KJC 28-Sep-15
ElkNut1 28-Sep-15
tobinsghost 28-Sep-15
Straight Shooter 28-Sep-15
Matte 28-Sep-15
tj 28-Sep-15
Straight Shooter 28-Sep-15
27-Sep-15
Got to elk this year. really enjoyed the adventure even though no elk was killed.Love the Colorado mountains. Got to see some antelope unit 79 and mule deer unit 80 but no elk.Could not find any sign or hear any bugles.Talked with other hunters and they were having the same problem. We tried units 79, 80, and 81.A friend from Church just got back yesterday from unit 62 in Montrose Co and they did not see or hear any elk.I know the elk were up high we hunted in unit 80 at 11600 on the gps but no sign found anywhere.Still enjoy Going to the mountains and taking in all Gods creation.Had a great time.Always make great memories at age 67 that means a lot to me. God Bless and Good hunting.Almost whitetail season here in Alabama.

27-Sep-15
Good for you! It's great to see you had success without having success! At 62 I am thankful for everyday afield and observing all that transpires in a day is the magic! C

27-Sep-15
Yep, agree, I'll be 60 in a few weeks and to me, success is being vertical.

27-Sep-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Yep, Colorado in the Fall and during Early elk season is magical.

My best, Paul

27-Sep-15
I hunted north central CO and heard bugles from day one until today and saw plenty of elk. Saw more Bulls this year than I have in years.

28-Sep-15
I hunted unit 82 from Sept 12th-24th never heard a single bugle seen one 4x4 with 18 cows. Thats not right for a small bull like that to have 18 cows alone that time of year. Its was the slowest year I ever seen and I also talked to a few guys having the same luck. THe hunting pressure seemed to be higher then normal also.

28-Sep-15
I spent 8 days in the Big Belts in Montana. I was into elk almost every day. I passed a 15 yard shot on a cow on day 2 but had no other shot opportunities this year. I learned a lot. I spiked out for three days at 8000 feet. I shot and ate some blue grouse. I took a bunch of pictures. I had a great hunt.

28-Sep-15
It's great when we hit the woods & bulls are bugling on their own, love those days! But in many cases bulls need to be fired up so don't be ashamed to build excitement yourself through bugling for location to get the party started! (grin) We rarely wait for elk to bugle first. Being away from hunting pressure is advised as you do this to avoid calling in other hunters!

ElkNut1

28-Sep-15

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
Shot my biggest bull to date and enjoyed the scenery!

28-Sep-15
tj, we came back from CO "empty handed" as well. Took my brother on his first ever back pack hunt for elk. He did great for 8 nights in the wilderness for a first timer. Just curious what was the dates you hunted? Not a single bugle is brutal, tough to stay positive, but still better than being back east!

DJ

28-Sep-15
Just returned from the Columbus Area. I hunted with my sister and her husband who have lived in the area almost all their lives and the hunting was brutal. Extra, hot, steep and burned is what we got into. Not bugle till the last morning there. Thinking of going back rifle season sure need to find some serious Elk hunters out there to partner up with.

28-Sep-15
Straight Shooter we were able to hunt from 9/16/15// to 9/25/15 not only were there no bugles but we did not find any fresh sign.

28-Sep-15
tj,

You were there about the same time as I. We struck out in one area, but were fortunate enough to be able to glass another basin in the distance. Very little sign in our first area and most of it was old. Glassed elk very early morning, if we wouldn't have seen them, we wouldn't have known they were there. When thy are quiet and little opportunities to glass, they are tough to find. The only thing you can do is put on the miles and glass. Glad you had fun anyway, better luck next season!

DJ

• Sitka Gear