ANick 26-Sep-15
Ucsdryder 26-Sep-15
Ucsdryder 26-Sep-15
John Haeberle 26-Sep-15
Mule Power 26-Sep-15
Royboy 27-Sep-15
Ucsdryder 27-Sep-15
26-Sep-15
Found a couple horses. Like most horses they were idiots and would run away when I got close. They were both wearing halters and one was dragging a lead rope. I tried to catch them to at least take off the rope but that didn't work. Need a grain bucket...or a tranquilizer.

Anyways if you're missing a couple horses let me know what they look like and I will give you coordinates. I wouldn't want everyone to know where my not so secret elk to spot is that's loaded with hunters and void of elk. I hate elk.

26-Sep-15

KJC's Link
Probably these horses.

26-Sep-15
No, I thought the same thing when I saw them. Looks like they tracked down those 2 horses already.

26-Sep-15
They usually run home if close by or back to the trailer they got out of.

26-Sep-15
They had been there a good 2+ weeks. Horse tracks and crap everywhere and some of it old and dried up. This isn't a spot someone would ride horses into either. This was at close to 12k feet so they are going to be coyote food soon if they don't get out before the weather.

26-Sep-15
They had been there a good 2+ weeks. Horse tracks and crap everywhere and some of it old and dried up. This isn't a spot someone would ride horses into either. This was at close to 12k feet so they are going to be coyote food soon if they don't get out before the weather.

26-Sep-15
I know a guy who lost two horses (years ago) on an elk hunt, went back numerous times looking for them, found one of them alive and well 9 months later in late spring early summer...

doesn't help in this situation, but don't count em out right away...

26-Sep-15
I'd give the Sheriff's office and the Game Dept a call to see if they have any reported missing. Area ranchers or outfitters might be a good source also. Word can get around pretty fast.

Nearby Humane Society might be worth a call.

Hm. Gotta admit I didn't think I'd be typing that sentence on here when I planned my week.

Nick

26-Sep-15
Ditto what ANick said. Report them to the local game warden. If somebody's looking for them they probably already reported them missing. A friend of ours had his horse "borrowed from his camp while elk hunting in Colorado. He reported it missing and it showed up nearly a year later. The horse was emaciated and near death and amazingly was still wearing his saddle. The horse lost so much weight that the saddle slipped and was hanging upside down on the horse when they found it. Imagine his surprise when he got that phone call back home in Texas!

26-Sep-15
Thanks for the idea. Called the sheriff and gave them GPS coordinates. Sounds like someone will go get them.

26-Sep-15
They were branded so assuming someone can go retrieve them the brand inspector can find the owners. Hopefully the one dragging a lead rope doesn't get tangled up first. They were both good looking horses. The way my hunting day was going I would have rode one of them out of there rather than continuing my long fruitless hunt (read hike).

26-Sep-15
Definitely ... if you find horses, call the county sheriff.

If I ever lose mine (who, me?) I'd call the sheriff.

Come to think about it, I had one who got "lost" FROM HOME, while I was elk hunting a week ago.

Wife came home to find a deputy holding her in a ditch.

(Don't ever buy a mare.)

26-Sep-15
Report it to the Forest Service.

27-Sep-15
Last week in Wyoming 2 of our rental horses went down the trail in the dark.so we head out after them and caught (one was hobbled).lucky it was only about one mile and not all eight!

27-Sep-15
Had the same thing happen with a couple of ours. He made it about 4 miles. They usually head for the truck.

• Sitka Gear