Aaron Johnson 25-Sep-15
Carnivore 25-Sep-15
deerman406 25-Sep-15
WV Mountaineer 25-Sep-15
Start My Hunt 25-Sep-15
TMA1010 25-Sep-15
Sage of the Sage2 26-Sep-15
25-Sep-15
On Wednesday evening, at last light, my friend shot a big cow at about 25 yards w/ a 3 blade muzzy. I was up the slope a ways calling and didn't see the shot. He told me he heard the impact of the arrow and thought he hit her a little high and a little forward. I was concerned about a hit in the shoulder blade (the only time I can remember hearing the impact was once when I hit a deer in the shoulder blade). We waited about 25 minutes and went into the timber to find the trail.

Didn't find blood for about the first 20 yards. When we did, it was dark blood, certainly not a lung hit, and not spraying like a major arterial bleed. About 70 yards from the shot, we found a spot where it looked like she'd stopped and just stood for a bit. There was a good bit of blood that had run out and pooled. I was still hoping to see pink froth, but nope. I had to concede it was an artery hit at best. We found a tiny bit of blood sign on down into a small canyon and the trail ended at the bottom where she seemed to have crossed the gully. We crawled, sniffed, did everything we could do to find more sign, but it was dark and there were lots of elk tracks. At about 11:00 we called it and decided to come back in the morning.

We hit the trail again at first light, and followed a game trail up the other side of the canyon a little ways - found blood. The blood sign was sparse, but a drop here and there showed us where she'd gone. She never bedded down and I never got the impression from the tracks that she was stumbling or staggering, just walking steadily along. We followed the trail for a good half mile with the blood petering slowly away. The last couple of spots of blood sign was where she brushed against a branch or stepped over a log - not running/dripping anymore. Ultimately we came to a big patch of deadfall. We spent the rest of the morning examining fallen lodgepoles and every conceivable we through and around the deadfall. In the end we were reduced to just wandering around. At about 11:00, Chris called it. We just couldn't find another strand to pull on.

On our way back up, we found the arrow about 20 yards from where we'd started, near the first blood sign. It appeared to have passed through, darkish blood covering it, and had some fat smeared on the front half of the shaft. No bone fragments and a little dark hair hanging on the vanes. The blades didn't have nick.

I sure hate that we lost that cow. There is no hollower feeling than that; and I really felt bad for Chris because, although he's taken a number or elk w/ a rifle, that was his first time to ever shoot even draw a bow on an animal. I was really wanting to recover it for his sake, as well. Anyway, emotional drama aside, I'm kind of thinking it must have been a high shoulder hit that just happened to miss the big leg bones. I know elk to be exceedingly tough creatures, so I'm thinking there's a possibility she'll survive the injury.

Anyway, opinions on what you've just read? Think we could've/should've done anything different?

25-Sep-15
Sounds like you didn't hit anything vital. Sorry for your loss.

TBB

25-Sep-15
Hope you find her. I would have waited until morning before starting to look for her.

25-Sep-15
Dark hair is the clue. No dark hair over the lungs or shoulder. Looks to me like a neck hit.

Terry

25-Sep-15
Same thing for me this year in UT, saw it hit, heard it hit, zero blood and no arrow anywhere around. Knew she ran down the mountain. Took almost an hour to convince myself I did hit her and chose a set of tracks to follow the direction she went. Luckily found blood 50 yds or so from where she was when I shot. Dark blood and not a lot if it (as much as you'd want anyway). Found her about 50 yds later. High lung shot. So you never know about things like that.

Good luck.

25-Sep-15
Just to be clear... The arrow looked like a complete pass through?

Same blood on broadhead and feathers? Arrow was still intact?

Sounds like a brisket or neck shot. That explains the blood. But it doesn't explain the noise when the arrow hit the elk.

25-Sep-15
Is it possible the sound was the arrow deflecting off something? And not from the animal?

25-Sep-15
It was a complete pass through. My impression was the arrow hung with the vanes inside the body and fell out in her initial run, or was pulled out by the brush as she ran.

I hit an elk high in the lungs before and recovered it in 80 yards after a very sparse blood trail. This wasn't one of those cases. That elk was in a panic run until she crashed; this one ran initially, then stopped, then walked across the next canyon. The dark hair wasn't quite as long and shaggy as you'd get on the neck or brisket, but it might have been right on the edge.

25-Sep-15
I have seen several elk with muzzy's lodged in them when butchering and chased a lot of blood trails with people that petered out. I'm glad I haven't lost any elk myself as it has haunted me on the couple of deer I have lost.

25-Sep-15
I had an eerily similar experience last Sunday. 30-35 yd shot, complete pass through and the elk ran 20-25 yds then stopped and walked off. I ended up bumping the elk 60-70 yds down the blood trail and found my arrow. Blood was dark, watery edge in spots and coagulated in others. Heard a loud crash in the direction it headed an hour and a half after the shot. Long story short, I lost good blood and grid searched the area until dark. I did bump an elk from its bed in which I do think it is the elk I shot. I never found any blood in the bed though. Here are a few blood trail pics.

25-Sep-15
OP, I wouldn't have given chase after 25min. Thats not a lot of time esp w/ a marginal hit at best. As stated above I would've checked the weather for rain and backed out giving the animal plenty of time to expire without pushing it.

I don't know what it is, but had he not said it was a muzzy I would have guessed it was a muzzy. A friend of mine lost a bull this yr saying it was broad side good hit, blood trail went to zero. No pass thru claiming it hung up on the opposite shoulder.

He is also notorious for keeping an arrow knocked at all times dragging it through the brush and what not. Plus the constant in and out of the quiver will dull a bh.

25-Sep-15

Aaron Johnson's embedded Photo

25-Sep-15

25-Sep-15

25-Sep-15
Some thoughts:

Sometimes a neck hit will bleed more when the animal is moving downhill (head down) than when moving uphill (head up).

You don't mention if the blood trail was on one side, both sides, or both sides and in the middle of the tracks. This can be an important clue to whether the arrow passed through, and if a lung was hit (blood in middle of tracks indicates blood coming out of nose/mouth which may indicate a lung hit).

Kudos on your perseverance. Following a blood trail for a half mile, and then grid searching is not easy.

25-Sep-15
I agree with Carnivore, if he knows it was forward and it passed through than I believe it may have been a neck shot. They will bleed pretty good at first but it can clot up quick and if the carotid artery was hit, she would of bled out quick. Blood trailing dog may of been the best option if legal where you were hunting. Shawn

25-Sep-15
Brisket hit. God Bless

25-Sep-15
Carnivore,

Very good information and observances that I had not thought of before. I will definitely keep this is mind.

Mike

25-Sep-15
Fat on the arrow has meant brisket to me on deer. Most likely non-fatal unless she gets an infection. Bummer.

26-Sep-15
In hindsight, I think the only thing I might have done differently would have been to wait longer, but as said before, sometimes a "questionable" hit is more obvious than others. She never bedded, but might have if we'd waited. That still doesn't mean we'd have recovered her, though.

Aaron, those pics could have come from Chris' bloodtrail. Very similar.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I figure the best thing to do now is learn as much from the situation as we can.

• Sitka Gear