Tony

24-Sep-15
Sounds like you had a great hunt with the buds! Our area was overrun in southern Colorado this year too! Still enjoyed the hunt but it would've been better with fewer folks!

24-Sep-15
I enjoyed this read.

There's a ton of truth in hunting, not everyone finds it.

You had a great time and good hunt. Onto 2016!

24-Sep-15
Tenacious huh ? I'll have to remember that ! Remember, the fat lady ain't sung 'til they throw dirt in your face. Good luck in the future, you have the right attitude.

24-Sep-15
Yet, if you would have just manscaped.......

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good hunt, tag soup or not. Tenacious, I like that, but kinda sounds like a rapper name.... sure beats being called stupid.... I get that a lot....

Here's to the rest of the season.... and those in the future.... CLINK!

24-Sep-15
nice post... I don't elk hunt, yet somehow I can relate to all the other stuff going on. That's life. God Bless

24-Sep-15
"Yet, if you would have just manscaped....... "

I'll have you know that while honing my broadheads, I checked their hair popping status on my left forearm. I cleared off a good two inch by four inch patch. It's kinda stubbly now, but two weeks ago at least part of me looked like you could call me Sprocket and that I'd be into Euro-Techno Trash Music.

24-Sep-15
I'll kill one in your honor Rick.

But I'm going to stick with "stubborn jackass."

24-Sep-15
You're in good company Ike. You brightened the wife's evening too.

I hope you put a monster on the ground. I'll be following your thread. Good luck brother.

24-Sep-15
Sounds like you had a great time. The words you speak sound like those spoke with the comfort of being content in your feelings. Good luck hunting and may God Bless you and your family in the future.

25-Sep-15
Cut short our elk hunt by three days because of stuff back home but the good thing about most bowhunters is we know how to be still in the woods and really listen to everything including our self. Going to Royals game tonight with friend who has stage 4 cancer, my tag soup can't compare.

25-Sep-15
Good thread and final thoughts.

I too enjoy your threads.

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

25-Sep-15
I was 60 before I realized a hunt can be successful when no game was taken. I now plan my hunts to be vacations (mostly:)). I am still as intent as ever on killing something but seem to value hunts better these days.

25-Sep-15
I think one thing that many guys would benefit from is the fact that there are very few, if any, public land hunts where you won't be around other hunters.

There are things you can do to have less but to rid yourself of other hunters - not likely.

The other thing is less than 10% of bowhunters are successful. While some tag out regularly most don't so know going in that your odds are against you.

Enjoy the hunt, the time off and recharge yourself.

We ALL want to tag out. Otherwise we wouldn't carry a bow to the woods but if you enjoy all aspects of the hunt (which it looks like you did) you will be happier - especially when you do punch that tag.

The worst person to hunt with IMHO is someone who is grouchy until they tag out.

Thanks for sharing - always like to hear others reports.

25-Sep-15
Rick, I find it funny when I come back to work and have to tell all the non-elk hunters I didn't kill anything but had a fantastic hunt and can't wait 'till next year. They always look at me funny and shake their head. I don't even try to explain anymore.

"Right now, I wish that I was still gritting my teeth as my heel came down on a rock."

Haha...coming back from Wyo, I had to take my shoes off because my feet were swollen up like balloons. My big toenails will turn black, fall off in several months and almost heal up just in time for next years hunt.

25-Sep-15
Rick, Also just thought of something....I don't know you but thought of you often when stopping to rest on the long, predawn hikes. Damn, those stars are so bright.... oh, look, Orions belt! lol

25-Sep-15
"The worst person to hunt with IMHO is someone who is grouchy until they tag out."

I'm with you Sage. Not interested in spending quality time with anyone who needs an attitude adjustment.

And my buddies are top quality guys. Even when "Chuck" had a magnificent bull coming in until a couple of guys appeared blowing cow calls like kazoos, we just grimaced, shook our heads and moved on. No temper tantrums and drama.

They'll fill their tags and beat the odds. It might just take a little more time and effort.

I fully understand and appreciate the gift of spending time hunting with guys of that caliber and temperament. I am very fortunate.

25-Sep-15

orionsbrother's embedded Photo
orionsbrother's embedded Photo
Midwest - I check out those stars every chance that I can.

Good luck with the toenails. Regular people won't ever understand. A neighbor's wife was incredulous that I'd really enjoyed myself on a trip with an unfilled tag. I told her that it was as though I'd done a bunch of adrenaline filled hikes in beautiful country with great guys.

25-Sep-15
Great perspectives here. Nothing like looking up at Orion while you're huffing and puffing up the ridge in the dark to get on that bugling bull.

26-Sep-15
I had tenacious in my elbow once...

Couldn't agree more about having good hunting partners. Attitude is everything, plus any day hunting sure beats working.

27-Sep-15
Who is the happiest Bowhunter of all? Is it indeed the one with the most unfilled tags?

I recently finished a hunt with a Bowhunter, literally, and he didn't fill his tag. He didn't impress me as being particularly happy about it either. What's up with that?

27-Sep-15
I filled my tag and man was I pissed off about it!!!

27-Sep-15
I wouldn't say that I'm happy to have my tag unfilled, Bob. I would've preferred to have killed that bull on that last evening hunt.

But I'm not broken up or sulking. I had a great hunt. Just no kill.

My buddy and his daughter worked that bull this weekend. Close, but no cigar. They're going back after him later this week. I'm hoping and predicting that they'll get it done.

If there's anything that I'd like to whine about, it's that I'm not independently wealthy and better looking so that I could still be chasing them.

Instead, I'm starting to work towards freeing up more time for next season.

27-Sep-15
The six year old was breaking my balls about the need to ration the elk in our freezer though.

So some in the house are sharing in the sting of my error.

28-Sep-15
I admire the way you cherish the hunt. I have to admit, however, I really am happier when I fill my tag. I think you're like me though and would rather have an unfilled tag, cherished the hunt and not simply just killed something, one way or another, to have filled the tag.

28-Sep-15
I think you are missing the point. I think everyone is happier when they fill their tag. Pretty easy to agree on that one. But if you don't that doesn't mean you still did not enjoy the hunt.

28-Sep-15
I hunted 26 days, almost all solo (except when I helped the one and only hunter I actually met in the woods, who'd hit a bull and needed help tracking it) and had an absolute blast. I didn't punch my tag, but passed up a couple slam-dunk shots when I had "big bull disease", learned a lot, explored a ton of new country in my new units, and had some awesome experiences. I had multiple encounters with a really big public land bull that was just outside my ethical range, and I'm not sorry I passed on lesser animals in order to have the experiences that came after. Met a couple great new friends and helped a wonderful senior trad couple each kill moose.

Last night as I sat in camp under the stars, season over, watching the total eclipse of the Hunter's Moon, having a nip, my smile was ear-to ear. When the eclipse was full, I howled like a pack of coyotes.

I've killed more elk with a bow than I probably deserve. Now, with friends keeling over around me and others unable to hunt like I do, I cherish every day in the woods, bloodied or not. Still lots of hunting left this season. Tags will be punched. Just not this one. I'm fine with that.

28-Sep-15
Right there with you; was in north MO yesterday evening could have shot a spike or big doe but first time in deerstand this year with chances and the eclipse...stopped 3 times on drive home to get pictures it was a great evening hunt no tag punched!

30-Sep-15
Great write up and personal philosophy! Thanks for sharing!! :)

>>>>-------->

30-Sep-15
Rick, thanks for starting a thread for us "unsuccessful" whiners ;)

Hunted 13 days solo. 12 of those days I had no human contact, just me vs elk. I came home when I ran out of food.

Morning of Day 2, I missed a slam dunk 35 yd broadside shot on a bull I decoyed in...I totally lost my composure and jerked my release. After the miss, I chirped with my mouth call, and almost got a second (frontal) shot at 15 yards with the decoy behind me...if he would have taken one more half step!

Some days you'd think I didn't have 40+ years of bowhunting under my belt!

Day 2 evening, I had hauled a treestand 2 miles down to a creek crossing...had my choice of two trails 80 yds apart. Watched one of the biggest bulls I've ever seen run a smaller bull out...on the OTHER trail!!!

Moved the stand the next day...and four days later...the same bull came out where I had the stand before!

Bad weather, silent bulls, whatever...just couldn't seal the deal. But, I wouldn't trade that solo time in the elk woods for anything. I would (and I will) do it again and again, as long as my body holds up. When you have views like this in the morning, who could ask for more?

photo Heaven_zpsx7s1fepo.jpg

Best of Luck, Jeff

• Sitka Gear