midwest 10-Jan-16
DonVathome 10-Jan-16
colonel00 10-Jan-16
Sandbrew 10-Jan-16
BULELK1 11-Jan-16
JDM 12-Jan-16
INDBowhunter2 12-Jan-16
28-Sep-15
If anyone wants bison help (on the elk refuge) 12/15- 12/18 let me know, I will be there hunting cow elk and I would rather help you get a bison (bull or cow) and even help pack out. My buddy and I were hoping he would draw bison but he did not - and I want to be "in" on a bison hunt so email me at [email protected] if you are interested!

I got a cow in 2014 and saw lots of bison and hiked the entire area.

21-Nov-15
Reminder if anyone wants help, I will be in Jackson hole 12/14-12/19 and would love to help someone tag out, bow or gun, I will happily help pack too!

21-Nov-15
If anyone needs help when Don isn't there look up Eli Hale at Double Y outfitters. He has a contract to pack on the refuge this year for bison hunters. A really good friend of mine is the one out there working for him. Great guys both of them. Good luck Don

22-Nov-15
Cool deal as I too am up there!

I totally love it year in year out--

This will be 7 out of the last 8 years for me....

Seems to be different every year but exciting.

Thank goodness for easy access to the retrieval roads for getting those big ole buff off the NER!

Good luck, Robb

PS. Joe--ya got a phone number for your buddy you could post ? thx----->

22-Nov-15
912-682-9550 Will Cushner

23-Nov-15
Thanks Joe------>

Good luck, Robb

24-Nov-15
I will also be on NER after Christmas. I drew a bull tag and have 2200 miles to drive.I hired Tag-n-drag since they have horses. Going that time of year so my son that is in college could also come along since he will be off school.

24-Nov-15
You should have a great trip in late December.

The later the better most years as deeper snow has them migrate onto the NER.

Driving from NJ might be a challenge weather wise across our America---travel safe and smart.

Good luck, Robb

24-Nov-15

huntinelk's embedded Photo
One year ago today. Was an amazing experience, still think about it daily, still have a little meat left to enjoy.

Good luck to all with tags this year.

Gene

24-Nov-15
Thanks I here the kill is way down from last year. I hope the roads aren't to bad getting there but time will tell. Huntinelk can you pm me your phone number I would like to talk with you again one more time before I leave Thanks

24-Nov-15
Bowman, pm sent

24-Nov-15
Great place, 4 years and counting until I can apply again. Good luck Bowman and anyone else that has a tag.

24-Nov-15
Last year snow/cold came a lot earlier then normal - which explains lower kill. I hear elk are moving on now. Bison will be soon!

24-Nov-15
I will be there 12/19-12/22 with a cow tag. I really want to fill my tag with my bow. Would any of you that have done it before be willing to give some advice that may increase chances of success? How difficult is it to get within bow range (50 yards)? Thank you.

25-Nov-15
WYOBowhunter PM sent, very doable with bow IMO

Also the weekend before you can apply for the same time period I am there and possibly draw, or maybe get a walk on permit - so if you can come down early you might be able to get on and I would LOVE to help! I only got my cow elk tag hoping to help a bison hunter, and a bowhunter going for cow would be my top choice!

I sent you a PM feel free to call me - I can help - and help a lot more when I am leaving and you are arriving!

25-Nov-15
I will actually be up there next month. A buddy pointed me to this thread so I have just joined the site. I have permits for the NER for 12/8-12/15 but we haven't nailed down exact dates yet. Most likely it will be the 11th through 15th or so. I drew a non-res cow and am open to any tips, current intel or anything else someone offered up. Most likely this will be a rifle hunt as time is somewhat limited and I definitely want to fill the tag.

25-Nov-15
One quick question, I have "heard" from other forums that it is possible to get an extension on my NER permit(s). For example, as mentioned above, mine currently run through the 15th but is it feasible that we could stay a little longer?

25-Nov-15
colonel00 - I'm in the same boat as you Permitted for 12/8-15, and probably going with the rifle for a cow/calf. You can get additional permits, but you have to 'apply' about a week in advance for the time you want.

My biggest concern is that the bison haven't been driven out of the park yet from snow/bad weather. No sense in being there if they aren't there. Not seeing too much weather moving into Jackson in the next 7-10 days.

Don, just how 'doable' is it?

PM me (click on my name and go from there) and we can compare notes. That goes for anyone else too. ALL advice/intel is appreciated.

Jeff

30-Nov-15
Each weekend you can apply for 2 hunts the next week (4 days each) draw odds are good so likely you can get on, possibly walk on to. G&F will have more accurate intel FYI. worth a shot - try for when I am there!

01-Dec-15
They get herded up and will just stand there and look at you.

Getting a clear shooting lane so you don't pass-thru and hit one standing behind may take a few minutes...50 yards would be very do-able bow shot distance.

They will CHARGE at you at any given moment though...I am not any Speed Freak running in knee deep snow ---haha so beware!

Rifle hunt is no challenge IMO so plan on a harvest if that is your weapon of choice.

The earlier the snow piles up the sooner they migrate onto the NER.

The retrieval roads stay some what packed as guys drive them daily for retrieval so getting one off the NER isn't really difficult if you harvest smartly.

I prefer Parking lot #2 to start out from------>

I am already 'committed' to help out since September but can give advice if needed----PM or Email for sure.

[email protected]

They can be harvested off the NER to the east of Grand Teton but they do not plow the dirt roads and the wind can drift up those roads very fast----

We had good snow last week but the way Jackson Hole sits--it can rain instead of snow....ya know 2 ft. up on the ski resorts and rain in the valley.

Just the experience year in and year out lures me back.

Good luck, Robb

08-Dec-15
Anyone having luck with bison yet? Looks like the lack of snow has kept them off the NER. I am permitted starting today, but am waiting until I hear they have moved. Thanks!

09-Dec-15
At least ya don't have far to travel deadeye---

They have predicted big storms starting Thursday into Saturday and again starting on Monday----the temps are more rain in the valley/snow in the high mountains though.

Last year 2 mornings in a row it poured rain/wet heavy snow and that sucked!!

I am out of here at 0600 on Sunday the 13th for JH and hope to hit the in between day of storms as driving 25-35 miles an hour in 4x4-High in a snow storm swallows my fuel!! haha an makes for a long azz day of driving!

Good luck, Robb

15-Dec-15
How is the bison hunting this week? Headed up on Friday to hunt 12/19 - 12/22.

15-Dec-15
I also have a bison tag but coming from alot further than you wyobowhunter NJ I was also hoping to here if the bison have been moving Im leaving on christmas because i didn't get the week I wanted and mine starts on the 26th and im 2300 miles away it should be a interesting trip !!!

16-Dec-15

BULELK1's Link
Not much in the way of snow or cold temps.

My bud from back east got on a plane home and will try and come back in January as the whole apply for next week advice isn't really an option as they are having such low harvest rates----he didn't get another week.

It seems the NER is void of any migrating Buff and they a slim pickings on the surrounding FS legal ground.

Good luck, Robb

PS for a daily visual of the area check out my link---

17-Dec-15
Wondering if anyone is having success in WY yet? Looks like a bit of snow on the refuge the last couple days or so, how much snow fell up north in the park?

18-Dec-15
I was over there yesterday and today. Still no bison on the refuge. The big herd is still way up north with no signs of moving. The 75 that have been hanging around Kelly did move through a state section a few days ago and two were harvested. Rumor is that this piece of state land just became open to hunting and that two wardens with tags harvested the two bison. Funny how that works. Don't know if there is any truth in this, but I did talk to one very pissed off bison hunter from Green River. I think the bison have wised up to being shot at on the NER and may not show up until the season closes. Hope not!

20-Dec-15
I just got back yesterday - no bison on refuge. I heard about state land and it is open - but they hung out 200 yards away a lot, one guy passed a calf on it.

I did cut a set of tracks from 2 medium size bison on the north end - I have no idea where they went (heading NE on ridge parallel with road to Kelly). I spoke to no one else who knew of any bison on refuge so my guess is they left.

Snow in forcast so hopefully but it is not looking good for next week.

I helped my buddy trying to get his first elk most of the time and on the last day stalked into a herd of 500 in the wide open from a mile away (took 2 hours) and took the lead cow with a perfect shot with my muzzleloader at 100 yards. It was awesome.

20-Dec-15
I had two friends kill cows with smooth bore shotguns this week. But they worked hard for them and said worst weather ever.

20-Dec-15
I likely saw them! Saw a lotta smooth bore guys, I had a muzzy and white toyota SUV wore white suite last day.

20-Dec-15
What's with the smooth bore shotguns.

20-Dec-15
Don How far of a ride was it for ya?

20-Dec-15
Don, glad to hear you guys got a cow, because I know it sure was slim pickens. Good job!

20-Dec-15
Chip T. Date: 20-Dec-15 What's with the smooth bore shotguns.

Don't know quite what you mean, but that would normally be a regular shotgun barrel shooting a slug with rifling on it to make it spin in order to stabilize it for accuracy. Most people now are shooting shotguns with rifled barrels and sabot slugs when they go for big game with them.

20-Dec-15
I'll rephrase the question why use a shotgun when you can use a rifle

20-Dec-15
There is a section of the NER that is short range weapons only.

20-Dec-15
Thanks

21-Dec-15
ChipT,

The north side is Rifle/any legal weapon, the south side is Primitive weapon only, Bow's/x-bow's, shotgun with slug and muzzy-loaders....logic being 100 yards or less type hunting.

I hunt the south end for my elk as it is totally exciting and WIDE OPEN--unless I go up on Miller Butte.

I have some great video of those huge herds of elk that ya try and stalk up on----

Anyone wanna see some short 30--35 second vid's--toss me an Email

[email protected]

Good luck, Robb

22-Dec-15
Bowman ride? I flew from Ohio, it was slim pickings, the last day was a LOT better though.

23-Dec-15
Oh I thought you drove. Congrats on your elk

26-Dec-15
Just wondering if anybody is seeing any bison this week?

26-Dec-15
I'll be able to tell you after I get done hunting them tomorrow, Monday, and Tuesday.

27-Dec-15
Good luck. Hope they move onto the NER for you.

27-Dec-15
Go get 'em Randy! and all of ya.

Man it is way tougher this year than most--

Like I stated earlier it is different every year.

Good luck, Robb

28-Dec-15
A few moved on yesterday I know a guy who got one.

29-Dec-15
Just back. Still very little activity. Sunday morning, a herd did come on to the National Elk Refuge (NER). Every cow got shot that morning/afternoon. I only had two days, due to camera schedules. That afternoon, we found a herd of seven that were still standing. All bulls.

Hunted hard yesterday; -22F in the morning and warmed up to 0F for the high. Nothing to be found. They were all up north of Kelly. Refuge employees and WY G&F employees have said that if bison do push in, they will be issuing additional hunting passes for the NER to accommodate anyone who can get there. Since I only live four hours away, I will try to get back down.

Hunted until noon today. Morning low was -14F. Did not see a single bison today. Wind on the ridges was only 10-15 mph this morning, but add in those temps and my cheeks were plenty rosy by the time I got done. Camera batteries do not function real well at these temps.

I knew this was a risk when I applied, so I was ready for that possible reality. Talked to a lot of other hunters, many of whom thought it was a drive up and shoot 'em event. I had a bull bison tag in MT three years ago, so I was just happy to be there in such a beautiful setting, looking at tons of elk, bighorn sheep, and hoping for a bison to show up.

Right now, the majority of the bison are north of the Kelly Highway. They need to move south two miles and the energetic folks will have a crack at them. If they move five miles south, they will be close to the flats of the NER.

I have a friend who is going down tomorrow for his four day NER pass. I hope a few move on to the NER while he is down there.

30-Dec-15
Made the trip up a few weeks ago. Great experience even if the buffalo were just sitting there in Kelly laughing at us. Ready to go back if I can get some positive intel. With weather, it's a 16-19 hour drive so nothing to take lightly. I have a permit for Saturday through Tuesday but I really on the fence as to whether I should go or wait another week. Please keep the info coming...

I've heard basically the same as what's been reported here. Decent group moved in last weekend and were thinned. Very few seen in the last day or two on the NER.

31-Dec-15
Thanks for the update/report Randy.

Doesn't read like a bow hunter would have a chance with the gun hunters shooting 'em up!

The coldest it has been for me over the last 6-7 years was -27 @ the airport, not sure what it was with the wind chill.

Geezzz--not sure what to advice ya with Brad.....going to be a cold MO-FO but not much snow in the forecast ~~

I guess it boils down to 'Ya won't get one sitting at home" type deal....

Good luck, Robb

PS-Thanks for the kind words on those of you that got my short vid's! I am humbled....

31-Dec-15
Yeah, I hear ya, Robb. It's just a matter of whether I go now and chance it or wait another week.

31-Dec-15
A friend shot a cow this morning. I called the Elk Refuge and a herd of about 100 crossed last night and are on the refuge. If not for having company in town, I would be in my truck and on my way back to Jackson. Hope there are still a few around when I can break free on Tuesday afternoon.

05-Jan-16
I spent the last two days at the refuge and still no bison showing up. Three groups just to the north, maybe soon!

05-Jan-16
I'm heading back down tomorrow for three days. Hoping for some luck.

05-Jan-16
Good luck Fin sounds like fun! Can't believe you aren't heading up to Oregon to hang with the Bundys.

05-Jan-16
Just got home from being up there since Saturday. Still no bison like deadeye said. The groups that were up by Kelly seemed to have disappeared last night or this morning. There were only about 6 animals there at noon today. Good luck!

05-Jan-16
Keep the info coming fellas. Planning on heading that way on Friday but could use some encouraging reports to justify the long trip.

05-Jan-16
JDM is headed that way soon. Good luck to all!

Wish I was going my buddies at Snake River Brewing have some special brews waiting.

Sandbrew

06-Jan-16
Wow I feel bad for those who drew this year! Yikes, good luck! I figured for sure by now they would be on...............

Good luck guys! Drive the border and look for tracks crossing in before light. I killed mine near closed campground near Kelly - I think they had just crossed over from Kelly, and they were spooky and on their way back when I shot - 200 yards from the river.

06-Jan-16
Never thought to hunt Boson but this thread has me thinking. What is the deal with this hunt. Is it a draw and if so what are the odds of drawing. I will be retired next winter so maybe I should spend some time in Jackson at the Brewery waiting for the Bison to head south.

06-Jan-16
Don, I ran into a family that the father and daughter both had tags, yes what a lousy year to have two tags! Wonder where those groups went, kind of hard for 150 thousand pound animals to evaporate. One of the other hunters I ran into mentioned a season extension. Anyone hear this rumor?

06-Jan-16
Tracker I love the way you are thinking. Million dollar cowboy bar?

06-Jan-16
deadeye, when I was up there 3 weeks ago or so there was the large group milling about in the fields just outside of Kelly. On the last morning we were there, they had vanished. We scoured the Gros Ventre/Antelope Flats road they would cross to get to the river but never saw any sign of a crossing. Eventually we found they crossed the road that heads north out of Kelly and had made their way up by that hot springs. They were up that little road a bit just hanging out in a field well hidden from the main roads. Not saying that this is where any of these animals disappeared to but it's possible.

07-Jan-16
Hang in there fella's!!

Not much change in the weather pattern----

May turn into 'Right Place--Right Time' type deal.

Lot's of pine/quakie micro draws that they could be hung up in on the North end of the NER....

Maybe stay on the mountain mostly all day, on the slow moving around would be best.

Good luck, Robb

07-Jan-16
Although I wasn't over in the NER yesterday, it sounds like some bison were harvested. Robb hit on the head, "Right place-Right time." I can't hunt until Saturday, got my fingers crossed.

07-Jan-16
Barring major travel delays, I should be up there on Saturday as well. Heard another report today of someone getting one last night.

07-Jan-16
deadeye, I sent you a PM with my contact info if you are interested.

07-Jan-16
deadeye, I sent you a PM with my contact info if you are interested.

07-Jan-16
Hiked into a herd of 12 bulls yesterday. Then into a herd of about 30 cows/calves/bulls that were getting out of Dodge. Had a cow lined up at 190 yards (yeah, using a rifle) that was continually obscured by other bison, either above or behind. Never dared to shoot.

Hiked in way before dark this morning and cut their tracks from where they headed north. They were across the river and in Grand Teton NP by daylight.

I climbed the ridges and found 3 groups within two miles of the river that is the boundary. Tomorrow is the last day for my refuge pass and film permit, but I suspect with that many bison nearby, those who have a pass for next week will have some opportunity.

07-Jan-16

Bowman's embedded Photo
Bowman's embedded Photo
Got home Monday and shot the only bull I saw. Like everyone has said this was not a very good year so far

07-Jan-16
Congrats Greg! Glad it worked out for you. Good luck to everyone else still trying these last days of the season.

08-Jan-16
Way to go Greg!!

Total respect for ya driving all the way from NJ and putting it all together with your bow.

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

08-Jan-16
Awesome, Bowman! Congrats!

Good luck, Randy!

08-Jan-16
awesome!!!!

08-Jan-16
Sweet Bowman! Congratulations!

08-Jan-16
The kind of post I have waited for in this thread!

Way to go Greg!

08-Jan-16
That's great congrats

08-Jan-16
Congrats!!! That's awesome!!!

Do we only see one arrow remaining in the quiver?

Mark

08-Jan-16
Way to go Greg !!

09-Jan-16
Nice work Bowman!

Sounds like very tough year up there.

I did just get a text picture of a dead buffalo with a rifle from JDM. Sound like got lucky.

Sandbrew

09-Jan-16
Congrats to JDM !

Good luck, Robb

09-Jan-16
Thanks and good luck to those still there

09-Jan-16
Congratulations!

09-Jan-16
Congrats Bowan. What was the tempature?

10-Jan-16

A few have came into the NER. Another successful bowhunter. Just posting the pic, not my bison.

10-Jan-16
Sweet!

10-Jan-16
Great job guys LOVE the bow kills! Keep the pics coming

Congrat's

10-Jan-16
huntinelk, was that from today (1/10) or yesterday when a lot were taken? Actually, looking at the overcast sky, I'm guessing yesterday as it's mostly clear and sunny today.

10-Jan-16
That looks like yesterday. I heard at least some of the rifle hunters gave the archery guy a crack before shooting. Sandbrew

11-Jan-16
That is polite of the gun hunters, very nice for sure.

Good luck, Robb

12-Jan-16
It's been really tough on the NER this year - as those that have tags can attest. I got lucky and connected on Saturday. There were 14 killed that morning before they ran back to the Park.

Thanks for all the support and intel from fellow bowsiters!

12-Jan-16
Congrats to everyone that has been successful, you guys have a ton of the best tasting game meat there is IMO. Good luck to the guys still trying.

• Sitka Gear