trkyslr 08-Oct-15
elkmtngear 08-Oct-15
Brotsky 08-Oct-15
GhostBird 08-Oct-15
wild1 08-Oct-15
30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Well let's just say September 2015 will be a month I'll never forget, good and bad. It would be the first time Id be elk hunting with joe who had never taken an elk with his bow. We knew it would be a backcountry wilderness adventure that would test us in many ways. It would be a diy otc hunt in an area we had never stepped foot even near. I wanted more than anything for joe to put an arrow through a bull, to experience an epic hunt, that would get him hooked. We were pumped to say the least once September rolled around then just two days before we were suppose to leave the unexpected happened. The Butte fire happened and I had to evacuate my family as I was in the danger zone. Fortunately for my family, winds and higher powers kept the fire off my pad and after four days the evacuation was lifted and I could return home. In a couple days I got the house somewhat back to normal and the wife said I could go elk hunting. Part of me felt like she was full of it and she wanted me to stay home and part of me knew she was a strong woman who wanted me to not spend my vacation time at home. Well that's what I went with lol.. She's the best! So with the emotional tough goodbies to my wife and daughter, joe and I were on our way to Colorado just a few days later then planned.

Ugly view 5 days before we left from my pad.

30-Sep-15

joehunter8301's embedded Photo
I knew we would be in for a hellova hunt not knowing the country at all. The terrain was thick, steep and getting acclimated to the elevation took a few days. We spent a few days learning the country and letting what we were up against settle in. Bugling was very limited and not having horses we were limited on areas we could travel to without exhausting ourselves in the process. This was definitely gonna be a test mentally and physically.

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Joe and I would be hunting an OTC unit DIY style. The only direction we received is a general area a friend saw elk summering up high in August several years ago. We were going in several miles on foot and loaded with food for 9 days if need be. I might be slightly taller then joe but I think I packed lighter then him ;-)

More then anything I wanted joe to get his first archery elk and join the club as I had killed a few Bulls already with my bow. We were going to work our asses off trying.

After a brutal 5 mile hike in and straight up with a unexpected detour through a mile stretch of deadfall, we set our first camp up. We gained about 1500 feet of elevation. And we're hunting, more like adjusting to the thinner air.

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
The first two days we spent covering about 20 tough miles learning the country and trying to find elk. We had only heard one legit bugle and only saw one cow, which snuck in on us without a shot. By the way our mentality going in was being an OTC DIY hunt we were filling tags with anything legal. As I told joe any backcountry elk with a bow is a trophy.

30-Sep-15

Once we learned the country a little better we started getting into the elk. We only would see 1-5 elk each day and most were in the thick timber. So we just covered ground slowly and most the elk we saw were in close quarters. Hunting was tough and mentally we were getting drained. We relocated camp after 2 days to get closer to the elk sign and closer to water. This proved to be a very smart move in the days to come....

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Mmmmmmm.... Looks kinda clear

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Walla Magic!!!! Drinkable....

30-Sep-15

Trkyslr thought I was crazy for not using any water purification system. Well it's been a week and my digestive system still goin strong :-)

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Day 3, came and we figured out that we had to move our camp about 1000 feet lower as all the elk and sign were down low and not near the high alpine tree line. This move would save our butts from a daily 1000 foot climb back to camp each night. Camp was moved and ready to try a new area the next morning. The first three days the bugling was non existent as we heard only a couple at first light and the temps were warm. Day 4, we decided to hunt areas with sign and do a bunch of cold calling setups, since the elk were being quiet. Well it worked as we called in two spikes within range and bumped one legal bull moving to another call location. On our call setups we were calling in or seeing elk about 1 out of every 4 setups. After another 10 plus mile day, 40+- total miles so far, and not a chance at a legal bull I was a little discouraged. I was also reminded how "nothing trains you for the mountains like the mountains." I was now acclimated to the elevation and my body was feeling stronger.

This was a wallow we called one of the spikes into after some cow calls and joe splashed around the wallow with a stick.

30-Sep-15
Not quite as easy as turkeys are they guys !!;)

I know always a smart ass in the bunch ! Look forward to one of you guys classic write ups.

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Camp set.... Sdhntr saw this and liked our tarp lol... It worked well!

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Mid day lunch craziness.....

30-Sep-15
Was waiting for this one .hunt

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Mtn house it was for a few nights.....

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Day 5, joe and I decided to go back to the area we were at day 4 and try more cold call setups. Again it was clear skies and warm with no bugles. On our second setup we setup on a side hill with winds still heading down. This was joes day to be shooter and pick his position so he picked to sit lower then I. I was above joe about 35 yards and we began cow calling back and forth. After a minute of calling, foot stomps, and broken branch or two, I caught movement above me 60 yards out as a bull was closing in fast. The bull turned his head and I could see he was legal. With a directed away cow meuww the bull started weaving and jumping through the deadfall towards me. As the bull went behind some trees at 40 yards, I came to full draw. The bull stopped behind some brush and after 30 seconds of me not calling joe called which brought the bull out from behind the brush and broadside at 35 yards. With a voice meuww the bull stopped and the arrow was on its way. I watched the arrow disappear through the bull and he then stormed off the hill out of view 15 yards later. Hearing the commotion and shot joe ran up to me and the pre celebration began.

With my binos I could see this 5 yards beyond where the bull was standing at the shot...

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
After 15 minutes we checked the arrow and found it buried into a log and covered in great blood.

Found this only a couple yards from the spot of impact :-)

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
515 grains total arrow weight, kinetic koas, tipped with 125 gr vented VPA.... Still sharp and spun true. So far so good but needed to find my bull to be totally sold.

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
I had a good feeling about this one....

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
After about a 45 minute total wait, we began trailing and found the bull stone dead 40 yards away. We were pumped!!!!!! 10x!!

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
During the pic session I took a solo pic with the bull but this bull was earned by both joe and I. This bull was a team bull, so a pic with both of us in it would be what I (we) wanted!

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Yeaaaaaa buddy the good stuff!!!!!

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
One down one to go!

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Now the work started and joe and I decided to pack out the whole bull deboned in one trip. Cmon we were only 7 miles from the truck we could do it right?! Well with our packs weighed down 110-120 pounds each we made it to the truck about 5 hours later. If the bull was any bigger/older it would have required two trips

30-Sep-15
Well done Chris, looks like lots of good eating will be taking place back at your house. Glad you and your family made it through the fire as well!!! God is good!!

Best regards, Scott Alberda

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Brutal but rewarding!

30-Sep-15
congrats on a great trophy.

30-Sep-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Well after getting the meat to the butcher we stopped, showered, and recharged with some calories! Nothing like hitting the refresh button before heading back into the woods.

01-Oct-15

As we sat there and admired the elk and prepared to pack it out I mentioned to Chris "you deserved this more than me anyways I'm glad it was you" we got our work cut out for us lets get it movin. By the time we got to the truck we were beat and my shoulders were black and blue from the straps on my pack. But I wouldn't have it any other way...

01-Oct-15
On our way back in a front moved in with rain. We were hoping this would get the Bulls talking and it did! The first evening we were chasing a bugling bull down a canyon but before we could close in darkness was upon us. The next morning we got on a bugling bull back in the area I killed my bull and was bugling him in as we closed the distance. Well he was closer and coming in faster then I thought and I ended up spooking the bull as I walked over a rise. The rest of the morning we covered more ground and eventually found camp by day's end to dry off from the rain.

The next day the rain moved out and we didn't have any action or hear any bugles in the morning. That afternoon we decided to return to the other canyon where we chased the bugling bull in the rain. Around 5 pm I Bugled and we heard a bull respond with his own bugle across the canyon near the bottom. We dropped in elevation and got across from the bull about 100 yards away. With the bull bugling every couple minutes and no visual, joe decided to try and sneak on the bull and I would stay put to give him arm signals if needed and per joes request keep him bugling so he could pin point him. Well long story short on this bull when not together the caller/signaler should not call as the sneaker is closing in. As I got a visual on the bull it started heading away from joe, so in attempt to keep him bugling so joe could close in and know his direction the bull sprinted across the canyon right to me and away from joe. The bull got downwind of me 10 yards away and it was all over.

01-Oct-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Day 8 or 9, (lost track after so many) the morning was slow and quiet with no action and several more miles covered. That afternoon we returned back to the same canyon where we got into action the day prior. As we hit a rare high spot with cellphone service, I received a message of a death in the family back in Cali. Obviously knowing something was wrong with me, I told joe about the news and he said well let's go home. I said, "Nope nothing I can do so let's go kill a bull." We headed farther up the canyon and sat at lookout toward the canyons head. Around 5 pm, I Bugled and about two minutes later a bull up the canyon responded. My thoughts quickly switched back to the hunt and I told Joe we need to kill this bull and that I'll call him in.

The Bull's switch was turned on now as he was bugling every couple minutes on his own. Once the winds were consistently coming down the canyon, we moved in to within 100 yards. With the first couple of cow calls, the bull bugled back immediately with more attitude. With Joe setup 20 yards in front of me in the thick timber I began to say sweat nothings to the bull...... He was screaming to every call....

01-Oct-15

I got setup where I had several shooting lanes and there was no doubt this bull was coming. I made movement of his legs about 100 yards out and he was comin in hot. I got to full draw when he was about 40 yards out and closing. With everything pre-ranged the bull decided to come right at me. He bugled twice inside of 30 yards while I was at full draw. Unreal intensity. I was locked in and nothing else mattered. At 16 yards facing head on I decided to let him have it. My arrow disappeared in his chest and instantly I saw blood squirting out. He turned to run but it was too late. He made it 12 yards, reared up and tipped over in less than 8 seconds. We immediately ran towards each other hollering, laughing and crying all at once. So much emotion came out as it was no doubt the most physically and mentally demanding hunt both of us have ever been through. And we just lived it!! We felt on top of the world! The smile on my face says it all!!

01-Oct-15
I found myself kneeling down calling in the bull into joe's lap when he came into view 30 yards from me and 20 yards for joe. The bull looked down towards me and let out an ear shattering bugle rt in our faces. The bull slowly turned towards joe and I heard his bow go off. The bull ran 10 yards, I watched him tip over and couldn't help but yell in celebration with Joe. I think the whole state of Colorado probably heard us celebrating. Cheers, tears, shakes, and a feeling of a major accomplishment hit us hard! It was so awesome to see my buddy kill his first archery bull and I got to call it in for him! This was a team effort and team trip!!!One thing I'll never forget joe said after his kill was "this hunt wAs unreal... This hunt was O-T-C D-I-Y W-T-F O-M-G!!!" or something very similar... Lmao I was rolling.

01-Oct-15

You can see the bull on the left where he fell over. Where I am standing in this picture is where he was when the arrow hit him. No tracking needed :-) those frontals are deadly

01-Oct-15

My arrow was 400 grains tipped with a vpa 3 blade 100 gr. it poked out in the guts behind the last rib. Pretty impressive penetration

01-Oct-15

All piled up!!

01-Oct-15

This was where he was standing when the arrow struck him. Immediate blood rush. So bad ass!!

01-Oct-15

As Chris said this was 100% team effort. No solo pix necessary

01-Oct-15

Awesome feeling notching my tag!!

01-Oct-15

Yummy!

01-Oct-15

An experience I will not soon forget!

01-Oct-15
This bull would take two trips deboned to get out.... So the next day by 10 am, 15 miles later, we had all of joes bull and our camp packed down the mountain and back to the truck. We figured we did close to 90 total miles and 20+ hauling meat out. Loved every second of it!

01-Oct-15

The aspens just started to turn and it made for some pretty pix on the pack out the next morning

01-Oct-15
Dbl post

01-Oct-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Colorado was good to us Cali boys!

01-Oct-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
First night home the loins are enjoyed by all!

01-Oct-15
Great job guys! Those are some great photos, well done on all accounts.

01-Oct-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Viddles

01-Oct-15
This was a trip I'll never forget and learned a lot about elk and myself. Just when things get tough, we needed to stay tougher and keep moving forward as things worked out for good reason. This was also a trip where we earned it as a team,therefore, both Bulls belong to each of us!

01-Oct-15

Few more pix of our journey

01-Oct-15

01-Oct-15

01-Oct-15
hell of a hunt great story thanks for sharing

01-Oct-15

Thanks for coming along on our epic trip. Good luck to everyone the rest of this season

01-Oct-15
Ftr, you are crazy for not using any water purification!!

01-Oct-15
Great job Team Bull nothing wrong with solo hunts and nothing wrong with sharing something special!

01-Oct-15
Great trip guys. Way to git-r-done!

01-Oct-15
I heard rumors.... waiting for the verification.... =D

Congrats. You guys are the real deal, not just local knowledge heroes. Going into a place sight unseen and getting it done, filling both tags..... have any idea what the success rate is on OTC public land elk?

Pretty cool. Thanks for taking us along. Great story. Great job.

01-Oct-15
Awesome guys! Way to go!

01-Oct-15
Way to get it done fellas!

01-Oct-15
Good for you guys!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

01-Oct-15
I truly enjoyed reading and seeing the pic's on this hunt / adventure.

01-Oct-15
Congrats. Great hunt and pics

01-Oct-15
Great hunt and excellent pics as always! Great post guys! C

01-Oct-15
Well Done!!!

01-Oct-15
Epic. Abso-frickin'-lutely EPIC!!

'Outstanding Red Team....get your case of beer for that one'

Thanks for sharing a truly unforgettable double header

01-Oct-15
Oh HELL YEA!! Well done guys. PnY should have a separate category for bowhunters who do it the hard way. Big Congrats to both of ya

01-Oct-15
I echo what otcWill said. Heck of a job boys and what great determination and team work.

trkyslr, im sorry for your loss, you could have turned and went home and nobody would have judged you poorly for it. That takes a lot of strength and character to stay up on the mountains and help out your hunting buddy. My hats off to you.

01-Oct-15
"The only direction we received is a general area a friend saw elk summering up high in August several years ago."

Aaahhhhh, I believe I also gave you a 7.5 topo map, photos, and where to camp and hunt. I can't help it took you a few days to figure out where it was. :) Darn greenhorns. :)

Congrats again, guys.

01-Oct-15
Congrats on some great animals and great fun!

01-Oct-15
Good job fellas! Awesome story!

01-Oct-15
Great experience and write up boys.. now get the hell out of our state :)

01-Oct-15
Congrats to both of you. What an experience!

01-Oct-15
Outstanding guys, congrats to you both on a great hunt!

01-Oct-15
Awesome guys!!! Congrats to you both!

01-Oct-15
Thanks guys for the comments... I'm already thinking of being back in the elk woods next year. Never get enough.

01-Oct-15
Now that was a hunt!

01-Oct-15
"Ftr, you are crazy for not using any water purification!! "

Gotta agree with Pop-r on this one, that caught my eye also. I've had giardia once. Purify your water, it's no fun.

01-Oct-15
Great hunt guys and way to get it done in a new area! Not many people can pull off what you did.

Roy, I remember sending you Topo's about 10 years ago when you were scouting high country muleys back when we were on MMadness. It's always a great feeling to see hunters helping each other out!

01-Oct-15
Great job, Cali Boys! Way to represent ;^)

You guys did very well, especially for a new OTC area.

Stone cold killers!

Best of Luck, Jeff

01-Oct-15
That was great! Congrats to both of you on hard earned trophys.

01-Oct-15
Awesome story! Congrats to both of you!

01-Oct-15
Fine job dudes! You guys are killers. Thanks for not posting what I really said about that tarp set up.

01-Oct-15

SDHNTR(home)'s embedded Photo
SDHNTR(home)'s embedded Photo
The joehunter8301 annual family ski trip circa 1986. That's Joe on the right. He still has the ski poles, obviously.

01-Oct-15
Lmao

01-Oct-15
Great hunt!

Great thread!

I didn't elk hunt this year and this thread has really made me wish that I'd gone. Well done gents. Fantastic job.

01-Oct-15
Congratulations on a great and successful hunt. This is one of the better threads I have read on here. Great pictures and great story. This is a very real and relatable elk hunt. Thanks for sharing it.

God bless, Steve

01-Oct-15
Nice work! Great pics!

01-Oct-15
That's what it's all about. Congrats on a great hunt !!

01-Oct-15
Great job! Congrats to both of you, and thanks for taking us along. Just made my desire to get back after Elk that much deeper!

01-Oct-15
Good work guys!! Congrats!

01-Oct-15
Nice job fellas, Thanks for sharing and a big Congrats!!

01-Oct-15
Thanks guys! Appreciate the responses

01-Oct-15
Outstanding... as expected. Nothing new here... Bad Ass. Ed F

01-Oct-15
Thanks everyone. Bighurt, Trkyslr is the ears and I am the eyes when we hunt. We both have our positive attributes and we know eachothers strengths and we usually both throw ideas into the pot and see what we come up with. Has been working pretty good for us. Trkyslr is usually the planner and I am more of a jump in head first let's see what happens type of guy. Saying that we both have helped eachother become better hunters individually. I have hunted with some other guys that I did not click with and it makes for a real tough camp.

01-Oct-15
OMG WTF BBQ!

Grats guys! The satisfaction you get when you do it the hard way is something that has to be felt to appreciate.

01-Oct-15
Way to go guys! Heck of a job making it happen! Big Congrats to Joe on his first bull! Nice work gentlemen!

01-Oct-15
Fantastic! Congratulations!

Loved the pics and your infectious smiles. The wife was wondering what I was looking at that had me grinning like an idiot.

Thanks for posting up your story.

01-Oct-15
Congrats to you both on your bulls & on a great adventure!

01-Oct-15
Great Job!!!! Beautiful Bulls and some great pics. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

01-Oct-15

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
Please adjust the setting on the second photo.... Joe and the pack are out of proportion.... Ed F

01-Oct-15
Congrats guys on a great trip, some beautiful pics, and some fine eating !

01-Oct-15
Congrats boys! Excellent adventure and I expect tasty tendorloins for dinner this month at Chris' when we get together.

01-Oct-15
Great job!! Nice pics too!

Congratulations!

01-Oct-15
Great accomplishment, congrats.

01-Oct-15
Big hurt, Trkyslr is the eyes too don't let Jf fool Ya... Lasics! Eagle eyes. Should off seen the giant bull joe spotted and stalked behind a tree ;-)

And on this trip we switched each day as shooter and choice of area depending on the setup etc. to be fair until one tag was filled... Funny is the day I killed was joes day to be shooter but bull came in from my direction. No matter how that worked out a filled tag(s) was our mission as a team.

01-Oct-15
Joe's sleeping bag is that big because they don't make sleeping bags 5'7" X 5'7"

It's tough being built like a brick shit house.

I can buy things size Medium and I don't even have to try them on cause I already know they fit.

02-Oct-15
Great job guys.

02-Oct-15
favorite pics; notchin the tags. way to get it done. you'll be back!

02-Oct-15
Congrats to u guys! Always enjoy your posts! Way to put the hammer down on that beast Joe!

02-Oct-15
Trkyslr is the ears and I am the eyes when we hunt.

Now that is comedy right there!

02-Oct-15
Thanks guys! Yes nate half true and I laughed as well. Ha!

02-Oct-15
Chris and Joe,

Congrats on two of life's greatest offerings:

-Adventure

-Friendship

Man, you guys are a fined tuned machine!

Congrats on two great bulls!

Mark

02-Oct-15
Nice job guys and sorry for your loss. Another note would you recommend the SteriPEN? Im thinking of getting one.

02-Oct-15
Thanks Mark and goelk! Goelk yes the steripen deff worked for me. A couple times I had to get water from a small pond/wallow in a bench that had to have some bad stuff in it and I didn't get sick. Id say it works. Used it twice a day for 9 days and battery level still good.

02-Oct-15
Sweet!

02-Oct-15
Wow....great job guys. Makes me want to go elk hunting again. Last time I went was 1985. My first and only time.

02-Oct-15
Great job elkslayers!!! Some hard earned bulls for sure. Enjoy the addiction :)

04-Oct-15
Thanks guys and Kyle there's nothing better!

04-Oct-15
Good job boys.

04-Oct-15
Great friends make a great team. Congratulations to both of you for getting it done the hard way.

04-Oct-15
Great job! Doesn't surprise me from you two! Slaying stuff wherever you go

04-Oct-15
Congratulations on the great adventure.

04-Oct-15
Ftr, you are crazy for not using any water purification!!

07-Oct-15
Thanks everyone. I think for the rest of my hunting career I am going to get septembers off work!! Nate, you know my style those ski poles are the chiznit!'

08-Oct-15
I love the look on some of the early pictures. Did you use a filter on them?

08-Oct-15

trkyslr's Link
Thanks wilderness and yes we do.. It brings out certain type of pics.

Here's a link to a video we put together of the hunt. Hope you like it.

08-Oct-15

08-Oct-15
Way to go Chris and Joe! Was out on a hunt last week and didn't see this earlier. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

08-Oct-15
Congratulations boys... you done good!

08-Oct-15
Well done Cali boyz!!

• Sitka Gear